What if GI Joe the movie came out before TFTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jedi prime1, Jan 2, 2011.

1. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

As we all know, Duke got a reprive from death thanks to Optimus Prime's death. But if the joe movie came out before TFTM as it was suposed to, would Optimus have survived? How much would change? Would season 3 be completly diffrent?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Unlikely, as GI Joe didn't try to slaughter the entire season 1 and 2 cast in their film, and Duke wasn't nearly as prominent a character by the GI Joe movie, compared with Flint or ever Wetsuit and Leatherneck, and certainly not as iconic to the franchise as Optimus Prime is to Transformers.

Since the two were developed at the same time relatively independently of each other, I imagine very little would have changed. The changes to GI Joe were really only two or three lines of dialogue, after all.

3. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If the GI Joe movie had been released first then Duke would have died and we might not have gotten that horrible excuse for Duke in the GI Joe live action movie.

Not sure if it would have helped Prime since the movie would have required some major changes to keep from having all those dead Transformers. Just too much animation to be changed. Hasbro also seemed really set on replacing the older Transformers in the animation even if death wasn't used to replace them.

4. jasonmako

jasonmako Voyager

News Credits:
    Well if Cobra Commander still showed up in Only Human and Optimus Prime was there he would have ripped Starscreams ghost right out of him with that Ion Blaster. Yep would have happened.

5. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

If Joe had come out first.... TFTM wouldn't have made it to theatres... none of the characters would have died, no swearing, would not have had an all original score.... the animation would have had a huge drop in quality part way through, Orson Wells wouldn't have been Unicron, it would have premiered on TV.

On other words it would really suck.

6. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

And possibly the hospital scene with Duke in a coma.

7. Chris B

Chris B Well-Known Member

The way both movies tied into the shows has always made me think that had the order been reversed, one of the two films would've be dramatically different from what we got in reality. I mean, the story for the GI Joe movie couldn't have been done prior to the show's second season, so would TF's third season have been another Earth-based one with Optimus, Megatron, and the rest of the gang?

8. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    hospital bed to morgue, an easy fix.

9. Dex17113

Dex17113 Well-Known Member

I think it's difficult to know what would have happened.....

My guess is that it would have largely been based on how far the film was along in animation. They may have reanimated the last 5 minutes of the film and had Hot Rod open the Matrix and, instead of becoming Rodimus Prime - a grown up Hot Rod - he would have become Rodimus Prime, the new body of Optimus Prime - voiced by Peter Cullen.

That's about the only way I think they could have changed it (albeit, badly) with all the animation complete.

If the film hadn't been that far along in animation?....it's hard to say what they would have done, but my instinct says they would have prevented Prime from buying it, but left the rest of the death in.

Dex

10. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I highly doubt that the TF Movie would have been changed had the GI Joe Movie came out first with Duke dying and everyone gets in an uproar over Duke's death, much like what they did when they killed Optimus -- who's probably more iconic than Duke.

11. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If the G.I. Joe movie came first than Why see a upgrade versions of Cobra Commander,Destro, & Baroness.

12. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think there would have been a change. There wasn't the wholesale slaughter of earlier characters that TF had. Kids were not as attached to Duke as they were to Prime.

I could see TF not being released in theaters if GIJoe bombed like TF did. It probably would have been aired on TV before Season 3 since kids would be confused with such a change.

If there was a huge uproar over Duke, they could done the GIJoe think & add a few lines of dialog. I think the production was far along they couldn't have done any major changes. When Prime 'dies', have a line of dialog that he went offline until repairs can be made. Maybe have Blaster raidio Rodimus at the end & say that Optimus has woke up & the repairs on the other Autobots is going along fine.

Season 3 would have to had a few lines saying Optimus Prime is still being repaired & needs time to recover. S3 would have been far into production so they couldn't have had Prime around.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Then Optimus Prime was in a coma and at the end he wakes up takes the Matrix back from Rodimus and proceeds kicking his skidplate saying "You sunuva b**ch you tried to F**king kill me, Revenge is a B**ch!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!"

Ironically in real life I like Rodimus more than Optimus. :p 

14. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Nah, nothing would've changed much.

15. Lunar Archivist

True. Amusingly enough, the Japanese laserdisc version of G.I. Joe: The Movie apparently accidentally kept Scarlett's original line during Duke's "death" scene intact and she actually says that he's dead.

16. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Its been a long time since I saw the GI Joe movie, but I could swear that in the scene where
    Duke takes the spear
    , Hawk's mouth movements say something along the lines of "I'm sorry Flint, he's gone" instead of the re-recorded dialogue, which was something like "He's gone into a coma"

17. Lunar Archivist

Actually, Scarlett's the one who said he'd gone into a coma. Hawk's redubbed line was something along the lines of, "We'll do everything we can for Duke."

Also, Hawk was speaking to Falcon, not Flint. :) 

18. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Like I said, it's been a long time since I've seen the movie, but watch Hawk's lips during the scene.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From what I understood, death in cartoons on tv was not allowed. They had to make a random decision and tf won. Someone was going to die, either a Joe or a Former depending on who got the theatrical release. So if Joe did get picked then yes, there were plans for a death.