What exactly is the Matrix?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by HereticalHeresy, Nov 16, 2017.

1. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    So the Matrix is obviously pretty well known in terms of appearance. "Light our darkest hour" we know all that. But, what exactly is it? What allows it to be that big thing that solves all the problems, and what seperates it from other relics like the Allspark?

From my understanding, it seems to collect knowledge and wisdom of the Primes, but what makes that different from what the Allspark is, which appears to collect the sparks? What gives it that MacGruffin ability to "Light our darkest hour"? Feel free to go into headcanon territory.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DeletedUser_119270

DeletedUser_119270 Guest

The Primes placed their wisdom in it,and all Primes have carried it and its burden.A Prime relic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    It's a disco ball with some LEDs.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A portable juke box that plays heavy metal when opened

• Like Like x 4
  5. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    I see it as a mystical database of knowledge. One part history show, one part collective past lives of the ancients. Kinda like Aang's past lives in ATLA, minus the reincarnation angle.

• Like Like x 2
  6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The difference is that there WAS no Allspark in G1. There weren't even any sparks.

7. Altered Prime

Altered Prime Well-Known Member

The touch was the song that was played and I wouldn’t of called that heavy metal

• Like Like x 4
  8. Altered Prime

As concepts go the matrix predates the all spark.....And the all Spark was something that stemmed from the concept of the matrix not the other way around

9. valisihaud

valisihaud No rest for the delirious

While it may not hold true for all universes, most of the time it is a fraction of Primus's life-force and as such is a conduit for his power. The reason Unicron possesses such a weakness to the creation matrix it is because Primus and Unicron counteract eachother and direct exposure to their life force could kill either one of them.

• Like Like x 2
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Seriously. I'm not sure it even qualifies as hard rock. But yeah, definitely not metal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. HereticalHeresy

HereticalHeresy Decepticon

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    But Beast Wars introduced the Well of Allsparks, which could be considered it.

And don't the allspark and matrix co-exist some continuities, like in Prime? What's the difference then?

12. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The matrix resembles some manner of photonic memory storage device - I'd liken it to an EXTREMELY powerful light or "generic science fiction energy" powered memory drive that holds the data (if not the entire personalities of) prior Primes inside of a crystal. The holder of the matrix can access the memories within, giving them wisdom and knowledge beyond their years.

This theory kind of breaks down when you take into account that the interior of the matrix evaporated when a resurrected Prime used it to cure the hate plague. Doing this raises two questions:

1) What kind of energy powers the thing, insofar as it can destroy Unicron and cure a metaphysical plague, and;
    2) What exactly is the crystalline structure within the matrix?

I'd theorize that there's something special about the energy powering the matrix - to what end I don't know since it's basically a deus ex machina. However, I'd hazard a guess that the energy is highly volatile and needs the housing to stabilize the crystal looking thing inside in order to keep the "memory" within stable. It could very well be that if the energy stops, the crystal (which likely has some kind of near infinite storage capacity) breaks down. When the matrix is opened, the crystal is destabilized, releasing the energy and potentially burning or depleting the solid state crystal inside.

These are all my total guesses. For all I know, it's magical jell-o.

The Allspark is more or less the thing that gives Transformers life. Analogs are the Oracle/Vector Sigma from BW/G1. The Matrix in the cartoon is merely a vessel holding the wisdom/personalities of past Primes. This gets muddied in the G1 comic continuity, as the matrix in that universe is the Creation Matrix - basically a device that imbues life to Transformers. In the comics, the Matrix effectively IS the Allspark.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mugen Roid

Mugen Roid ☪ A Jester in a Court of Fools. ☪

It is metal, spefically the hair metal subgenre.
    The well of Allspark is where all life begins and ends, it creates sparks to live their life until they die and become one with the rest of the fallen. The Allspark is nothing more than a shell to channel energy as a implement for giving life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    This, it also contains the wisdom, knowledge and life experience of he primes who carried it. For G1 anyway. the movie matrix is less well defined.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Altered Prime

in what universe? And I mean seriously like South said it's hardly hard rock it all certainly not hair band anything

17. supernova222

supernova222 junkion

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    in my mind, it is the crystallized spark of the first prime, and it absorbs some of the spark energy of all who bear it to grow/evolve its power/wisdom

• Like Like x 2
  18. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Seriously. If anything it's pop rock or blues rock. Hair metal is Dee Snyder/Twisted Sister and the like. I can see where there'd be some confusion though. Whitesnake can be considered glam/hair metal, but they also have some pretty similar songs to The Touch and they flopped across rock genres (i.e. "Here I go again").

That being said, I suspect that the consensus among Matrix holders that rock of any kind is loud, discordant noise. I'd suspect Prime likes country western or Gordon Lightfoot or something.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
  20. Altered Prime

To me it's pop-rock with just a little bit more guitar

Not much different from Jessie's Girl