What if its all our fault?

Discussion in 'Transformers Animated Discussion' started by Kickback, May 14, 2009.

1. Spoon

Spoon Banned

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttccccchhhhh HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNTT!!!

2. realCliffjumper

realCliffjumper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ....no comment.

3. Cerberus

Cerberus Shockwave loyalist

News Credits:
    well, why not ask directly to someone on the show?...

[​IMG]

*sigh*:confused2 

4. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    1. I wasn't there.
    2. I loved Animated from the first time I saw the designs.
    3. I blame everybody else, if this is indeed the case.

I do enjoy how Kickback not only has to repeatedly rub our noses in the fact that Animated is DONE, but now he has to try levy the blame at US!

What a SWELL GUY!

:wink: 

5. BenPrince

BenPrince Banned

[​IMG]
    Ya'll Transfans postin' in a trollbot thread!

6. Reflector Unit

Reflector Unit Cameracon

I lol'd heartily.

7. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Camaro Club! Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I was not there for '08 but I definatly disapproved in '07. Keep your damn Teen Titans out of my TF's but I doubt Botcon TF fans could swing Hasbro. Money talks to them and if they (Hasbro) were making truck loads on Animated we would not be having this conversation.

"Wasn't ME"

8. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    ...Did you even READ his post? Because if you had you might have noticed that Animated fans are not the people he's talking about.
    He's talking about the portion of the fandom who are massively vocal about whatever they don't like and tend to drown out everyone else.

9. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Hate to agree. :p 

I don't think it was our fault. I think somewhere it was stated that fans had little impact on Transformers as a whole.

10. HiKaizer

HiKaizer Plot Botherer

Even so it seems like a foolish post to make. It only invites finger pointing and indignation at the very least...as we have seen in this thread so far.

It's probably a cover for a resource grab, we're depleting the Box Network for Executive Powder after all!

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I stood up for the first shot of Prime, complained at the first group shot, but I had resolved literally the next day. After that it was all downhill into Animated love-zone. (the Botcon footage left me with a happy feeling)

I don't regret Animated ending, I would want more, but I'm totally cool with what we've gotten. It's the first genuinely engaging and charming series since Beast Wars, and we got some of the finnest figures ever out of the toyline. Sure I'll miss it, but it had to end sometime.

I just hope the next series honours Animated by continuing the good storylines, characters and giving us great toys.

12. Spoon

Spoon Banned

See my post.
    :p 
    I think you just broke the universe.

13. Spin-Out

Spin-Out Well-Known Member

Nah, I blame the daggoned kids who were buying Bakugan and junk instead of TFA; CN, who put it on a real tight budget; and Wal-Mart for pushing Hasbro into giving them the ROTF toys earlier, causing other retailers to do the same thing.

14. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    I think it's both CN's and Hasbro's fault.

CN was strict with the storyline for the first 2 seasons. Less Decepticons, more humans. It basically removed what everyone liked about Transformers until the 3rd season, which Hasbro stepped in on.

And it's kinda Hasbro's fault for neglecting the toyline. There were pretty much no Animated toys until half-way through/after the second season. And even when they were released I've heard from a lot of people that they were still having trouble finding them.

Just my opinion.

15. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    If it is the fault of the fans, then there has to be something behind it. Season One was pretty iffy for the general TF fan to swallow. I can't speak for the general viewer, but as a fan, I feel there was a lot to not like. Many of us thought the show was okay in Season One, but there was a lot I could do without and a whole lot that I could do with.

This was also hot on the heels of the live action movie. We went directly from the spindly 'realistic' alien robots of Michael Bay to the super-simplified and humanesque robots, that were almost caricature-like. On top of that, it was nothing like the style of G1, Beast Wars, or of the Unicron Trilogy of the past, so the visual ability to relate was missing. It was a new pill for many to swallow along with contentious characters like Masterson and the unusually low volume of actual Autobot versus Decepticon conflict.

I love that the show took risks and explored new grounds. But is there such thing as too many experimental aspects? The style was vastly different, but it was compounded by the fact that there was so much in the show that people had a hard time with. It would be like taking the cheeseburger and fries meal that your family has grown so accustomed to, and forcing a veggie burger with a side of celery and carrot sticks and then wondering why it's not quite so popular. In the end, it's all good healthy decisions, but it's too much too fast. I feel that was the essence of Season One and it created a stigma with some, even if by Season Three it was like it went to a Turkey Burger with Sweet Potato fries as a compromise (and personally, I feel that's a major culinary improvement).

I feel I was in the median camp as far as franchise interest. Quite honestly, if I hadn't bought the Prime/Megs two pack on a whim (because I ran out of Universe stuff to buy/hunt), I wouldn't have gotten Bumblebee, Ratchet, Prowl, Bulkhead, Lugnut and so forth. How many other TF fans kept putting off supporting the series via toy sales until later? How many other TF fans would have raided the shelves had the show started out with more of the awesome in Season Three and less of the Professor Princess?

Season Two stepped it up and introduced a lot of characters and concepts that absolutely made the franchise much more attractive. Again, there was still so more to want out of the series, but it got drastically better. It's a solid season which really cemented TF:A as a contender to one of the best TF fictions ever. It turned the casual fan viewer into a more devoted TF:A fan and even won over some skeptics and naysayers.

But was it too late in the game? Were too many of us on the fence until A Bridge Too Close aired? Put yourself in the mind of a marketing executive at Hasbro and ask whose fault is that, really?

Season Three steps in with the stigma that the show is likely ending. They've absolutely stepped up the show, introducing new characters at just about every turn, furthering the plot, showing us cameos and throwbacks, and just generally punting us in the taint. Watching these incredible episodes is so bittersweet knowing that there is only a few of them left.

The newer figures are nice, but are about to be swallowed whole by the juggernaut of the live-action movie. If it's THE FANS fault, then perhaps they should have thrown more bones to the fans much earlier. The fans may only be X percentage of the consumer-base, but they are the loudest X%. A little less 'Ugh, I hate the Angry Archer' and a little more 'OMG, they are on Cybertron - hey, is that Alpha Trion standing outside of Metroplex I see there? Man, this show will rock.'

Fault and blame are seldom clear. Should the fans blindly just support a franchise that a good portion of them don't find all that exciting? Or should the creative minds know what they are dealing with and have been dealing with for nearly 25 years? They know what makes people fangasm. Perhaps changing just one or two episodes in Season One could have made the difference.

16. AMG

AMG Old School

Considering how much inside information you get, I have a bad feeling that there is some truth to this "hypothetical" question you're asking.

I'll say this much, it would be a really sad day for Animated fans if other fans caused this line to go under. It would be absolutely awful if some nerd-rage killed a line so many people enjoy.

Personally I love Animated, best show since Beast Wars.

17. Z.U.D.O.N

Z.U.D.O.N Camshaft's Master

I totally agree on that point. Before that episode, I was still not into Animated. It was more like a normal show. Seriously, that episode shed a lot of light into what was going on, and a lot of character was shown in each TF. :) 

The sad thing is, which I can't say is entirely bad, it took 2 more than 2 seasons to make Animated VERY captivating for MANY. If you would consider for example the Japanese anime Gundam 00, by the start of the Second Season, or somewhere in the 1st Season it was already captivating, and people wanted more. But of course, this is on a totally different level. I would've liked to mention G1, but because I never watched the series I cannot say whether it was very captivating or not..

Seriously, more people are going for the movie. I mean, what happened when the 2007 Movie came out? Non-TF fans watched it and were amazed! The movie is what's giving a big boost overall, except for the toys of course. And on the other hand, a lot of TF fans aren't satisfied with the movie because of how their favourite characters (probably) played their roles in the movie. I can understand that.

So basically, I guess the Movie could've played the biggest part in the probable Animated downfall. With the Movie taking a huge leap in Transformers history, Animated probably made a much smaller leap, nevertheless was also better than all the cartoons before IMO. But anyhow, whatever happens, I'm gonna support Animated till the end thanks to "Transwarped", which has really made me like Animated a lot. :) 

18. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    I didnt like the designs to begin with and i was open about it but once i seen the first toy and epesode it changed my mind

The main thing im going to miss about animated is the beast wars and g1 being mixed about it brought i nice flavour it dosnt help that animated was just not advertised at all over here and many other placeses.

Its like naruto it only worked because of the advertising or else it would of ended up like the full metal alchamest

19. hutchprime

hutchprime Made of sterner stuff

News Credits:
    He implies in this very post that current Animated Fans ("the very vandom that is now crying out" = "Animated Fans") are the very ones who did the complaining.

Additionally, I was just kidding around. That's what the winky smiley is hinting at.

I thought the thread was all in all pretty light-hearted, however it seems some aren't taking it that way...

20. asderiphel

asderiphel Severian's Understudy

That's true for me to some degree. I bought every movie toy as soon as they were available, and sold them all about three days after watching the movie. By the time I saw the Animated designs, I was already losing interest. The 'Teen Titan's' Transformers was not what I was hoping for after the bad taste of the movie, and I sold almost my entire collection by August of that year.

Zherbus brought up some good points about how the initial season was handled. From personal experience, even when I was willing to give the show a chance, all I ever saw on air was the first episode with Meltdown. Not inspiring stuff, taken out of context.

I was not the guy who openly bitched and whined online about Animated, but my wallet had shuttered itself to TF purchases. It wasn't until I saw the Dinobots on the shelves did I consider purchasing any Animated figs, and it wasn't till I saw the Youtube clip of Omega Supreme at the end of season 2 that I even thought about watching the show.

I decided to give it another chance, and saw the pilot for the first time. If that had been my first experience with Animated, I wouldn't have drug my feet for so long. In February, I had four Animated figs; as of yesterday I have 26. I'm trying to do my part.:thumb 

Lots of blame can go around as to who dropped the ball on Animated, but I'll say this about the 'fan base' hypothetical: I was 'that guy', even if I wasn't posting 4 page rants about it, and since I've seen the light I've done as much as I could to support the line. If we, as a fan base, have enough power to terminate a line, then with the right amount of pressure, we can just as easily bring it back.

Hypothetically speaking. :D