What Has Been Your Favorite Line To Collect?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheIronBot, Nov 27, 2016.

1. TheIronBot

TheIronBot Well-Known Member

Hi! I am wondering what everyone's Favorite toy line has been to collect?

2. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Classics through Generations, no contest. You can't beat the price and the accessibility. I tried collecting Alternators and picked up a few MPs, but no other line keeps my interest like Generations. I had a couple of movie figures too, but sold them. You don't get the variety in any other line, either.

My collecting kicked into high gear with Thrilling 30th, and then into overdrive with Combiner Wars. I've tried to cut back a bit with Titans Return. The first two remain my favorite parts of Generations.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed collecting the Robots In Disguise (2001) toyline. That was the line that brought me back to the brand and the first one I collected as a grown person making my own money. The first TF toyline I hunted for, driving miles and miles to check TRUs and Targets 40 minutes away. It helps that many of the toys were fantastic figures that still hold up today.

But even though they were great toys, I understand it was the experience, more than anything else, that makes the toyline stand out for me.

4. Large

Large Currently blablabla

News Credits:
    MP (official or 3P) and Titans Returns. And I didn't plan to collect TR toys at first, just three specific ones. Then they hooked me. I just love that line, I play with them exactly like I played 30 years ago.
    Which is crazy, right ? Even if I love some CW or T30 figures too, there is just something more with TR. Whatever that is.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Beast Wars, so many interesting alt modes and figures that didn't even appear on the show.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Generations. I prefer Masterpiece, no competition, but after the trouble getting MP Soundwave and trying to figure out if I was even allowed to own an MP Megatron over here I don't currently associate that hunt with fun. Generations is much more accessible for all its budget related faults.

7. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    As much as I love collecting Titans Return, distribution has kind of killed a bit of the fun for me.

I think the peek of my collecting when I was buying Fall of Cybertron, Prime, and Beast Hunters was where all the fun was for me, heck I think I'd place the three lines in my top five favorite series I went full on completist with them. Way to many good figures came out between 2012 and 2014. Of course I had a blast with Thrilling 30 too, even if it was a pain in places like the Skids wave, the whole series was a fun one to collect with amazing character choices.

8. DestinedAnarky

DestinedAnarky I want more cosmic MCU

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Combiner Wars brought me back into collecting. So, I love that line for lots of reasons. Titans Return is a great line and I enjoy collecting it, but I have less love for headmasters than I have for combiners. So, it doesn't rank as number one in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The Headmaster characters appeal more to me than most of the characters who got toys in Combiner Wars, but it is a close second place.
    CW however was better executed than TR i feel:
    So far the qc issues seem about equal, so
    no statements regarding that.
    The main thing is that with UW you tended to get the whole team of a combiner and with CW most of the time that was also true, and you knew beforehand that was the case of any specific combiner.
    With TR there seems to be more randomness a la thrilling thirties or in anycase there is more uncertainty wether we'll get more targetmasters, powermasters, horrorcons?
    TR for its part has going for it that the figures look a lot more different due to creative use of remolding etc while cw had a lot of straight repaints sometimes even without a new head.
    So CW or rather UW is my favorite modern line so far, but TR is a very close second place.

10. herugrim

herugrim N/A

Ebay:
    Classics - Generations - Combiner Wars - Titans Return

So great too see so many classic characters reimagined with updated designs, readily available, and for a good price. You can't discount the volume, either. We're finally getting into characters that haven't been featured or homaged in decades, which is great. Third party figures are too pricey, always out of stock, questionable quality (deco and engineering are good but that doesn't mean squat when the figure breaks out of the box). Masterpiece is a little cheaper but being so faithful to a thirty year old cartoon isn't all it's cracked up to be. Both MP and 3P come out slowly and only tend to focus on favorites (how many times do we need Dinobots/constructicons, only one group did Alpha Trion, only a few have tried Nova, nobody's taken a swing at Sentinel or Zeta). Takara/Tomy does better paint apps but the extra cost (in shipping) and the wait for it to sail across the sea and then having to pick it up at the post office a month later because USPS doesn't deliver to my door. Just isn't worth it.

Special nod to Revenge of the Fallen and Dark of the Moon. A lot of people look down on the films but they brought engineering to a whole new level, before deciding to make nothing but blown up legion class figures. ROTF Optimus and Starscream, DOTM Sentinel are all MP quality figures without doubt.

11. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both the TR and CW have been my favorite to collect. It's fun to pull out all of them with my son and have a huge battle like I did when I was a kid.

12. DesertDog

DesertDog Gone Fission’.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    WfC/FoC and Masterpiece are tied although CW/UW and TR are very close. FoC Prime started my collecting again and I'm nearly done. I'm into Masterpiece until they run out of G1 characters.

13. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Like picking your favourite amoung your own children - you really shouldn't have to.

Loved Beast Wars, loved Car Robots, loved Energon, loved Classics and still do. Even though they are subsets of Generations And still have that "New Shiny!" Feel still I think Combiner Wars into Titans Return may turn out to be the best yet and my all time Favourites.

It's a good time to be a TF collector.

14. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I hope my sig doesn't give anything away :confused2 

• Like Like x 1
  15. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    For me over the last 20 years or so, on balance I'd say the vintage G1 Transformers have been most enjoyable because of the mix of challenge, nostalgia, reward and how much I actually adore interacting with the figures. Allied to their display value it's been a wonderful experience. With things like Animated and Titans Return, the play value has been huge and just having them at hand to play with regularly has brought a huge amount of pleasure to my hobby. With masterpiece they are visually arresting and scratch an itch I never believed would get scratched, but that class of figure and its 3P equivalents are not the toys I reach for when I just want to mess about and have a TF at hand. My Diaclone collection has been my greatest achievement and the rewards/satisfaction for uncovering a new variant, long lost release or just finally adding another to my collection are unrivalled, but the cost and concern about preservation, thoughts about whether I'd be doing myself and family a favour by selling them and cashing in etc, well it is a factor that acts against enjoyment. Plus the last few I'm looking for have never been seen and that's a right royal pain, knowing what I'll have to shell out should one appear tomorrow.

So yeah, I'm gonna go with G1 Transformers.

EDIT: I still have a lot of love for Alternators and Binaltech, as that was a hugely exciting and special time, and the toys (to me) still stand up well to scrutiny. It never got crazy expensive, I met some great friends and it introduced me to much of the activities I take part in within the community today. Collecting MTMTE has been a blast too :) 

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    CHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG.

Mainline was fun (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) but like all good things, it always ends as Hasbro pursue the Power Rangers 'reset every few years' model that seems prevalent everywhere.

Masterpiece was fun too, but the multiple times it's changed direction has put a crimp on my enjoyment of that. Binaltech/Alternators/WST's... ended.

But Classics... evolving into Universe, into Generations and carrying on to Combiner Wars and now Titans Return? That long term time frame coupled with (generally) easy availability and mainline cost (read 'cheap') means my enjoyment of what began life as 'Classics' in 2006 (a decade ago!) is second to none with regards to Transformers.

Hmmm. Upon analysis dare I say that CHUG is the longest run of a Transformers line ever? G1 managed 6 years, Masterpiece changed direction with MP-10 enough to not be considered the same line and while Classics has always changed a bit over the years it's core idea of updating old characters (and sprinkling in a few new ones) has remained consistant.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You are correct, sir. (leaving aside Masterpiece as being 2 lines, which I agree is a fair argument to make)

On the other hand, one could make the argument that there's been enough of a shift in CHUG -- first delivering updates of classic characters in new forms, to now more closely recreating classic characters -- to consider that two separate lines as well.

• Like Like x 1
  18. DecepticusPrime

DecepticusPrime "Essential" Personnel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Energon and cybertron were the first lines I bought as an adult with my money so they will always have a soft spot in my heart.
    Ongoing as to be CHUG though as I grew up on g1

19. GR1ML0CK

GR1ML0CK Dinobot Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Love MP and 3P but classics are the glue that holds it all together. TR is continuing to hold me cause I can't stop buying the figures

20. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    i had a ton of fun collecting movie figures when i had ideas for turning them into G1 homages. then i realized my collection was 90% characters i had no attachment to and i was sick of the movie aesthetic.