What happens when G1 fans begin to age out?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Canbot, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

By then the AIs will have taken over anyway, and I think it's a safe bet that our future robot overlords will be Transformer fans.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

2. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Assuming I'm not some freaky accident, I'm sure some will pass this on to their children. It was the G1 box set I wanted for Christmas when Armada (or was it RID?).
    Of course I also dared to wear a bow tie and fez to high school so maybe I am a freaky accident never to be repeated ad all that will be left of Transformers will be Titan Bumblebee toys.
    Edit: I've commented on this thread before? Sod it. Suppose I went into more detail here, although at least I didn't try to Erie the previous on on a phone.

3. cagey

cagey Well-Known Member

GOOD LORDA! That's supposed to be confidential.

Treat us to a good video, I could use some laughs. (Although I am a gee1 myself.)

Halle-frickin-lleujah, Sir! Quote of the year!!!
    :bay :bay :bay 

4. Collectobot

Collectobot Member

Well, I'm a brand new collector at age 43 thanks to the Combiner Wars series. Saw Megatron in the store and absolutely fell in love with him.

I'm up to 13 now, including Masterpiece Optimus Prime.
    I think as long as Hasbro keeps making great figures, somebody will buy them.

5. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    G1 will always be around in some form. We have already seen fan "clashes" between different segments of the TF fandom. One would hope that we could all get along.

I would guess that the live action movies brought in a lot of new fans as well as bringing back some old fans. I'm thinking that many of the new fans probably joined up and then were surprised to see such vocal representation by the G1 fans. I expect that the live action movie fans will become more vocal and numerous as time goes on. Much in the same way that G1 fans fondly recount their memories of watching the G1 cartoon, the 86 movie and getting their first transformer toy, I expect that within the next 10 years we will get live action movie fans recounting stories about their experiences with the 2007 movie and their first transformers toys.

6. TFormerfan

TFormerfan Maximal

I always had this same thought and it made me worried that they wouldn't finish the masterpiece because the older fan base had passed away

7. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Heck, that's a good reason for us to stay healthy and live a very long time!! Being around to see the masterpiece line completed sounds like a pretty solid reason for making it to 80+ !!

8. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    Not a thread, a rule. Or law.

9. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Which is why movie toys are a good investment, especially 2007 and RotF. It will take some time but THOSe are the toys adults will be looking for 15 years from now.

10. Metal Sonic

Metal Sonic Slightly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have literally no connection to G1. Grew up with Animated. Barely seen the original cartoon.

But, and I don't know why, but whenever I think of Optimus Prime, Starscream, Prowl, Smokescreen etc. etc., for some reason the G1 designs and voices are what my mind automatically thinks of. When I look at Movie Starscream or Animated Prowl, despite being far more familiar with those designs, characters, and in some cases liking the portrayals MUCH better than the ol' cartoon, they're not THE stand-out versions of those characters to me.

I think that's how G1 will always live on, with every window-boobed Prime, monotonous-voiced Soundwave, traitorous Starscream. The very use of Optimus Prime is a reference to G1. G1 may be a bad cartoon, terrible even, but it's imprinted a lot of good, distinctive things into the name Transformers. 30 years from now people will still want to see the heroic town sheriff fight the bucketheaded conquering ham, maybe not because they grew up with G1 but another, much later cartoon that gifted them knowledge of those characters and concepts, characters and concepts which are no matter how developed or changed ultimately references to G1.

11. SuperGiantThing

SuperGiantThing Artist When I Feel Like It

News Credits:
    I was born in the 90s and even though i love beast wars, G1 is what i think of when i think of the transformers brand. I recently sat down and rewatched beast wars with my nephew and brother and guess what? My nephew grew up with the movies but he thinks of beast wars first. There will always be some fans of any series as long as they know of it.

12. Enterlaw

Enterlaw Well-Known Member

It's all cyclical. There will always be someone to collect this stuff, even as the market dwindles, so too, will supply. I imagine that, over time, a well cared for collection of Transformers will still retain and probably improve on it's value.

13. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    I think all the last comments bear truth. When I think how there was a new version of The Timemachine by the grandson of H.G. Wells. But I grew up watching the 1950s version of The Timemachine. Which was more than 30 years before my birth. But I still think this is the best movie. The new one has great visuals and also interesting elements, but I prefer the old movie. And the book. The book is from 1895.

14. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    This may not prove true.

I have a friend in the movie poster market. He says his older early-20th century posters are becoming harder and harder to move. But the cheaper posters from the 70-80's are booming and increasing in value steadily. There comes a point where people just start to forget and/or those who want theirs from the vintage period have what they want and don't want to spend any more thousands of dollars on old pieces.

Will that happen with Transformers someday? Transformers may prove more resilient than some other properties...but right now, many of those old 70's and 80's toys are probably peaking in value. When you get to the 50's and 60's of the 21st Century, I imagine a large slow down on G1 memorabilia.

15. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

I'd say it's already beginning to happen in some small fashion. I just got out of my Leader Movie bots (I still have a few on ebay left) and I was really surprised by the good prices they moved for. Nothing completely stunning, but I'm pretty sure I made my money back...no small feat for TFs these days, unless they're particularly hard to find.

One of my reasons for getting out was their size. It was just getting too tough to store them all. Plus, they were sealed for the most part and I was getting worried about all the batteries for the voice gimmicks. So now they're in better places, I'm sure...hopefully being used and displayed.

While I'm sure they'll still appreciate in value, the whole battery thing will always be an issue: crack it open to remove the batteries, or leave them in to leak and possibly damage the toy? I would almost go so far as to say the nostalgia of those TFs might be comparable to G1 in some small way: think about it, we had the G1 era last for about five years max? Yet these movies are still in production, kids are still going to see them and the toys were some of the coolest TFs ever, IMO. Those sealed Leaders should bring in the bucks someday, but like most toys, they make poor investments when compared to other investments. Believe it or not, one of my reasons for getting into TFs again with the ROTF line was the thinking that even if I never opened 'em up, they'd probably be worth something someday.

16. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Hmm, that is a good point. One way to think of it is: who is interested in buying G1 toys? The answer would likely be - people who grew up with those toys as kids and have a real love for them. That would typically be people who grew up in the 1980's. People growing up in the 80's are now mostly in their 30's and 40's. At some point these folks will get older, and "age out." Perhaps by moving on to other things, losing interest in G1, or other forces. Regardless, at some point the target audience for G1 will diminish, and the original G1 toys would therefore likely have fewer buyers, and then see a drop in value. I can't say for sure that this will happen, but it does make some sense.

Regardless, I'll always have a strong love for G1. But who knows what the hobby will look like as G1 fans hit their 50's, 60's and beyond? The one parallel I can think of is the older GI Joe fans that grew up on the 12 inch figures, and still attend conventions today. They are an older crowd, and still have love for the brand, but the brand seems more heavily dominated by a younger crowd that grew up with ARAH in the 80's. If we fast forward another 20-30 years, that may happen to Transformers as well: where we still have some G1 "old timers" hanging around, but the brand is dominated by younger folks who grew up on other iterations of Transformers such as the live action movies.

17. Weezie

Weezie Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am in my twenties and didn't grow up in the '80s with the original toys, but very much prefer G1 over most other continuities. Am I a minority?

18. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least you have a pal. I totally agree with you.

G1 will never die, because its spirit will live on in every line Transformers will ever produce.

All hail G1.

19. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

The GI JOE parallel is unique, and somewhat different but similar.

The old Barbie doll style of figures (sorry guys, that's just what I always thought of them) were never my thing, I was all about ARAH line. While they've had some love, perhaps it was their North America (mostly) appeal that limited the growth for the brand? Were it not for the Japanese angle, would we even have what we have today?

GI Joe had a movie, TFs had a movie. Both went drastically different ways.

I remember ARAH being HUGE...bigger than TFs, in my area at least. And today, I don't follow it at all. Their reissues seem kinda cool but my heart is with the TFs (and was so back then too).

How viable is the ARAH Joe fans today? Do they have the equivalent of our Masterpiece line? If not, then I'd say you're witnessing what will most likely become of the G1 fans and toys. While older toys will always be in some kind of demand, some simply for their age, they need some kind of link to the present to keep the brand going. And G1 has a lot of that in comparison to other toy lines.

But the difference between G1 'toys' and G1 'characters' is what I think I'm getting at. The toys will have their major supporters (and drivers of demand) as long as they're here...but after that? Who can say. Without the demand, there is no resale, no matter how much we value some items today. At some point, people just don't wanna pay for something that has very few buyers. I mean, that's what sets prices, doesn't it?

But as long as there is some for of G1 continuation, then that should go a long, long way. Even with MPs right now, you've got people buying them that have ZERO direct connection to the 80s experience. That can happen at any time, as long as there's toys. And as weird as it seems, at some stage the tide will turn and the newer stuff will have it's day in the sun....albeit to a smaller degree, as there were fewer fans. The next 'baby boom' of TF fans surely must be the Bayverse movie fans, as they have the numbers and the pop culture. Beast Wars, to some degree, will have that. I'm sure the MP line will go heavy into the BW zone after the G1 fervor has subsided.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure G1 is pretty safe. Even if they don't want to buy the 'bricks' from yesteryear, who the hell can turn down MP Starscream?!?!?...not many :) 

20. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Running the g1 bst on Facebook, there are people from 15-50 requesting to get in every week, I don't see a majority in any age group there, since it's strictly g1 figures, it gives a decent outlook on who is buying them I think.