What if G1 Season 3 Was a Prequel?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Sep 21, 2016.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My friend and I were talking about this the other day. I was talking about how I always thought the TFTM had a series finale feel to is, what with the war being over and the Autobots winning. Also not to mention that a good chunk of the characters we knew were killed off.
    So, what if instead of season 3 taking place after the movie, it went back to "present day" (1986) and filled in part of the 19 year gap?
    I personally think that any emotional attachment to the characters would weaken, since we would already know what was going to happen. It's one of the reasons that I didn't like the Star Wars prequels. It's really hard to care for characters that you know won't live.

2. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Literally all of Season 3 is the consequence/expansion of events that occurred and ideas that were introduced in the movie. The changes that would need to be made to make it fit in the 1986 to 2005 timegap would change it into something completely distinct from Season 3 proper.

3. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I get what you are saying. I'm wondering how different everything for the franchise would have been if, not counting BW, that the movie was the end all of G1 and the rest of the series was a flashback of sorts.
    As far as season three being an expansion, there are elements I could have done without, like the insane Galvatron.

4. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

I thought batshit Galvatron was fun, he just needed to be written correctly.

Webworld is one of the best episodes of Transformers ever, imho.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

It's an interesting idea. But it wouldn't really have worked because the reformatted Decepticons would've been featured in their previous form. And it wouldn't have made a whole lot of sense to feature Megatron when they're trying to sell Galvatron.

6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Don't forget about the Humans, Rodimus Prime, & the Junkions.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  7. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    If written correctly, insane Galvatron could have worked for me. I always pictured him being on s Joker level of crazy, as opposed to the let's shot my one guys level we got.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It just wouldn't work.

It's not like Spongebob, where they ignore most of the stuff that happens in the movies. Season 3 is a direct continuation in every way.

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The Transformers cartoon was always a toy commercial first and a story to entertain children second. The show has to use the characters that Hasbro were selling as toys. But the writers were allowed to make up character personalities, backstories and concepts, also they kept a few characters in season three from past seasons such as Soundwave, Grimlock, Perceptor and Blaster but the main focus had to be on the new toys.

Japan did make a single episode set between season two and the movie called Scramble City which had the likes of Ultra Magnus in the present day I believe.

10. slochmoeller

slochmoeller Well-Known Member

It was kind of hard to understand what you were suggesting. At first I thought you were proposing an "alternate reading" of season 3, which wouldn't work at all. But you seem to be suggesting that you wonder what would have happened if season 3 were other than it was. In such a case it could take on any form, as you just don't know. It could have just been more season 2, or it could seriously have tried to tackle the change in status quo from season 2 to the movie, but we don't know. But if in a really round about way you are advocating some new story material that covers that gap, that could be interesting, but I believe some already exists.

11. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    That's what I meant. To the best of my knowledge, there has never been anything official set between season 2 and the movie.

12. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

I think it would be fun if Hasbro, Takara or IDW produced some fiction during this gap in time. But the likelihood of that happening is nil. TFTM did have a very strong 'finality' feel to it, I agree. Season 3 worked as is. And it wouldn't have worked in the way you imagined because it wouldn't sell the new toys.

13. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

15. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I don't think prequel's became hot until the 2000s :) 

That said, coming off the heels of the movie, it wouldn't make sense to jump back that far. I think the idea was to keep the momentum going with the new guys.