what if blast off and brawl were replaced

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Achilles1943, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Achilles1943

Achilles1943 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    some time ago there was talk that in the last knight, bruticus would be made from onslaught, vortex, swindle, blitzwing and oil slick ...

I thing the guy who reported this got it no wikipedia, which means no once ever talked about it again

I know it is a strange thing to bring up again, especially since it is assumed to be false, but I am really curious to know what the public opinion would be if this happened

keep in mind, your answers can contain lots of stuff :

#1 - what you think of a triple changer being part of a combiner
    #2 - what role could oil slick play
    #3 - what would happen to the second arm

my answers would be :

#1 - very original. he could stay in tank mode, similar to brawl, while forming the leg
    #2 - chest piece or weapon (a shotgun would be awesome !!!)
    #3 - yeah ... no idea about this one ... maybe onslaught has a trailer for his truck mode that can transform into an arm !?

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

No

• Like Like x 2
  3. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Blitzwing and Oil Slick would just be names, anyway. I learned a long time ago that all preconceived notions on characters go into the dumpster when talking Bay movies.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Achilles1943

News Credits:
    but what if this idea was used on another corner of transformers instead of the movies !?

5. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    What do you mean? Blast-Off made a jet and called Blitzwing and Brawl renamed Oil Slick? It would just look like Combiner Wars Bruticus with different names...so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

I mean, I guess you could force a traditional Blitzwing as an arm (who would look either like Brawl or jet Blast-Off anyway) and Oil Slick as a leg would just be a repainted Groove...

6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Taking Blast Off and Brawl from the team would reduce Bruticus' cool factor by 60 percent. Swindle being part of the team already drags them down 20 percent. replacing BO and Brawl by Blitzwing and especially Oil Slick would create a Derrick J Wyat space time rift that would suck up all the coolness Onslaugt and Vortex bring to the team resulting in a Bruticus who will constantly suffer from a negative coolfactor of 85 percent. He cannot possibly be expected to sell toys under those conditions.
    Please do not make this mistake !
    Blast Off and Brawl need to remain part of the Combaticons in order for the team to be succesfull !

7. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Then the effect would be even more disastrous.
    To reverse this we would have to replace every Blitzwing in the Multiverse by a Quake and every Swindle by a Crankcase.
    Actually that's a very good idea.

How about in a future movie and cartoon we have a Quake and a Cranckase, Cranky has his MTMTE popularity going for him and Quake could revisit his anarchist portrayal from Costas run and team up with movie Quillfire.

8. Fallout

Fallout no one can see me cry

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    i don't get it. why would bruticus be missing an arm?

9. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Just shows how weak a "new" idea is when it has to lean so hard on the old branding. Isn't anybody curious how these space robot explosion movies would've done without a handful of trademarks slapped all over?

10. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Aren't all combiner members technically triple changers?

11. MrSoundmeister

MrSoundmeister Bang,Bang Boom!

No on replacing blast off and brawl with some other guys in the last knight or no on onslaught forming any part of a combiner period in the last knight?

Cuz' i don't get the vagueness of it.

12. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Waiting for bite in sales thread.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Bruticus was in TLK, Brawl would need a replacement anyway given that he's several types of dead now.

13. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

I think it was called 'Energon' where all members of Bruticus (Maximus) were not even nameslaps of guys from the G1 Combaticons.

Unfortunately, Bruticus is the odd one out when it comes to adapting his combination profile, because of Blast Off being a rather random addition as a space shuttle for an arm. The shitstorm over how CW Bruticus simply slapped together a repaint of Slingshot/Quickslinger was mosty over how the most recognizable alt. mode of the Combaticons was left out, instead replaced with a repainted aerialbot with the wrong head (Hasbro went for the more accurate eyes, turns out people would have preferred the mouthplate), whereas Takara went and made a proper Blast Off even if he has to partsform to do it.

Now, the problem really isn't with the trademarks, though - nameslaps who are only true to the original in name alone is nothing new, even one of the major reasons people keep thinking Bruticus is all but confirmed is because the name Onslaught is tied to TF5, even though he's not a large military truck and people somehow forgot Brawl died in the first film anyway. The problem lies in people constantly expecting names to actually be binding proof that so-and-so from G1 by that name is being put in wholesale despite every sequel film proving this is not guaranteed with the likes of Wheelie, Jetfire, Skids, Sideswipe, Barricade (the G1 guy was a micromaster racecar!), Laserbeak (never perched on Megatron IIRC), Hound, Crosshairs, and of course the aforementioned Onslaught.

I'm inclined to say yes only because as far as toy development goes, the combined modes need to be treated as a third alt. mode for incorporation. However, that's only on a technicality, since nominally triple changers are designated such because they have two distinct alternate configurations operable by the individual transformer alone - and there are transformers with two alt. modes who are not regularly considered triple changers. I.E. G1 Galvatron, who in addition to the tank mode does in fact have a gun mode in a neat little nod to his origin, but traditionally this unused form is overlooked and he just has the robot/tank modes (though thanks to TR giving him the jet, he is a proper triplechanger once more).

Brawl being replaced would be necessary given he kinda died back in the first film.

And while I already do not plan on seeing TF5, I hope to God they don't try another combiner. Devestator was a giant pile of disappointment who actually does more to contribute to a fight in the Universal Studios Theme Park attraction than he does in ROTF, and even then while he was busy eating sand you had dudes supposedly part of him - namely Long Haul, Red Scrapper, and Mixmaster - actually taking part in the main fight with the Autobots.

14. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    And yet they purposely use those names to draw in people who recognize the original characters those names refer to. They didn't have the courage to market a film about Truckster and the Cartrons versus the evil Defraudabots. Perhaps the same explodorific robo-wrasslin' film connoisseurs would've flocked to them anyway. Do they think they're deriving some kind of prestige from working on a brand name, above and beyond what the work itself would merit?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  15. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Nah, there's no need. I appreciate an expansion of an original team but I don't like original team members being dropped for the sake of being dropped. Even though we saw new characters in Combiner Wars, we did still get Slingshot, Wildrider and Groove later. That's fine by me. I really don't mind if a combiner team has more members than it is possible to combine simultaneously with.

However, I don't expect that from combiners in other series. Energon combiners had new names but they aren't the same team as their equivalents in G1. So thats perfectly okay. Brawl and Blast Off should always be members of the G1 Combaticons.

16. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    That was Devastator, who just happened to share his name with the ROTF construction vehicle behemoth.

Although if there can be possibly two Devastators in the movieverse, why not two guys named Brawl? Never bought the idea that Cybertronian names are unique identifiers. Even if the tank in the first movie was "a" Brawl, that doesn't necessarily preclude another Brawl being part of Bruticus.

17. Achilles1943

News Credits:
    we have seen a lot of "clone cons" in the movies

they could just claim the brawl of the 1st film was only a clone, like the dotm "brawl"

• Like Like x 1