what got you started

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bumblejacker, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Bumblejacker

Bumblejacker Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has already been discussed before, but how or what got you interested into Transformers?
    For me, when I was probably 8, my cousin visited me and my family and my grandmother went to a garage sale and bought him some Transformers Armada toys. He didn't really like sharing some my mom took me and my brother to the store to buy one and the one we got was Transformers Cybertron Jetfire.

2. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Hmmm...well I can't quite remember which I was exposed to first, but Mazinger Z (or Tranzor Z in the US) is my earliest memory of my robot obsession.

There used to be a video store minutes from my house, called Video Alley- and they had a bunch of imported super robot movies available.
    First it was Mazinger Z,
    Then Voltron, Danguard Ace, Voltes V, Daimos, & Diapolon- & eventually I started watching the Transformer tapes they had- which led to me watching the TV show regularly, then eventually Transformers: The Movie- and every other series that followed.

And the more I watched robot-based stuff, the more interested and a fan I became- so I started collecting Transformers- my very first one being G1 Optimus Prime.
    Around the same time, Power Rangers also became a hit- so I also collected Megazords too.
    And every Christmas it was either Transformers or Power Rangers- which made it really easy for my parents because they just had to run to Walmart and snatch'em up- and I've carried on my collecting ever since. ^_^

3. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I was like 4 or 5. I knew what transformers were but my family couldn't really afford them. Thankfully one of my mom's coworkers had a son that was getting out of collecting so he gave me his entire collection. Lots of G1 goodies. I've been hooked ever since. So... like 30 years now. I'm becoming one of the old guy fans.

4. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My best friend gave me G1 Ironhide for my 8th birthday in August 1984. I didn't even know what Transformers were at the time...lol...since the G1 cartoon didn't start until later that year. They became somewhat of a phenomenon after that. But, I didn't really become much of a collector until after college in the late 90s/early 2000s.

5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    One of the Dinobot centric episodes of season one or the start of season two.
    I was obsessed with dinosaurs back then and robotic dinosaurs where just awesome to me.
    Then I never saw that cartoon for a whole while.
    But later I saw the toys in the shop and I asked for Grimlock for my birthday but got Barrage (which is the better toy in hindside and I enjoyed him, but years later I was happy to get the Grimlock ko).
    Then I read the MB pack in comic and got lost in the catalogue and I was sold.
    Being able to watch season three and four a little later and reruns of the first two seasons later on sealed the deal.

6. Zook

Zook Evil Incarnate

Stumbled across Beast Wars on TV. I've never really been interested in any other show since, but my toy collection has gotten a little out of control.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hthrun

hthrun Show accuracy's overrated

Ebay:
    It was similar for me. I got some G1 toys after seeing them in the store and seeing other kids play with them. I didn't collect for a while and then saw Beast Wars toys in the store. I was impressed with the articulation but didn't buy many.
    Then one day I saw "Beast Wars" in the newspaper TV listings. I didn't think it was actually the TF series but thought I'd check for sure. When I turned it on I was stunned to not only see it was TF, but it was also CGI! I loved it! I started searching online for TF message boards and have continued since. The movie gave my collecting another jolt.

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Saw the first episode of Beast Wars one morning before school. Was hooked from that moment. The idea of what seemed like ordinary animals that are actually robotic beings was so cool to me.

9. Defensis Prime

Defensis Prime Psychotic Completist®

Sort of a combination of things that conspired to send me screaming down this path. Getting some of the Marvel comics from those 25- or 50-count grab boxes from the old Sears and JCPenney Wish Books; seeing the MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE miniseries on TV and being a little sad that it seemed like that might be all there'd be (and happily learning later that it WOULDN'T); getting a red Bumblebee for (whatever occasion it was--that's a fog that won't lift)--

--and now, somehow, I'm married to the world's biggest-slash-most-insane Bumblebee fan, we've a collection in the thousands, and I changed my name.

</thinks about it all for a moment>
    WHAT THE F--:bay 

• Like Like x 1
  10. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

Saw the original movie in the theater in 1986 at the age of five.

11. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    Those awesome toy, I mean comic book, commercials.

12. SMB73

SMB73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Seeing the comic book at 7-11. Back then, 7-11 stores sold comics on a wire racks. I remember seeing issue #1 with that sweet, sweet .75-cent price tag. I walked home reading it and knew instantly I found something awesome.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I would get the old G1 comic on the spinner racks as well. Shame 7-11 doesn't do that anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  14. EmceeDel

EmceeDel Well-Known Member

About 4 or 5, watching TV at my aunt's house, and saw Transformers Armada. I remember the episode too. It was the one where they're on a beach, and the introduction of Tidal Wave.

15. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Been watching Transformers since Beast Wars and Machines. They kind of ran at the same time on YTV when BM was out, but I watched them both and liked them both. Kind of stuck being a fan on and off throughout the UT, and got REALLY into the brand after I watched the 07 movie.

16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    being born in 1986 the transformers had always been in my life i cant remember a time when i didn't like transformers or it wasn't in my life, its like i wasn't born i just woke up and energon was already in my blood

17. AMG

AMG Old School

Watching the original Transformers cartoon back in 1984. I instantly fell in love with it.

18. LightningBlade3

LightningBlade3 Destined to be a Prime

News Credits:
    Armada is what started it all for me. I was 5 and having just moved to a new place, I was familiarizing myself with where all the kids' TV channels were. The episode where Fred and Billy were chased by Cyclonus was my first episode.

19. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the pilot on tv as a child. Then a classmate introduced me to the comics.

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I was maybe 6, I probably saw Starscream on the shelves and bugged my parents into getting one. (Or I first saw More Than Meets the Eye Part 1.......I should maybe ask my father at some point.......my mother would have groaned or just say she didn’t remember......if she was still around).......

Actually, odds are it was the cartoon, as I was the target demographic for marketing department

• Like Like x 1