What 'flavour 'of Starscream do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Revoticus, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

He actually sounds 'handsome' in some of the clips I've seen. Different but I don't mind it.

2. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

First things first, Starscream should be COMPETENT, maybe even excelling at SOMETHING because otherwise, why the FUCK is he the second highest Decepticon rank there is. But he should also be treacherous and manipulative, because it's a key component of the character. I like my Starscreams to be terrifyingly efficient soldiers and killers (Unicron Trilogy making him explicitly a Swordsman was a good step in that direction) who also are smart enough to manipulate those around them. To use Game of Thrones comparisons - Littlefingers personality, attitude, strategies and motives, but in the body of someone like Jon Snow. Except, you know, robots.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Hot head prime

Hot head prime Is a Death Trooper

Much better than Bran Stark

• Like Like x 1
  4. agent j 15

agent j 15 poopity-scoop

fucking Hodor is better than Bran Stark haha

5. Zentropy

Zentropy Needs more greeble

I've never heard his Japanese voice. Guess I'll have to check it out.

6. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 Transformers Anime Campaigner

Google+:
    YouTube:

• Like Like x 2
  7. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me!

I like Starscream as highly intelligent, dangerous, a smooth talker with the skills to back up his boasts, and that sneaky attitude, along with hints of a noble warrior deep down that show through from time to time. I also want to see him literally deceive the enemy by making his enemies underestimate him as well by pretending to be a coward when he is really not.

This is my ideal Starscream. :3

• Like Like x 2
  8. Zentropy

Much better voice for Starscream. That second clip was actually pretty entertaining.

• Like Like x 1
  9. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, I disagree. I feel the high-pitched, raspy voice fits perfectly with the character, especially since his name is supposed to be Starscream. I feel the G1 performance pretty perfectly.

Now if his name was Starwhisper, I would be down with a less screechy and smoother voice.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Zentropy

I can see that, but I always associated the name "Starscream" with the sound of his jet altmode, considering he was supposed to be so fast. I never related it to his voice.

I just feel that the whiny, grating voice is at odds with a character that has so much drive and confidence. It's the voice of a backstabbing opportunist, not an ambitious leader. I agree with you that it fits the depiction of Starscream in the original cartoon, but that version of him never lived up to what I expected.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum Nautica Lover

Personally, that is how I normally like Starscream to be (although so far, every version has been the best part of every show he's in, for me at least), a complete weasel, though one whose overconfidence and constant bragging and overestimation of his own skills really could hide someone who is so much different within (in my personal headcanon, I see Starscream as a truly damaged guy who really has to make up for all the mockery he has gotten over the years with his bragging and childish tantrums). The way I always saw Starscream is basically the Transformer version of Jack Benny's onscreen persona: an egotistical, greedy and very self-centered character who barks better than he bites.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

I love the VA they picked for Japanese Animated Megatron, he's so hammy and fun to listen too.
    "Staaaaaaaarsucreaaaaam" -Jap Animated Megatron.

13. JustAnotherCassette

JustAnotherCassette Lurker no more

Starscream should never be portrayed as an idiot or incompetent. He can be a great comic character and he does make me laugh all the time but the humor comes from watching his arrogance, vanity and overconfidence undermine his plans (and yes the voice also helps to make him funny), not from idiocy. The problem with making Starscream stupid and incompetent is that it makes Megatron look stupid and incompetent for making him his second-in-command, and that makes the entire Decepticon faction looks stupid for following a stupid leader, and then the Autobots start to look stupid for not being able to a win a war against the stupid Decepticons for millions of years.

So yeah, Starscream should be competent, and scarily so.

• Like Like x 3
  14. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    Self-interested, but savvy enough to be a team player because that's in his best interests. He still wants to lead, but he's willing to play the long game and earn leadership rather than try to steal it at the slightest chance. Basically how I'm writing him in Crossroads.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HotRodDidNothingWrong

HotRodDidNothingWrong Just a Hot Rod fanboy with dumb opinions

Starscream is probably one of the most flexible transformers character there is. Because of that, I don't think there has ever been a "bad" incarnation of the character. Sure some might say that the Bayverse version is a bad representation, but that's mostly because he lacked the screen time to actually do anything. But personality wise, I'd still say he's a decent version of the character.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Forever

Forever Well-Known Member

ALL FLAVOURS PLEASE:rolleyes: :) ;) 

• Like Like x 1