What era of TFs has 3P yet to fully dive into?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ErickCruz, Aug 4, 2021.

1. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    From the few years since I've gotten back to collecting, most 3P focus on (in terms of original/non-KO) G1, movies, IDW and the occasional inspired by original designs.
    For as much love Beast Wars, Animated and Prime get I don't really see 3P focusing on them. Even now when Hasbro bringing BW into the spotlight you'd think 3P would be all over it.

2. Fortynickel

Fortynickel Poors Extraordinaire

News Credits:
    3rd party really has not delved deeply into anything but G1, IDW and the Bayverse. The fandoms of the other continuities are unknown, in terms of the size and the commitment to purchasing unofficial figures. I believe they just follow Takara’s lead to gauge the level of interest and improve their chances for success. We’ve seen a few entities like Maketoys take a chance with Galaxy Meteor and not revisit it again.

Beast Wars limited character roster makes it difficult because 3rd party companies will have to compete directly with Takara, which they do not want to do. It also makes it tough to start a project because once Takara announces they have the same character in development, a segment of the sales are instantly lost. You can see this in how companies, like Perfect Effect and Generation Toy, take different approaches to avoid going head to head.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  3. MINDVVIPE

MINDVVIPE "The powers of darkness..."

Beast Wars is definitely one imo.
    Sure we have a spattering of legends and some of those transmetals (still kinda small imo) but there are tons of characters that haven't been done at the mp or even CHUG level. Perfect Effect has a few as well but just the prime megs guys iirc.
    That said I'm sure there's other stuff really lacking like armada or cybertron or RID, but I didn't watch those shows so I can't really comment.
    I would also love to see a line focused solely on all the Dreamwave designs. We have just a couple from there so far.
    Prime didn't have too many actual characters but it would be great to see them done in full 3P no holds barred style. MP styled insecticon, Shockwave, knockout, skyquake, and then those predacons.
    Wish 3P would cover this stuff as there is so much else to cover.

• Like Like x 1
  4. poor man

poor man Well-Known Member

Unicron trilogy. The original toys are incredibly dated and don't really do the show any justice. Fanshobby doesn't quite scratch the itch either with how stylised their stuff is.

• Like Like x 9
  5. octobotimus

octobotimus Anti-hype man

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Tf Prime needs love :( 

• Like Like x 11
  6. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Was there any characters from Animated that never got a toy? Because apart from that scrapped S4 and the PowerMaster Prime I don't think we can squeeze much from that series given how good the official toys already were.

TFPrime, however, still requires better toys. Especially Knockout. And Smokescreen. And Airrachnid. Especially Airrachnid

• Like Like x 8
  7. harrismonkey

harrismonkey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel like G1 is the only one they've hit thoroughly (although there is certainly still more). MMC has probably done IDW reasonably well, but IDW has barely been touched at the MP level. Movies now have a handful great figures (most of which exceed any official versions done) and lots of OSKO's of official toys exist (often with improvements). Beast Wars has been fiddled with, with a handful of MP style mechanical (non organic looking) interpretations of figures. But there is plenty more movie and BW stuff, as well as MP quality IDW stuff. I'm not even clear what else has occurred as far as official lines.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easterburn

Easterburn Your friendly neighborhood Digibasher

Animated, nuff said. No company try to KO the mold

• Like Like x 10
  9. NothingHead

NothingHead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Definitely Animated. A lot was left on the table, and with the almanacs serving as kind of a design bible it seems like it should be an easy win for the right company.

That said, fan backlash against this show was absolutely grotesque at the time, arguably worse than even the live action movies received. A lot of people have rose-colored glasses about the reception this series got, but it’s no surprise that it hasn’t gotten any 3P love, since the show runners were being threatened with physical harm for the crime of making something new. It didn’t help that the one 3P set that did happen was a couple of background characters and they went over like a lead balloon. I think you can still find them for sale on a few sites..

The other one nobody’s ever going to talk about is Beast Machines. We never got really accurate, gimmick-free, well-scaled figures from this series and we never will, which is a shame. No 3P company is going to take a risk on Nightscream when they can always just get every adult collector fanatically all-in on another Sunbow Menasor set..

• Like Like x 6
  10. bri888

bri888 bte888

Ebay:
    transformers animated 2007 and tf prime

• Like Like x 5
  11. Magnusfan Nujevad

Magnusfan Nujevad Well-Known Member

Kiss Players. Yeah I said it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. guarayakha

guarayakha Guara-guara-booyakha~!

Pretty sure every character in that series got their figure. Well except for Megatron/Legion. Gotta need future tech to engineer a proper elastic tentacle tongue for that.

13. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Literally anything but G1, IDW G1, and Bayverse.

Beast Wars has only just started to get some with the Transmetals, and UT has only gotten 2 figures released so far, with any more only coming from Fans Hobby.
    3-146.png 189396023_4478901588789743_4674947371172301428_n.jpg 159195071_4220745371272034_6692351894812000767_n.jpg

And then aside from the Prime KOs, RID, Animated, and the other RID haven't gotten anything.

Oh and Beast Machines. But I'd honestly be surprised if anything other than Megatron got made from Beast Machines.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Alph

Alph Well-Known Member

Speaking of IDW, how did that one get to be so huge with 3rd party? I honestly barely knew it existed and never knew it had its own unique designs until I got into 3rd party, at which point I started seeing it everywhere.

Was it, like, super successful in Asia or something?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  15. BulletSponge

BulletSponge A guy with way too many toys...

Curious about that myself, but my gut is telling me is because MOST of the characters are just modernized versions of their G1 alt modes.

16. CapZat

CapZat Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    most 3P companies release things without an order or any sense
    FT: random G1 characters
    UT: random characters from the worst movies
    BMB: Random SS characters
    MMC/OX: a really good release of their IDW line but the G1 line is a mess, random characters here and there
    TW: obsessed with their WWII OCs and random Movie characters
    now let's talk about Prime, APC is doing a very good (but SLOW) release, 1 Autobot - 1 Decepticon, amazing quality and great paint, easily the "MP" versions of the characters, the releases are slow because they want to milk the molds with repaints but I can't blame them, being slow is their only problem, and they have GOOD release order, now imagine a random 3P starts producing Prime figures, their first release will be maybe Vehicon, the next will be a random insecticon, you'll get Soundwave after 30 releases or maybe more (Hi FT) they don't have an order or they just don't care
    Animated and Beast Wars: they need a company like APC, a company with an order, releasing the main cast first because UNLIKE G1, shows like BW/BM/Prime/Animated have iconic main characters, random Junkion is iconic in G1 because he's a junkion and he's G1 and that's all, not because he has a personality, you have very unique and special characters in those shows, that's why they belong to the main cast and that's why they need to be produced in order, only APC is producing figures in order

17. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Unicron Trillogy. Please. Those designs are so much fun.

18. Admiral Prime

Admiral Prime Broken Faucet Repairman

News Credits:
    -Beast Machines (what does one have to do in order to get some damn good updates of the vehicons)

-Transtech

-RID2001

-Unicron Trilogy

-Animated

-Bayverse toy/game-only characters

• Like Like x 2
  19. Triceradon

Triceradon Well-Known Member

Alternators is my dream line, but definitely Animated.

• Like Like x 2
  20. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    2001 RID! Still waiting some 3P to tackle on my boy God Magnus!!

• Like Like x 3