What do you think of robot gods?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by QLRformer, Jan 1, 2013.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The late 80s changed TF forever with the arrival of the Transformer Destroyer Unicron and his counterpart the Creator Primus. Subsequent deities that followed were Liege Maximo (the manipulator), Vector Prime (time god), the Fallen (the chaos-bringer), and so on (there’s about Thirteen of the Original Primes, in G1 canon, as well as a special sub-canon called the Guiding Hand).

What do you think of them? Personally, I think it’s grand to have Transformers establish their own religion and pantheon. It may look weird to some, but it establishes culture on Cybertron and makes them, well, that much more interesting and otherworldly. It’s a bit like the THOR film, where the whole alien-god concept is blurred enough to make things divine and yet intriguing enough to raise interest.

2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I don't mind them per se, but I do dislike when, despite being treated and referred to as gods, there isn't really doubt as to their existence. If all the characters are in no doubt as to their existence, it makes them feel more like 'those really huge guys that existed a long time ago' than actual gods.

I'm all for the interpretation being set up by James Roberts in IDW's G1 universe, where Cybertronians have a pantheon of gods, and some people believe in them, others don't, there are endless different variations on their myth, and no certainties with regards to if they even existed in the first place. That's how religions are in real life, so it feels right that Cybertronian society would have similar circumstances.

3. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I love them. It would be cool, however, if there were people who doubted their existence, instead of everyone believing.

4. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Read IDW's More Than Meets the Eye, and specifically it's 2012 Annual. The Annual examines Cybertronian religion as its theme, and looks at different characters' personal faiths. Ratchet's an atheist, Skids is nihilistic, Swerve is just an average believer, Drift believes practically any myth he hears, and so on. One of the, if not the, best treatments of religion in Transformers fiction.

5. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Perhaps one day I will. I'm not big on comics though.

6. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Nah, I like the idea of some mad scientist creating Unicron and Quitessons creating the Transformers. It's like that episode of Star Trek: TNG when the crew discovers the Dyson's Sphere. I just like of things that huge being created.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I like Primsu and Unicron (hell my dream is to seem them finally duel it out) But I rather leave it being ambiguous like real life in the show since MTMTE had a great idea of everyone with their own beliefs.

8. gregles

gregles quintesson

until idw's more than meets the eye made it really interesting, ambiguous and open to interpretation I really didn't like the idea at all, as it felt like all storyline's involving something divine or mystical such as primus, unicron, the fallen, the matrix etc were really humourless bland, and were often resolved with really lazy writing and populated by unsympathetic, unbelievable and personality free good or evil characters.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Absolutely ******ed and an easy out for bad writing and/or lack of imagination. Just like people gods.

10. NeverDoubt

NeverDoubt Well-Known Member

I probably do prefer it to be more ambiguous and mysterious. Sometimes you say more by saying less.

11. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Unicron is the Chaos Bringer, not the Fallen. And the Thirteen aren't really gods. They were the first thirteen Cybertronians created by Primus who is their god.

I like them. I think it's a good idea but I also think specifics about them and their stories should remain a mystery.

12. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I'm also in the camp of loving it but wishing it weren't fact.

13. AutobotJazz1

AutobotJazz1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Primus and Unicron could be considered gods, right?

14. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally I'm fine with Transformers having a God. And Hasbro has hinted this stuff though the entire series that they have a sense of Religion.

Also on a side note about the Robot Heaven in ROTF, those Sparks gotta go somewhere after they're extinguished.

15. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    never liked the gods aspect. they're robots, revolting production lines suits it better

16. dirgestone

dirgestone Banned

I wish a story would be done where Primus made the autobots and Unicorn made the decepticons. Where there is deep meaning behind why the war is never ending. If those 2 are Gods, then the transformer would be in an eternal holy war.

17. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    I'd rather have it, there is a legend of 13 transformers, and 2 planet sized warriors, but they aren't Transformers, they're just 30 foot tall warriors, who wear armor that can turn into vehicles, just pure coincidence, kind of like in Thor, where the Norse Gods, aren't really gods so to speak, they're just a race of powerful beings, that in the olden days, were seen as Gods.

18. Soundpulse

Soundpulse Well-Known Member

Actually, Primus and Unicron are basically the sons of a god, who is The One. That's his name.

19. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I'm cool with the idea, just not how it's often portrayed. It's fine if they have gods and even a belief in a creator god, but does it have to be "for absolute certain?" Could Primus simply be not much more than an ancient misinterpretation of Vector Sigma? Could the Thirteen simply be ancient warriors who possessed technology that made them seem like gods? I for one like to link both the Quintessons AND the Vok to the creation of the transformers. The Vok being the creators of Vector Sigma and Primus being a hyper-evolved Vok, and the Quintessons being the ones who stole Vector Sigma and used it to create the Transformers--only for Primus to secretly use it to create the Thirteen and give them technology that they can use to lead the fight against the Quintessons. And the Quintessons try to make a copy of Vector Sigma and accidentally create Unicron, who nearly drives them to extinction. As for other gods beyond them...I don't know.

20. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

primus created 13 prime
    fallen is triatior son of primus