What figures would you replace if there was a better optio

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maximus Danz, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Evil Warrior of Talking

News Credits:
    This was an idea that came to my head while looking at my collection. what figures would you replace if there was a better option, and why?

After I thought about it, and here is what I came up with

POTP Battetrap: Looks dreadfully kibbly next to his spectacular brother, Skytread.
    POTP Windcharger: Poor joint quality.
    POTP Dreadwind and Darkwing: (sensing a pattern) Power master versions with there own original molds that look closer to the original designs.
    TR Overlord: Better Base mode.

How about you guys?

• Like Like x 2
  2. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    If I'm speaking honestly: All of them.

However for some, my criteria for what would make a better figure is nigh impossible.

For instance: I love the Siege Seekers. The only way I can invision Hasbro making anything better than them would be to make new Seekers with the Siege robot mode and F15 alt-modes. Which is likely never gonna happen.

• Like Like x 4
  3. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem completely impossible to me. The Siege body forms a brick underneath.

The big way I could see to accomplish that would be a larger jet shell that accordions down in robot mode and in vehicle mode extends out and covers the chestplate.

Retool Siege as a Leader class and it probably works.

• Like Like x 1
  4. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really replace, I just get the newer version and still enjoy the old one...

So what I would like as a newer version would be such as Tidal Wave.. and any that are either cheap plastic, lacks articulation. But then, they also need to be well executed too.

As much as it got lots of love, a new Jetfire that doesn't have so much kibble and poor undercarriage design, and would have more options would be nice.

And while G1 Hooligan (and mold-mates) are still a masterpiece of design that I still absolutely love, I would love a new improved version, again, as long as they keep the transformation simple, the kibble to a minimum, and so on, and maybe a Deluxe size at the most as one thing I love about him is the smaller "pocket size". If it was done right, this could be the most perfect TFs ever done as, as far as the small class figure goes, he is still king.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I don't replace i get new versions and enjoy old versions

• Like Like x 2
  6. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime

been to the plate 3 times, and none have really nailed it.

Classics was a bit dinky, had some odd design choices and hampered articulation, TR had the super weird shaped, mounted too low on the back spoiler, gorilla arms, was a headmaster (I don’t mind but a lot of folks seemed to), PotP was a half baked idea at best... the Hot Rod portion isn’t too bad, but they totally lamed out on his wrist cannons and the combined Rodimus version is just a mess.

the deluxes both have beautiful alt modes, they also both have the engine block on the chest which always irks me.

I think he’s hard to get right though, even the second take at the Masterpiece had the super flat plywood board looking chest.

Dinobots as Voyagers & (real) Leaders would be welcome too.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I so agree.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Airachid - its just a horrible figure that needs a complete redo
    Alpha Trion - i want a G1 Alpha Trion that doesn't turn into an animal

• Like Like x 5
  9. Soma

Soma Well-Known Member

It's a hard question, what constitutes a better option? I don't have any figures that I'm particularly precious with and new options can push older versions off my main chug\idw shelves, often depending on other parts of my collection such as MP. For instance, I replaced my universe Ironhide and T30 Hoist with their newest versions for opposite reasons: New Ironhide because I already have matching mold MP's of he and Ratchet (but kept his generations version), New (more old style) Hoist because I don't have an MP for him and I don't need him to be mold-mates with Trailbreaker (I intend to keep the T30 for him)

10. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Offroad. Give him ankle tilts and wrist swivels. Also make his kibble not bump into itself but still keep those.

Chromedome. Make it look like the actual character and not ape off a design of another figure.

I would buy these in an instant.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Slipstream. CV is pretty n all, but she's got QC Issues and a gerwalk mode.

• Like Like x 3
  12. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Alpha Trion, hands down.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I found you a Battletrap upgrade:

48BC6760-AF1B-4EB4-B497-3FE6DAE02A33.jpeg

14. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    TR Battletrap. After thinking about it the double bot gimmick is really cool and fits great with my headcannon, but he is so kibbly.

Considering the Horrorcons are now ridiculously outsized by PW voyagers I'll rebuy Megatron (siege Megs looks like crap though), Blitzwing, Sandstorm, I'm thinking about getting ER Astrotrain for cheap somehow even though the TR version blows him out of the water, and maybe Octane, Galvatron and Cyclonus.

Still need an ER Inferno.

Mindwipe. I was never a fan of the TR version.
    Skullcruncher. He wasn't the best.

Honestly, Soundwave, Shockwave, and Apeface. Because all the greebles and that silver shit really ruin them.

• Like Like x 2
  15. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Menasor and Bruticus really need to be upgraded. I could see a Soundwave that's better than the Siege version, though I still really like him. I could see the Siege seeker mold being improved upon, but not in the near future as I really like it...the ER version kinda dropped the ball.

• Like Like x 3
  16. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    A lot have already been mentioned so I'll co-sign and possibly add some that haven't been mentioned...

Dinobots - I don't even transform the PotP ones into their Dinosaur modes since they're so small. Not to mention I hate that combiner gimmick and kept FOC Grimlock and just bought the "limbs". I wouldn't mind a new set of Dino's that consisted of 3 Leader class and 2 Voyagers. Slash can remain as a Legend.

Predacon's - I'd take a smaller Combiner Wars version if the quality of the individual figures are better.

Insecticons - I wouldn't be replacing the CHUG versions I already have (3 of each mind you). They'll remain as the swarm while 3 new Deluxe's with matching paint apps and aren't spread out to just 1 release a damn each year would be nice this time.

Straxus/Darkmount - I love the original Generations version but I feel that it's time for a Voyager class upgrade.

Bulkhead - I loathed that Prime and Animated cartoon but there's a few characters from them that are worthy of G1/CHUG status.

Slipstream, Arachnid, Blackarachnia, Oil Slick, Strika - Same as Bulkhead ^^^^

Rodimus Prime - He's one of the few Voyagers I'd give a pass to if placed as a Leader class figure due to accessories. But with far more quality that that PotP one I skipped.

Blaster - That FOC version can't even sit at the current WFC's table. A new Voyager should've been part of the Earthrise line instead of another Megatron.

Deathsuarus - That CW Skylynx repaint was a joke. He deserves a Commander class version.

Cyclonus - The CW version was a waste I still end up displaying my 2.0 version with TR's Galvatron. But a Voyager class upgrade with no silly gimmicks would be great.

Scourge - Same as Cyc ^^^

Elita 1 - That PotP Starscream retool sickens me at the point. She deserves her QUALITY Voyager class mold.

Mindwipe - Was probably my favorite regular sized Headmaster next to Apeface as a child. And that TR was utter trash IMO. Hell the Movie-verse version has more value than TR, which is saying a LOT!

Blitzwing - No $20 accessories needed!

Alpha Trion- A real one this time!

Bludgeon/Banzai Tron - Seriously should Movie-verse figures still own the best version's of these characters today....?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  17. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Figures like those make it clear that Hasbro knew that we'd buy them anyway (Due to finally getting updated Combiners) only to buy a better quality of them a few years later (I would've skipped CW Menasor if it wasn't for the 3P add on's).

They do this with Optimus basically every year!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I recommend Papa Toys Hot Rod and the oversized POTP Dinobots. I have them and they're great.

I recommend MFT Chromedome.

What would I replace?

POTP Battletrap. I wish his two components were larger and could fit Titanmasters inside their vehicle modes.

Siege Flywheels. Just repaint Titans Return Megatron and put the Skytread Titanmaster on it.

Siege Apeface. Fiddly, uses the ugly off white plastic and can't open the gorillas mouth.

Titans Return Megatron and Galvatron. Simply down to the unpainted faces made from that awful off white plastic.

Every Ravage toy. Device Label Ravage is the only Ravage toy that can open and close it's mouth but the lower jaw may as well be made from gold plastic. Give us a Ravage that can open and close it's mouth.

Titans Return Octane. Make him larger and able to sit a Titanmaster inside the cockpit and the truck cab.

Earthrise Starscream. His jet mode feels too small.

The G1 Triggercons.

The G1 Battlechargers.

The Predacons. They're always too large.

G2 Hooligan. Repaint the Leader Jetfire toy.

Astrotrain and Sky Lynx. Every version is too small.

Siege Hot Link, Skywarp and the Rainmakers. Repaint Hot Link and Skywarp with the Botcon colour schemes.
    Give Acid Storm his Masterpiece colour scheme and repaint Nova Storm and Ion Storm in the traditional Seeker aesthetic like Botcon Bitstream and Hot Link

Darkwing. Every version feels too small in jet mode.

Scourge

Siege Megatron.

The Siege Sideswipe and Prowl molds.

Earthrise Wheeljack.

19. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, I really disagree with most of this. That’s opinions for you though.

Me? Sandstorm would probably be my number 1 triple changer to improve. The T30 fig is a fun toy but doesn’t scream Sandstorm to me.

Edit: what’s wrong with TR Blitzwing? He’s a great figure IMHO.

20. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    It's rare that I ever replace figure, since most of the time I just accept a new headcanon name or something to justify keeping them. But to answer your question....

Disclaimer: Odds are I won't replace anyone listed, but they would claim the title of said character. Also keep in mind that my mentions are almost guaranteed to revolve around the Generations lines.

PotP Battletrap/Siege Flywheels: As much as I love it, I dislike how him and Flywheels have different gimmicks. I'd be cool if we got another of either to better fit with the pairing. At this point, I think a non-combining Battletrap is more possible, plus I can keep the current Battletrap components as separate beings.

Liokaiser: Come on, Hasbro. Give us Leozack! Update the other members to have ports on their chests for their buddies!

Slipstream: Love the one Takara gave us, but the mold is very fiddly and I honestly scare myself everytime I mess around with her. I personally hope that if she is done again, she is still obviously more feminine than the other seekers.... also not sure if I'd grab a voyager sized one but we'd see.

Offroad, Rook, Alpha Bravo, Deathsaurus, Wreck-gar and other combiner components that weren't combiners pre-Prime Wars and done already: As much as I love all of the combiners I have, having to take them apart to deal with one singular character kind of bugs me. I really like to leave them in combined mode, so having that along with an individual mode is good. The other ones like Defensor and Bruticus I'm not too bothered with having to take apart tho….is that weird?

Airachnid, Oil slick, Lockdown, Shatter and any other Universe-exclusive/non-g1 character into Generations/G1-ified format: (Think Siege Barricade)
    I personally don't like the movie-verse designs as toys most of the time, and some characters could really benefit from being in a better toyline *looks at Airachnid* so this is definitely something I want.... Just, use rubber hooks and hands on Lockdown again....I love the one I have besides his hands.....

Elita-1: I know she falls under the "Non-combiner components" list, but I need to call her out specifically. Let her scale with her team. I like the bulky frame, but that's more of a battle suit imo. I can't take pics of that form in a casual sense!

Lifeline, Flare-up, Flamewar and any other tfcc exclusive bot/repaint that hasn't been done yet.

….I may have spanned out further than the figures I have in-hand..... Sorry....