What Figure Has No One Gotten Right Yet?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Bumblemus Prime, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Megatronus27

Megatronus27 Well-Known Member

Lol.

Well played. ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

No, no, it's the kryptonite that sets them apart--Whirl has NO KNOWN WEAKNESSES

• Like Like x 3
  3. Decepticon13

Decepticon13 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I want a better Mirage.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    good one, i forgot about Mirage.

• Like Like x 1
  5. cybertronwarriors

cybertronwarriors @cybertronwarriors on Instagram

Instagram:
    Very subjective question. Even Omigonix's Spinout has some fans.

6. Quickwing

Quickwing Devasia Mentality

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I've yet to find ideal replacements for my Classics leaders. Rioter Despotron comes pretty damn close in terms of being a space-gun at roughly voyager/ultra-ish size, but I really don't care for his face or the matrix thing, and his counterpart Striker Manus falls short on certain robot mode elements and has an inescapably cybertronic alt-mode. GCreations Ultra Maxmas is borderline perfect as far as what I'd want out of an Optimus in both modes, but it's size and transformation are way too much for a Classics stand-in. MMC's Tyrantron nails the desired face sculpt I want from Megatron, but the body has some iffy elements and the alt-mode is so questionable I don't even know how to interpret it.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snaku

Snaku Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love a nice MP or even just leader class version of Prime Prime. I was a hardcore geewunner until prime came out. It's the only continuity I like as much as G1. Hell, it's the only continuity I like at all besides G1.

That said, I think the Prime toyline was excellent. Most of the figures, especially the first edition ones look great. They're the only line that I think looks good enough for my display besides masterpiece.

As for my pick: G1 Arcee. Hasbro's looks pretty nice but needs some serious kibble reduction and masterpiece style hands/articulation/etc.

8. Tonyshotz

Tonyshotz TFW2005 Supporter

Ha! Post of the day for sure!

As for your ideal Dinos, they sound like fun but I doubt I'd buy them, at least not as THE dinobots. Simply because what your describing is something that I would have no connection to. I might consider buying them if they were introduced in some form of media. I guess, I just need some reason for the figure to exist. If I'm really being honest though, all I want are perfect versions of G1 transformers and think thats where most (note: most, not all) of the toy buying fandom is at as well. I could be wrong of course, I have nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

Transformer collectors are a pretty small group and there isn't much precedent for success when the small companies that service our hobby go into non-cannon based stuff. Look at Glacial Lord for an example, cool looking set but I would never give it shelf space because it doesn't have any connection to Transformers. It looks like most collectors felt the same way since its had its price slashed and been on clearance everywhere for a while now. We are only just starting to get non G1 stuff like Beast Wars and G2, I'd wager that the companies will gauge the success of those lines before getting any further removed from G1.

Unfortunately it really just doesn't make sense for these companies to take that kind of risk. I know that doesn't help you, sorry but maybe use it as a reason to get good at doing customs? Bam! Always a bright side!

• Like Like x 1
  9. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I agree, some are close but no ones yet to hit the mark.

10. tabtiurf

tabtiurf Chimeracon

I'm assuming you mean "of the figures that have actually been done" because otherwise the list would be interminable.

I'd say galvatron (DX9's is awkward, FT flaked on the arm transformation), astrotrain (2 that are too small, one that's floppy and partsforms), sunstreaker (neither gets the proportions right) and hound (FT's is too wooden and lifeless, MT's is too bulky and stylized.)

Also, Elita-1. All we've gotten is half-assed Arcee retools. Come on, somebody, invent this girl an altmode and wow me!

11. dirtmodeler

dirtmodeler Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still waiting on a good 3P Blur. I don't care for any of the offerings thus far.. all have missed the mark..

12. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ...and making the 17 set of plain old Dinobots IS profitable?

13. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Anything from Transformers Animated. :( 

14. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    kickback and shrapnel (i accept grenadier as an mp bombshell);
    ultra magnus;
    ratchet/ironhide;
    soundwave/frumble/other tapes (mp soundwave is good but not great);

15. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

a good sunstreaker, good astrotrain, good seekers, good menasor/superion/bruticus.

edit: aside from having xtb quality and qc, despotron looks the fucking megs part.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Arcee in any scale other than Legends!

Exactly how I feel.

I feel like the perfect Blitzwing has yet to be made also.

I dream of a Grimlock with an interchangeable toy/cartoon neck piece. Possibly the belly piece too.

17. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'll jump on the Megatron bandwagon. I like a lot of the attempts so far and I wouldn't necessarily say they got it "wrong" but they just ultimately miss the mark. TT's looks like it may end up being the front runner at the very least--the only thing that really bugs me about their figure is how the chest and arms don't line up in gun mode

18. Markus76

Markus76 Well-Known Member

Optimus Prime. Every single one has grey thighs for some oddball reason. The toy was chrome and the cartoon was white, so these mouth breathers keep releasing him with grey thighs for god knows why.

19. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seekers, considering the number of iterations they've gone through. The classics line was admirable for its time, but I don't think it's stood the test of time. The current MP line is retooled from a 10+ year old design, which is not to say that it's a bad design, but it shows its age when compared with modern MP figures. Like Megatron, the challenge is fitting a powerful looking robot into a sleek alternate form.

• Like Like x 1
  20. tfwmongrel

tfwmongrel Plastic Crack Addict

Blurr. I would say Kup but XTB's renders look great and their final output never strays far from the source material.