What happened offscreen on Cybertron in the G1 cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Distant1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Do I think they tried an earlier attack, no

But I’m sure they at least we’re looking into the possibility and did some recon
    You seem to be confusing me a bit here

There was no indication that ironhide knew anything About the combiner teams

And the marvel adaptation contained no such information that came from later publications

And as much as I like the character, Ironhide Always talked a bigger game that he could play, So if he sounded overconfident I really wouldn’t take that as an indication of knowing they had some kind a tactical advantage

2. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

That is cool, just thinking that the narration could have been a bit rushed at the start of FFOD and that perhaps the Decepticons attacked Cybertron and failed and the Autobots were able to track the Decepticons back to locations in outer space that could have been relatively rich in resources. Then the Autobots could have forced the Decepticons off relatively rich locations and the Deceptions retreated to the desolate Char. Just a theory.

Agree that Ironhide was or could have been over-confident.

Really just trying to work backwards, to get a clearer picture of what the Decepticon empire look like, so then we can imagine where the deployment of transformers who were not in the movie could have been.

I do like your explanation of the Autobot combiner could have offline in an attempt to join up with Metroplex, but I do not think Ironhide would have said to Optimus when are we going to attack the Decepticons on Cybertron if Ironhide knew the Protectobots and Aerialbots were offline.

Having said that I would like to retcon bits of the movie (Starscream's coronation with Acid and Nova Storm in for Skywarp and Thundercracker for starters) and Optimus could have said that they will attempt a landing on Cybertron when the Aerialbots and Protectobots are back on line.

3. Primeultra

Not a bad Idea
    What are you kidding me? That’s exactly the type of thing he would do

Don’t you remember in the pilot he decided to takeoff flying after a bunch of jets knowing damn well he could never catch up to them?

And when the stunticons Came around he was begging to be “souped up” so he could try and keep up with them?

He was so overconfident And so impatient that He would be willing to take any risk to at least be doing something other than watching camera footage
    I can get behind some of that

4. Distant1

That being the case, with Galvatron away and Starscream dead, who would you have to lead the Decepticon attack on Cybertron?

How could I forget, arguably Skywarp's best moment in the whole series.

Would have of been interesting to see what he would have said if Ironhide lived to see Unicron on the attack.

5. Primeultra

I’m really not seeing an attack, more just a few recon missions

And the obvious answer is obviously cyclonus
    Which is a shame
    Might’ve been funny

6. Distant1

I wish the Decepticon retreat from Cybertron was shown in the movie, so a lot of this is just guess work. But I would say the Decepticons retreat to a location that is closest to Cybertron. They refuel and I would guess they would attack the Autbots on Cybertron before the Autobots get established (if I was Rumble that is what I would be telling my fellow Decepticons).

I disagree initially. The Decepticons themselves are probably bickering among themselves is Skywarp now Cyclonus and is Thundercracker now Scourge. As such, I do not think that Cyconus would lead initially.

My main candidates initially would be Blitzwing, Astrotrain, Onslaught and Soundwave.

Note how in Five Faces of Darkness looks very beaten up. I speculate that he could have been leader for a while but his plans failed and the Decepticons could have taken some of their frustrations out on him.

However, by the beginning of Five Faces of Darkness, Cyclonus sees that none of them are fit to lead and their best hope is to find Galvatron.

100% Agree

7. Primeultra

I just don’t see it, I feel they just would’ve been in too much shock over the events

I corrected that for you

And I have no idea why you think the other Decepticons would know but these guys had any previous lives what so ever

Unless Cyclonus or Scourge decides to talk about it, there is no reason to assume the other cons would know anything about the reformatting

I also see 5FoD only taking place within days maybe a week after the film

A d if not Cyclonus then I’ll image they would be leaderless, Sub-teams sticking together.....Those with bonds of friendship maybe also sticking together but in the long run it would be an every man for themselves scenario

8. Distant1

There are so many variables. One thought is that the Constructicons would have bailed early and so would some others. I think they would have gone back to see some of the wreckage and been surprised to see that Cybertron was largely intact.

Thanks, but the Decepticons would not have seen the storyboards and script. No big deal, I do not think that Skywarp became Cyclonus.

Megatron is that you?

Here is a hint?

I think you know that Megatron got reformatted, thus so did the others (but who is who). I think @pilot00 said that after Starscream's Coronation, most of the Decepticons probably boarded Galvatron's ship to fly to earth, but only Galvatron, Cyclonus and the Sweeps left the mothership to attack Autobot City.

That being the case, I think Galvatron being a leader would have told the other Decepticons what happened.

I do not because I cannot see how the Autobots could have Cybertron operating so well and organize the Galatic Olympic Games in such a short time period.

Also, for the Decepticons to have the entire upper management on Cybertron in 2005 they must have been getting fuel from locations other than Earth. That being the case they would have retreated to those planets before being forced to retreat to Char.

I could see potential Decepticon attacks being isolated amongst sub-teams and not well cordinated. But as Triple Takeover is one of my favorite episodes and I would really like to see a temporary leader.

9. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Seems the only logical explanation, since there were Constructicons on the planet of Junk.

Also Astrotrain knew that they Megatron and Galvatron "were the same guy".

Personally I think the correlation wouldnt need to be even told. I mean if you remove the spikes and recolour the helmet white you have an exact Replica of Megatron headwise....

I consider it virtually impossible. Their fleets were destroyed in the Unicron attack and Onslaught IMHO was referring to the current Decepticon Strength.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  10. Distant1

I think for Megatron it is easy to see that he became Galvatron.

On such a voyage to Autobot City, I think it would be necessary for Galvatron to give some sort of speech to re-introduce his new self and his new troops and his objectives.

I also think that the Autobot defense systems would also be in tatters.

Thinking about what happened elsewhere at the end of the movie.

To try and explain the absence of Protectobots, Combaticons, Aerialbots, Stunticons, Omega and say Sky Lynx, is that I assume they were battling on other planets, with indigineous populations.

Bit dramatic, but when Hot Rod unleashes the power of the matrix, it has a sort of magical cosmic power that gives the giant Autobots the strength to defeat the likes of the Combaticons and Stunticons. The Combaticons and Stunticons may retreat to Cybertron but are met by Autobot fire and end up retreating to Chaar.

If I had to give a backstory to Chaar and how Decepticons seemed to all converge there, I would say that Chaar was a planet the Decepticons used to get fuel from in the past, but they completely drained virtually all the energy from Chaar. But perhaps it has some strategic value as it might not be that far from Cybertron.

Just thinking about the initial scene in FFOD with Astrotrain. Maybe Astrotrain ventured to another former Decepticon outpost that had only a very small amount of energy left, and after the flight to Chaar he only had a handful of Energon cubes leftover.

11. Primeultra

I just don’t see it, without a leader most of the Con just don’t seem the type to act very quickly after such a loss
    I was joking but that’s kind of my point, I don’t think they would’ve been considering the issue at all Of who became who so soon after the events of the end of the film
    We were talking about Cyclonus and Scourge/Sweeps.....not Megatron

and let’s not forget get this line “,-What he say his name is?

I’m sure some like Starscream and asoundwae and Lazorbeek could recognize Megatron Immediately but I see no reason to consider that every single Deceptacon did

likewise, I don’t see A reason that they would automatically consider the other guys were also Reformated reformatted it from older soldiers, Mainly because unlike Galvatron, the other reformated characters never behaved like their former selves

cheese never behaved like their former selves

older soldiers
    Megatron was never much on explaining everything, wasn’t much of a motivational speaker either he just expected people to follow his orders

I see no reason why he would’ve explained anything to anybody at that time
    Then maybe a few weeks to a month but I still don’t see it being very long
    I don’t believe they were the ones that completely organized the Olympics, it was probably something that was already in the works and being held the office sometime

As to the repair jobs on cybertron, I kind a give some of that credit to Megatron himself for creating such a strong infrastructure between the 80s and 2005
    I don’t agree that’s the only possibility

From my perspective, what I believe happened Was with all the infighting that all the forces were completely demoralized and completely disorganized after the events of the film, I believe they let those planets slip right out of their hands without even a fight

But that’s after the events of the movie.....I would expect word to spread afterwards

And I’m sure there were some that figured it out right away, I just don’t think all the Decepticons did considering the flow of events
    This
    Sorry I think the only speech he gave was the one he gave right after destroying Starscream

“Will anybody else attempt to fill his shoes

12. Distant1

Thinking about the Decepticon retreat from Cybertron some more. I would say that surviving Decepticons left just after Unicron swallowed Galvatron. The coneheads probably escaped from Unicron around the same time as Jazz, Cliffjumper, Bumblebee, and by that time the Coneheads could see there were no visible Decepticons on Cybertron so they fled.

To me, I think that assuming there were still Decepticons controlled places at the time Hot Rod became Rodimus Prime, the Decepticons could have been monitoring events on Cybertron through security cameras. If not Soundwave could have potentially sent Laserbeak and Ratbat to spy on Autobots on Cybertron.

Backtracking a bit, based on the assumption that Cyclonus, Scourge and Sweeps are completely new entities, when Cyclonus says the line about the Decepticons ruling the quadrant by fear (not sure that is the exact quote), do you believe that is based on first-hand knowledge (i.e. Cyclonus actually visited foreign planets to see the fears of the local inhabitants), or when Cyclonus was created he had some sort of in-built knowledge (bit like Wikipedia) where he could know about places, past events, and other transformers?

In a sense, if Cyclonus has no memory of the past, and Galvatron says that they are going to kill Starscream, would Cyclonus' inner response be 'yes but who is Starscream'.

Hope that makes sense.

I am thinking that maybe after Starscream's Coronation, Galvatron left the other Decepticons on Cybertron and only called the other Decepticons to join the attack on Junkion. Thereby, no such speech by Galvatron would have been made or could have been made.

I think it would be a good story if the Autobots liberated places competing in the galactic Olympics and the galactic Olympics was an event to mark new freedom in a number of places in the galaxy.

To give a World War II Analogy, say operation Sea Lion is successful and the Germans successfully invade Britain (say the British are the Decepticons, the British then take their monarchy/government offshore, it would mean heavy losses if they had to form a new government in New Zealand (really nice place but not exactly resource-rich) compared to say the British taking much of their population to places like Canada, India, or Australia for example.

In the same way, I just like to think there were a series of events that led to the Decepticons living on Chaar rather some other location which had far greater fuel sources.

13. Primeultra

i feel the guys we saw eaten Were pretty much completely destroyed , So the way I see it the guy we saw getting eaten were not the real coneheads but generics it just looked like them
    Definitely a possibility
    Such information is basically part of their history and that would be covered in any form of data tracks covering their history

Seems to me the type of thing that would’ve been stored in their bodies hard drives and would’ve been accessible by the new personalities

In a sense, Cyclonus would have no personal memories of the past, but would have the basic knowledge of such places and events as any computer that has the files do

Think of how Blackarachnia knew who Starscream was
    I guess it’s possible he called in reinforcements to go to the planet of junk

But I don’t think he would’ve ever made such a speech
    Sounds good but I don’t think it sounds feasible

It seems that any planets that would’ve lived under the occupation of deception rule would probably taking much longer to rebuild and get themselves into a position where they can compete in any form of galactic Olympics or any large events

If you’re a fan of Star Trek Deep Space 9 you might understand what I mean
    I get where you’re going but I just don’t think it’s the case

Maybe it’s the nature of an 80s kids cartoon but the Decepticons usually seemed rather inept......Even more so with out strong leader ship

And I feel without Galvatron around they would’ve just fell apart.....And quickly

14. Distant1

If the movie were re-touched up, I would be happy if the jets that were eaten were generic seekers (be cool IMO, if they were the storm seekers from Divide and Conquer).

One thing that I liked about season 3, is that Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge, Sweeps and maybe the Predacons, and then the rest of the Decepticons do not seem to be at all close (for example you do not see Thrust talking freely with Scourge for example). To me, that is in part because of what happened on Astrotrain's return to Cybertron from Autobot City (I know the Combaticons and Stunticons were not aboard Astrotrain), I assume that Scourge and Cyclonus would have at least found out about what happened on that fateful journey and that I would have ongoing friction.

I never got into Star Trek but I will look to check out that series. Always looking for a show set in space that I could be used as a template for a Transformers G1 episodes set in space.

I get what you are saying but in the spirit of the original show, I think that a Galatic Olympic Games could be set in a relatively short space of time. Remember how quickly the car race in Autobot Run was organized.

I get what you saying but say the Decepticons had an 'India/Australia/Canada' to fall back on I do not think they would have lost it, without the involvement of the Autobots removing them from such locations.

I know it is not original but I could imagine an episode called 'Devcon's last stand' where Devcon is heroic in liberating a Decepticon controlled planet, but unfortunately loses his life in the process.

Just some possibilities are that Decepticon controlled planets are really far from Cybertron (further away from Chaar) the Decepticons use Space Bridge to get between Cybertron and such faraway planets, but in the escape from Cybertron in the movie, the Decepticons only get as far as Chaar. Likewise, Decepticon in faraway planets are defeated by Autobots and they try and retreat to Cybertron but only get as far as Chaar.

Another is that perhaps Chaar is a planet in a strategically good position, say for example Soundwave becomes the temporary leader, the combiners mine further away planets, Long story short, a Decepticon power struggle takes place on Chaar (in essence the combiners desert the resource-rich planets).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Primeultra

That would be OK but I would rather that they be generic coneheads

I don’t think there would be any friction over what occurred on the way back home

If anything scourge and cyclonus might actually be grateful for what happened because it gave them life
    How quickly that race was organize is not really a good comparison since none of the nations of earth That competed in that race were under a military occupation from an alien robot race for a number of years
    We’re going to have to disagree on that one

I’m not saying your suggestion is not a possibility, but it just seem like the entire army what is relatively useless without Megatron or Galvatron or someone else pulling the strings
    Sounds interesting I wouldn’t mind seeing him again

• Like Like x 1
  16. Distant1

Disagree, I think the storm seekers are the most iconic of the unnamed (in the mid-80s) as such, I think it would be cool if they got some lines in a series 2.5 and have a brief cameo in a touched-up version in the movie.

Cyclonus and Scourge were definately higher ranked than their predecessors but I still think they must have found out about what happened on Astrotrain, and they knew they could not really trust their fellow Decepticons (even more than I think Decepticons probably distrust other Deceptiocons).

Maybe not, but I do not think a Galatic Olympic Games would take place between 1985 to 2005.

Fair enough, but in the God Gambit do you not think the Decepticons would not have controlled Titan if Jazz, Perceptor and Omega Supreme did not show up (I know you could argue that Megatron was in the background, but even so, I think Astrotrain could have managed)?

17. Primeultra

I would still like to see some conehead generics get a little spotlight
    I don’t see a reason that they would’ve found out .....and even if it did if it would’ve made any difference to them at all

It’s hard to say since the cartoon was rather inconsistent with how competent astrotrain was

18. Distant1

They could given some generic coneheads proper identities in a series 2.5. I would have them mining other planets to help fuel Cybertron.

Hearing stories of adopted people (I have an adopted cousin), I just think that is a normal thing for people (in this case transformers) would want to know their past. In the case of Cyclonus and Scourge, (with Galvatron not being around immediately after events in the movie), that they would want to know more about who their fellow Decepticons are and how themselves (Cyclonus and Scourge) came to be, as much for their own survival. Especially, when they are on Chaar with seemingly plenty of time to think (at least they are not being attacked by Autobots)

To me, Astrotrain was competent enough to not lose a planet without Autobot interference, even if he could not lead rats up a sewer pipe (the line from Triple Takeover). Thinking back to Transport to Oblivion and the creation of the space-bridge, I believe that was to assist in bringing fuel to Cybertron from far afield. Based on that belief, I think it is highly plausibly that Decepticons could have lived comfortably enough on foreign planets without Autobot interference. However, if they got chased off an energy-rich planet by the likes of the Orbs Orb - Transformers Wiki that would also be interesting.

19. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Well...I do believe that although practically dead the knowledge of the Insecticons/Skywarp/Thundercracker would transfer over to the new bodies. Also its not that the Decepticons off screen have no life at all. I could easily see Cyclonus on 'off-duty hours' talking around with someone and eventually Starscream been brought up, with the follow up question: "How did that guy even manage to go top-dog?" or somesuch....

20. Primeultra

I could fully agree with that, but I would say it would be the “knowledge” only and not the life experience

More like very detailed history books, maybe even with personal journals of the events but with no emotional ties to the knowledge in question
    I can see that to