What figure do you love, that everyone else seems to hate?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by gibdozer, Nov 20, 2019.

1. gibdozer

gibdozer Censored

Sometimes you just like a toy that many people seem to dislike. Whatever your reasons, what figure in your collection do you love that others love to hate?

Mine is Toyworlds Kupp.
    20191120_113317.jpg
    20191120_112849.jpg
    He's super posable, cleans up great, and "feels" like the G1 toy to me. Definitely not without issues, but he's one of my most played with figures. I didn't expect much out of him(for 32$), but he's become my most beloved hated figure.

• Like Like x 8
  2. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    FT Rouge... ;) 

• Like Like x 6
  3. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    • FT Rouge - Transformation is a huge freaking pain, the articulation is limited, and the face isn't quite right, but damn she looks great in my display
    • KFC Ditka - freaking LOVE this figure. I don't understand the hate at all
    • MP09 Rodimus - Ok, I don't love this guy but I like him well enough that I don't feel the need to replace him and I just wanted an MP Rodimus to stand behind Hot Rod and hold the matrix
    • MP28 Hot Rod - I think it's much better looking in both modes than Fanstoys' version (though FT does have better proportions, there are a few things about it that kill it for me, particularly his awful collar which is one of Hot Rod's most iconic details).
    • XTB Apollyon - I don't own it any more after replacing it with IT-01 but I still think it was a very nice figure and I miss his articulated hands.
    • MP11 - I prefer the detailing and the more accurate alt mode over the Maketoys version though the limited articulation is unfortunate
    • MMC Backdraft - recently acquired him on sale from BBTS and I love him. I think it looks so much better than the Takara version
    • Hot Soldiers Optimus - Waist articulation sucks and it's getting harder to justify the HS/MFT size in my Legends collection as more NA bots join but I love his overall shape and his clear windows
    There's also a few that I own that I don't necessarily think are better than the alternatives but they're characters I don't care as much about so I prefer the cheaper options.
    • Ace Tumbler - looks kinda' crappy if he's facing straight forward but the price I got him for along with a good alt mode and no giant backback was good enough that I don't feel the need to get a better version
    • Open Play Big Spring - Looks great in the back of my TFTM shelf but loses it if you look too closely. Couldn't beat the price though

• Like Like x 4
  4. Krooked

Krooked Well-Known Member

Iron Factory- IF-EX13 Blitzwing
    i love the colors and mold....i've heard people complain he is hard to pose and balance, but i've never had any issues. he is a bit top heavy visually, but i like that.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Raika

Raika Well-Known Member

Boldform's Motormaster. It's very fragile and fiddly in places but I think it get the look right in every mode, more so than even the current "MP" ones in truck mode at least. It has lots of clever things about it too, like how it handles displaying each head.

Toyworld's Brainstorm, Brainwave. It got tons of hate for the X-Wing alt mode and not being the size people wanted (aimed at their HM line in general) but I love how it looks and enjoy the transformation. I desperately wish Toyworld had continued the line, they were all good.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. BluesLightPainting

BluesLightPainting Well-Known Member

I really like the Jinbao Dutch KO. Not sure why, and he still is far from perfect, but he's cute.

7. rendsora

rendsora Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Badcube Wardog. I lurve transforming it..it's enjoyable and irritating experience every time lol.

• Like Like x 10
  8. 26_Mirage

26_Mirage Heroic Stunticon

Omnigonix Spinout...whilst I do own MP Sunstreaker, I’ve always loved the toy-ishness of Spinout. Yeah, had to make many improvements/fixes but he still holds a place in my MP G1 display.

• Like Like x 12
  9. Artereis

Artereis Well-Known Member

I'm just going to go ahead and says CHUGG-scale combiners. Giant, M3, Quantron and Guardia are as good as combiners get, imo.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

This, and same. I had to do the fixes, too. His alt mode is great, but bot mode has its issues, particularly with his head not tabbing right. I got him for $45, so I can't really complain... well, besides the week after I got him, the official was announced.

Also, Ace Tumbler. Besides the Bugs Bunny feet, he fits the Cliffjumper role quite well in my display.

• Like Like x 1
  11. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Omnigonix Spinout. I like that it does not use faux parts, the back cleans up perfect and it represents a modern toy version. I treat it as a display piece not an action figure as it is a little fragile.

• Like Like x 8
  12. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

1) KFC Ditka - Blitzwing would probably be first. I have 3 copies (they kept putting him on sale) so I can have a bot, tank and plane on display all the time. Sure they needed parts in the knees but Xtrans gave them out to anyone who wanted or bought one. People act like that's the end of the world with him. How many other figures come out crappy and need parts? Lots. Once they're installed, it's Blitzwing all day long without one of the 3 modes "giving it up" to make the other 2 look good. Great figure!

2) Badcube's Speedbump and Lorry - Trailbreaker and Hoist. Love them. They look in my minds eye when I think of the characters, exactly how they should look. Sure the legs aren't the cleanest but they're good enough and the rest is just awesome for me.

3) Toyworld's Spaceracer - Cosmos. Again, it has so much personality, a little extra detail to just make him interesting to look at and "Pop" on the shelf.

4) MS-01 Optimus Prime (V1). Everyone else loves TE-01 or MP-44. Not me. This is my Prime.

5) DX-9 Mightron - Megatron. He's my on the shelf "Movie" Megatron. I never got the whole Despotron love and the official just doesn't look "right" to me (yes, I own one). His legs are way too skinny with tiny/narrow feet...like official Shockwave's.

6) Speaking of Shockwave, Fanstoys Quakewave - STILL my Shockwave on my shelf. Never replaced or considered getting something else. He's V1 and looks just fine.

I give a "runner up" to XT's Apollyon. He's got great presence and looks mean on the shelf. Not my #1 Megs but definitely a good figure and I won't get rid of him.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Banatine

Banatine Well-Known Member

I’ll second that one. That said, IF have come so far since they made it, it would be interesting to see if they could make it better with a 2.0 like they are doing with Soundwave.

or maybe an Octane. Always preferred Octane, even though he’s basically nobody’s favourite. Much easier to make as a toy too :) 

• Like Like x 4
  14. primetime77

primetime77 Well-Known Member

hmm i don't think many of those are hated. lol. i love spaceracer...he's got personality. he's not the most popular cosmos (xtb's seems to be?) but he is perfect for me. i also think ms-01 has tons of fans. i'm a TE-01 guy BUT i kinda want an ms-01X at some point too. Agree on apollyon. his upper body is still MORE megatron to me than mp-36... the badcube toyota trucks were popular for a while too and well quackwave WAS 3P MP before 3P MP was a thing. in some ways i still prefer him to all the other shockwaves too.

15. Forum Name

Forum Name Well-Known Member

MP09. I've always love him in all modes. I think he looks better (as hot rod) than any other available option.

• Like Like x 5
  16. John Prystash

John Prystash Member

I second Toyworld Crank (Kup). I kept eyeing him for a long time but stayed away because I felt it was wrong to love him!

• Like Like x 1
  17. boomerdave

boomerdave Owns three Ditka figures. O_o Veteran

I guess it depends on the person. I get a lot of "Why do you have that piece of hot trash on your shelf when you could have *insert most popular version here* instead?" :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  18. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    Fun thread…

Spinout. I have finally replaced him, but I think he was a wonderful representation of Sunny.
    Apollyon. Still the best overall looking Meg. While I now have IT's MP model, that pairs quite perfectly with TE-01, Ole Ap will ALWAYS be MP-10's arch nemesis.
    Wardog. LOVE that beast! I enjoyed the transformation, and he could kick that crap out of FT's thin mint. No replacing WD!
    Ditka. Granted, Im lucky to own one of the samples, so my color is correct. YES… he's back heavy (as is Kingorilla), but looks BEAUTIFUL, and I have NO problems posing him!
    UT's Ragnaros. Yes, I too wish he was a bit bigger, and BEEFIER, but I still think he looks the BEST out of the bunch. REALLY hoping they give us a Defensor to match!!!

• Like Like x 8
  19. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spaceracer is a good one. I missed it but got the zeta version and I think he's the best looking cosmos out there. I don't understand why most people seem to prefer XTB's. Now XTB's Seaspray, on the other hand, is just about perfect but I doubt that's a very important opinion.

I knew there was at least one figure in my collection that I was forgetting and Wardog is it. I still hate transforming him (tried it again a few months back cuz I had forgotten how bad it was) but I love his look. He just looks like a freaking tank. One of those cases where I'm actually glad they deviated from the source a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    MP-44....though it seems only folks in this area of the boards hate him .

• Like Like x 2