What happened offscreen on Cybertron in the G1 cartoon?

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Distant1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Primeultra

Primeultra Well-Known Member

Only if he knew where Megatron was

• Like Like x 1
  2. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

Apart from the odd bit of information, the cartoon never did a great job of making the missing 4M years particularly interesting. In the comics, you had the Wreckers, Straxus who took over from Trannis.

As such, I think there is room for some interesting fiction in the 4M year gap and ideally, I would like to see this fiction used for background information to make a series 2.5 in the G1 cartoon.

Especially with Shockwave leadership, I wonder how seriously other Decepticons like the Storm Seekers, took it and did Shockwave face any potential leadership takeovers.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy As cool as the earth is blue!

I've always imagined Shockwave being in command fighting off the season 2, 3, and 4 bots.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I figured not much happened. The Decepticons were more or less in control. The few Autobots that remained were just doing guerilla raids against the Decepticons (see fembots). Maybe Magnus was leading another group made up of Hot Rod, Springer, Blur and Kup. Even then, there weren't that many Decepticons around either. See all the episodes were huge portions of Cybertron is just void of anyone.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is what a Netflix mini-series should be.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Distant1

I always hated how there was no proper introduction to the S3 cast (to me, the toy makers rather than the writers were in control). As such, I would love to see Shockwave, Storm Seekers, etc. fighting mainly S3 characters and Punch/CounerPunch would be supply the Autobots with information. For most of the other S2 Autobots (other than Omega, Cosmos and Skids), I think they crashed on earth, in the ocean on a malfunctioning escape pod and that is why it took so long for them to appear in the series.

I think the search for energy was more important than victory in war, but there were enough skirmishes to keep energy levels down.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Decepticon Miner

Decepticon Miner Banned

News Credits:
    Fucking destruction.

8. Distant1

9. Distant1

10. setsuna

setsuna Well-Known Member

I always thought the s2 n s3 Autobots were on cybertron until they came to earth via spacebridge with Ultra Magnus and alpha trion as leader.

11. Distant1

If you watch Desertion of the Dinobots a lot of the S2 characters are affected by Cybertonium depletion. Therefore, it is logical to conclude that they must have come to earth 4M years ago. I like the idea that most of the S2 Autobots were here an escape pod that must have crashed.

With the S3 Autobots, there is no official fiction that I am aware that explain how or when they got to earth. I like the stories of the Wreckers and Ultra Magnus did not seem to be up to leading the Autobots in the 1986 movie so I do not think he would have led the Autobot resistance on Cybertron for 4M years. I think of Alpha Trion more as a mentor or father figure rather leader (think Splinter from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles). From the files of Teletran 2, Springer and Kup seem to be on another planet or two, so I in my head Impactor led the Cybertron resistance on Cybertron for a while (some other leader (or leaders) probably got killed in the 4M year gap and leadership was passed onto Impactor.

I hope you do not mind me revisiting this. It does not really matter to me either way as my fanfiction starts after Cosmos gets to Earth. But how do you explain Cosmos's alien alt-mode if it did not arrive on Earth post 1984 (it is an alien spacecraft unlike Astrotrain, it would be bizarre if there was an alien spacecraft just flew by the Ark when Cosmos was being revived)?

12. Primeultra

I don’t mind at all

To answer your question, is it an alien alt mode?

I put that in “bold” because I really want you to think about that question

Sure it’s a flying saucer but that doesn’t mean it’s actually alien

13. Distant1

As far as I know, there are no known flying saucers on earth, so I would say yes (a flying saucer is an alien vessel). Happy to hear your counter-argument.

14. Primeultra

Are you kidding me.....Like I said you need to think big picture

man made flying saucer - Penelusuran Google

Just about every flying saucer you’ve ever seen in the movie was made here on earth

As far as we know and can prove we have never captured any alien vessel, so we have no idea what type of ships they are actually flying

So, Cosmos took the form of what humans of the 80s “think” an alien ship might look like

15. Distant1

Good explanation. I assume that Teletraan 1 would repair the season 2 Autobots like it did in the pilot. As such, I think finding a man-made flying saucer would be highly unlikely. If Powerglide alt-mode was a regular plane from the local aerodrome then I think Cosmos would have a similar alt-mode (not saying you are wrong and this is Transformers G1 so a lot of bizzare things happened).

I just think that is not impossible that Cosmos was maybe on another mission or something and that is why he was not in the Desertion of the Dinobots episode - maybe flying to close to the sun in the previous episode may explain why he was missing).

On Skids, do you have a creative explanation (anything is better than he was just off-camera) as to why he showed up significantly later than most of the other season 2 characters?

16. Primeultra

You’re missing the big picture again, aren’t you a rider LOL

Just teasing buddy

I’m sure the ship computers would’ve been use to reconfigure any of the season two guys, but I’m fairly sure considering that the ship had not been repaired they would’ve been able to pick and choose alt modes that suited their functions/jobs

Cosmoses job was Space reconnaissance, he would have needed an alt mode in which he could fly into space and return when needed, be able to stay “hidden” in space/earth orbit with out drawing the suspicion of the enemy , and at the same time something that most humans would have been dismissive of....in the 80s

Flying saucer sounds like the perfect thing to choose as an alt mode

Can’t compair him to Powerglides situation
    Not sure I understand what you’re saying

But like I said the episode “desertion “pretty much states that he had to be on earth for millions of years
    Technically he was a 84 toy release, first year toy,......unlike some of the other season 2 guys...he wasn’t in “Desertion “, so I can see him being a new arrival

17. Distant1

Bit of banter all good.

I am thinking that if Cosmos was aboard the Ark 4M years ago his original alt-mode given his function was some sort of space vehicle. In that case, maybe he was just repaired and given no change of alt-mode. As his function is to be in space for a lot of the time his disguise is less important as it is to others, IMO. If Teletran 1 wanted to give him a disguise then I think that a space shuttle like Astrotrain would be more appropriate. But as Astrotrain already had a shuttle mode then for Hasbro a flying saucer is appropriate for Cosmos.

Cosmos only appeared in Megatron Master Plan before the Desertion of the Dinobots. Maybe he got badly damaged in that episode and was still getting repaid in Desertion of the Dinobots.

As far as I know Cosmos was never given a backstory. My preferred backstory for Cosmos was that he was functionally for the last 4M years.

I would love to see the Ark crashing on earth scene embellished. In that, I would have Skids in desperation trying to get to the Decepticons ship. He either gets all the way across and gets shot out of the Decepticon ship or gets parts of the way across the 'bridge' when the ships go their separate ways (the other season 2 Autobots board a malfunctioning escape pod) and to me, that explains why he was not seen till later in series 2.

18. Primeultra

smiles

I find that as very doubtful

The flying saucer looks nothing like any cybertronion vehicular mode ever

I’m not sure I can agree
    That might help it hide from human civilians, but the decepticons would obviously be interested in any earth vehicular leaving and returning to earth often
    Nope that doesn’t fit with what was said and seen

He was suffering from lack of Cybertonium.....like the others

And that was due to being exposed to earths atmosphere for millions of years

Might make sense to add him to your list of S2 characters that escaped in a pod, maybe he himself was the escape pod and crashed

19. Distant1

To me ever since Cosmos was a Transformer his alt-mode was always a space vehicle, given his function.

With that in mind, it is hard to create an alien space vehicle transformer toy. A simplistic option is to use a flying saucer as a template to build a transformer toy who was suited to travelling through space.

Going by the God Gambit episode I do not think an Alt-Mode would help Cosmos evade detection from the Dinobots.

Without Cosmos being on screen or mentioned in that episode I do not know how you can say 100% that Cosmos was affected by Cybertonium depletion.

I can accept that there was a good chance that he was on an escape pod.

20. Primeultra

IM certain it was s space vehicle
    Just wasn’t a Flying saucer imo
    true enough

But we’re talking fiction not toys
    What?

Because he was on screen in “desertion of the dinobots”, seen suffering from cybertonium depletion and discussing trying to get some to save everyone
    it fits