What if Decepticons decided to overthrow Galvatron in season 3 of G1

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by TransformatoresRomae, Jun 15, 2024.

1. TransformatoresRomae

TransformatoresRomae Rex totae viae in ho humillimus orbis

1000046156.jpg
    How would things turned out if Motormaster Swindle and Laserbeak(Soundwave???) really have ended Galvatron's rein ? Who would have become their new leader ? Or would they have a single leader ? Would it change the course of war ? What would be the reaction of the Autobots and Expelled Blitzwing to this ?

1000046158.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. TransformatoresRomae

I think Motormaster would imidiatelly step up to become the new leader of Decepticons (but not an absolute one, he would probably rule the Decepticons with the help Soundwave and Combaticons

Motormaster was
    loyal to Megatron, Unlike Starscream he had probably quickly realised that no Decepticon had any real chance against Megatron on the
    way of leadership, so he initialy decided
    to support and protect Megatron even
    on Megatron's most dire situations like
    "Starscream's Brigade" as he slowly builds
    up his own strenght and reputation among
    other cons in the mean time. Then after the
    events of 86 Movie Megatron was no more
    Hence Motormaster had begun to delve
    more into Decepticon power struggle. Like
    in case of "Five Faces of Darkness" where
    he almost single handedly convined and
    rallied other Cons. Ironically He was also
    the one who convinced other cons to give
    up their energon to re-surrect Galvatron,
    which indicates that he was aware of a fully
    Competent Galvatron with army of sweeps
    and ever so loyal Cyclonus would become
    an undisputed leader and supporting him
    is still a better idea than trying to oppose
    him. However once it finally became
    clear that Galvatron can no longer be a
    competent leader. Motormaster for the first
    time, openly revolted against Decepticon
    leader and it seems like he managed to
    gain support of Swindle(Combaticons) and Laserbeak(Soundwave???) too !

but this absolutelly does not mean that he could hold on to his position for long tho, I can see Cyclonus/Onslaught or Predacons overthrowing him in future

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think you have the shuttle scene from the G1 movie all over again - assuming they could actually overpower Galvatron and his loyalists (which seems likely, if enough decepticons acted together), who fills the power vacuum? It feels like every second Decepticon feels like they should be in charge. The combiner team leaders would probably all vie for the top (and maybe cancel eachother out), and Soundwave is also there in the shadows (though without the favor he had from Megatron, his power is diminished). You make a good case for Motormaster, especially with the other stunticons like Swindle helping him play politics.

• Like Like x 2
  4. TransformatoresRomae

Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

Well, we've seen what post-Thrull Galvatron is capable of - just look at what he did in "Webworld" (which is where I'm pretty sure that photo is from lol)

They'd stage a coup, but Galvatron would just bash them all around again and probably kill them. Blitzwing would stay out of it, as would the Autobots, but they'd have to intervene at some point since they know he'll go after them once he finishes with his troops.

However, if the coup did succeed, Cyclonus would immediately seize command, but everyone else would also want to. The combiner teams may team up to overthrow him (with Swindle being the advisor to Motormaster and Onslaught), then doublecross each other, Soundwave would watch in the shadows and wait for the right moment, Astrotrain would also be trying to take control, and we'd basically just have a Decepticon Civil War a la the Marvel comics. (And Blitz and the Autobots would once again stay out of it until they pose a threat to them and not each other.)

6. TransformatoresRomae

Yeah but now I think that Decepticons were not really trying to overthrow each other in Five Faces of Darkness, and They actually managed to work together successfully for some time, I know they had no energon to fight and they have already set their focus on a common goal, but still Don't you think that it shows that Decepticons have even a little bit of a chance to work as a oligarchy ?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Cyclonus is off the table if Galvatron is, imo. He seemed completely loyal to Galvatron, so if Galvatron was ~removed~, I figure he'd be right there with him, either dead, in exile, or working to put Galvatron back on top. He's certainly a powerhouse in his own sense, and fairly professional by Decepticon standards as well, but I don't see him as a leader, only a follower.

Onslaught, yeah, he's a contender, but I feel like even with the power the combaticons have, and his decent sense of leadership, that he'd be undermined politically by other factions who are better at the less militaristic aspects of leadership (say, the Stunticons). Onslaught's character profile paints him as a tactician and a perfectionist, but not really skilled in intrigue or dealing. Whoever gets his (and the combaticons) support is in a much stronger position to be leader, though.

More like an OILigarchy, am I right?!

No but seriously the ability to cooperate and not undermine eachother is one of the biggest differences between the Decepticons and the Autobots (traditionally). Could they work together for survival as a 'collective' without necessarily having a leader? Sure, I think they could make it work in the short term, but in the long term there would always be factions vying to be the top of the heap until one became the (at least mostly) unquestioned ruler.

• Like Like x 1
  8. TransformatoresRomae

Well, As I have stated above Motormaster was seem to be slowly going down on that path. I too don't think Onslaught would have that much of a chance against him. But then who would oppose them ? There is no fricing way for Decepticons to accept rightaway a barely 25 years old earthborn Stunticon no matter how competent or ready he was, right ?

• Like Like x 1
  9. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

Exactly

There's actually Eugenesis quote that sums this up pretty well lol:

"Having said that, if you ever get tired of being a do-gooder, the Decepticons offer some great benefits: an ever-changing leadership, incredible backstabbing opportunities and a guaranteed climate of fear."

10. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    I agree - Like I said, you made a good case for Motormaster, but he's not a clear winner - it'd be chaos for at least a while (like the shuttle fight, but on a much bigger scale).

I do have one more candidate we could consider though - Scourge. He shows he's got ambitions above his station in Season 3, but he also shows he's pragmatic enough to back a winning horse (going from "but we belong to him" to bending the knee to Galvatron). He's clearly got power in the decepticon command structure (gets sent on a lot of missions, even when dealing with internal affairs), and he's a pretty powerful guy - who knows how much advanced tech he received in his reformatting by Unicron, and how much of that power he still has access too (though we don't see him able to completely outclass the Autobots) - and that's before considering his sweeps, sort of a S3 analogy to the seekers. There's limitations to both his physical power and his political power, but I still think he'd be a decent bet in the race for a Decepticon leader.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hail Galvatron

Hail Galvatron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be a hell of a fight.

Galvatron's guaranteed loyalist is Cyclonus. Scourge would lean towards Galvatron but, as previously stated, being a pragmatist, he could switch sides if he saw a benefit. The Sweeps go where Scourge goes.

Soundwave, well, I guess that depends. I think Cyclonus would court keeping Soundwave on their side - but even with his team there was some descent as Laserbeak was among the Decepticons unsatisfied with Galvatron's leadership.

One team that I think would side with Galvatron are the Predacons. They always seemed happy with him on top, their main interest is "the hunt" and Galvatron was giving them plenty of opportunities to do just that. Keeping Predaking in your corner is a very big gun. I don't think Razorclaw would take orders from Onslaught or Motormaster.... whom are both likely his peers in the command structure but, if Predaking is considered the mightiest combiner, he'd likely look down upon.

Galvatron ruled the Decepticons through terror. I think there's plenty he'd be able to keep in line through that terror; unless they were absolutely confident that Motormaster and Swindle could pull this off.

The largest wildcard in all of this would be the Quintessons who would have a vested interest in the outcome. Which way they'd lean is anyone's guess. They've been able to successfully manipulate Galvatron before, but he's also just as much of a threat to them. I think Motormaster would be child's play.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    • Like Like x 3
  12. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

The Quints would probably do what the did with the Xetaxxians and Lanarq and supply both sides with weapons of war

• Like Like x 3
  13. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    They did it through Scorponok in the JP Hm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. IGEBM

IGEBM The Loremaster

they didn't overthrow him, they just abandoned him once they found out he planned to kill them all to fulfill his insane Grand Galvatron scheme

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I'd have loved an episode like this, just a Decepticon civil war, with the Quints stirring the pot.

Galvatron being not just more powerful, but more unpredictable than Megatron (not to mention Megs was only overthrown because of his injuries) would be pretty interesting, and I think you're right that most of the "new blood" would be on Galvatron's side whilst it was everyone who remembered Megatron and his leadership who rebelled.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Patient Shockwave

Patient Shockwave Well-Known Member

IMHO the decision has already been made by the practical logistics. Shockwave was left in charge to run the war on Cybertron. Then Megatron basically disappeared for 4 million years. During Unicron's attack on Cybertron in TFTM, we see a brief scene of how many Decepticons were scrambling to form some kind of defense against Unicron. Based on the raw numbers there shown, even with casualties, and even with Unicron probably burning tons of them alive later in that big melting vat, it's hard for what amounts to some small units that are basically scouting size forces, over take an entire army.

At any given point on Earth, what did Megatron have at his disposal? 15-20 Decepticons in total? Shockwave had how many under his command for four million years?

Let's say Devastator wants to be in charge. OK, what if Shockwave sends 200 Seekers to bring down Devastator?

IIRC, even the early comics made Shockwave the primary leadership alternative/antagonist to Megatron.

17. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I always had a theory (S1 & 2) that if you remove Megatron, Starscream & maybe Soundwave, the war would actually come to an end. All the others seemed to be followers. They may be a nuisance from time to time, but they weren't out there attacking cities. The'd probably just go off to live. Maybe raid a few factories for supplies but killing everyone.

In that one Terminator Crossover series, once the top leaders were killed, Thundercracker, Skywarp and I think the Insecticons just gave up and went with the Autobots. The didn't want to fight them.

18. Agent 53

Agent 53 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine that the infighting would most likely cause the Decepticons to splinter into smaller subgroups, which would play to the Autobots favor, as they would be easier to take down, one at a time.