What episodes of Animated had the best animation?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by TheQuazz, Nov 19, 2019.

1. TheQuazz

TheQuazz New Member

Hi. I was looking to rewatch Transformers: Animated (one of my favourite shows growing up, used to watch the hell out of both it and G1), and after watching some scenes on YouTube, I'm not really impressed. I've always heard that the show's animation was pretty good, but a lot of what I'm seeing is really poor. I'm not talking about character designs obviously, but the quality of the animation itself (fluidity of movement yadda yadda yadda). It really looks like a slideshow at times, terribly choppy stuff that barely conveys motion properly (motion blur is often used to cover up the shoddiness). This was just from the small amount of scenes that I saw though.

I was wondering, is this par for the course for Animated, or does the show sometimes live up to its name?
    I'm quite the animation nut, and visually interesting animation really does make or break my enjoyment of a show or movie.
    Are there any particular episodes or even scenes that stand out as looking particularly good? If so, I'd like to check them out for myself before committing to the entirety of a 3 season-long kids' show.
    Spoilers aren't a problem, I watched all episodes on TV as a kid and can recall the plot quite clearly.

Thanks guys!

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Home is where the Spark is, as well as Nature Calls.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    This.

4. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The two mentioned by Split Lip are sadly the only really great ones, everything else is pretty by-the-number and in Season 3 the overall animation quality dips prety fast on average.

It's unfortunately a show that was not given enough budget or production time for it's animation, despite it's name.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    It was also abruptly cancelled for a number of reasons; Season 3 was not intended to be the final season but it seems like neither Hasbro nor Cartoon Network wanted to fully invest in the show, despite the terrific story and characters.

6. TheQuazz

TheQuazz New Member

Ah, such a shame.
    Thanks for the help guys.

7. Snowcat

Snowcat Animation Detective

I seem to remember Garbage In, Garbage Out was also a pretty good looking episode. There was that wonderful Megs facial animation with the eye twitch. And the season 3 opening movie, Transwarped had some pretty good stuff too.

But yeah, the show has never really been known for having great animation, just great art direction. It's a shame. You should really check out the unique Japanese opening titles. For some amazing reason, when the show was dubbed in Japan they hired some anime studio to make a top tier quality opening. It's a small window into what the show could have looked like with a bigger budget. Awesome song too. Plenty of people have put it on youtube, go check it out.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    As the Almanac(s) talk about, unfortunately they had many animation problems. For example, there was every intention of having the Dinobots show up to "help" the Autobots fight Megatron from Megatron Rising, Part 2, only for the Animation to come back so bad that it wasn't usable and there wasn't time or the budget to have the studio take a third pass at it, so it had to be cut.

I'll be honest, I've never been a big animation snob, I care far less about budget animation then it would seem most anime fans do. I'm more of a follower of the thoughts of Miyazaki and John Lassetter's view, "No amount of great animation will save a bad story.” – John Lasseter. I want a good story and I don't really care what medium that is.

• Like Like x 1