What do you think of g1/

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by G1-LORD GANGSTA, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    Could you please point out the weaknesses?
    And don't try to just blatantly insult it. You say you gave an 'analysis', but that was just outright insults. Just type out a comprehensive list of the show's weaknesses please.

2. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

For me, it was the animation style.

I just couldnt stand the style.I found myself mostly listening to each episode and ignoring the animation.

3. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    That's perfectly fine.
    But darkunor said the weaknesses greatly outweighed the good. If animation is the sole weakness, then I can't see his point.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Perfectly reasonable, er, reason there. Art is completely subjective, after all.

But I still want to hear reasons beyond "first = best" crowd for the G1 show, because that's a discussion I think would be fun, and an absolute miracle if we could actually pull it off without naming other series in the reasons.

5. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

Hasbro gave them names that's a fact. Hasbro bought the line that's a fact. Hasbro gave them life and bios that's a fact. Hasbro put them on the map and named them transformers that's a fact. G1 laid the foundation for the franchise transformers and every thing that followed that's a fact. If it wasn't for g1 you and me wouldn't be on this forum that's a fact. G1 is epic and historic and most of the charaters in the tranformers hall of fame are from G1 that's a fact.
    Hasbro gave them a series that's a fact.

6. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I don't have to read through the entire thread to know the majority of reasons will be "because it's the first!" No disrespect there, I just would also like to hear expanded reasoning.

My thoughts, G1 is great. It started it all, it's what I always fall back on, and it's always a ton of good memories. It's not my favorite though, but I certainly respect it.

7. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    I'm not arguing that you say G1 is best because it's first.
    But that post is just saying 'G1 was first. That's a fact" over and over again.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Oh, I'm going to have a field day with this.

Marvel.

Hasbro licensed several lines.

Marvel.

Sure.

This has nothing to do with the quality of the series. I want to know why you like the series CONTENT.

Ehhh.... opinion. Not fact.

Sure.

Sure. I don't see what that has to do with series that came two and a half decades prior to the hall of fame being established. It's a reflection of it, and people's feelings towards it, and a way to pay tribute to those characters, but really, nothing more. It can't play a role in what makes G1 great, just evidence that to many, it is great.

Marvel/Sunbow.

Again. I don't care about this. I want to know why you like the series. It's content. The show itself. The content of the show. The characters, the stories, that stuff.

Why is this so hard to understand?

9. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

I just pointed out some of the true fact's nothing more or less why you trying to say otherwise beat's me, of those fact's which is not true? Again someone ask for reasons so i stated the fact's which are my reasons that's all nothing more nothing less.

10. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Read my post. A LOT of those were not facts.

Read my post. really. Especially this part:

You really don't have any reasons that you like G1 most that have to do with the actual content of the show or comics, not even the content of the bios on the toy packages?

The bios, I loved those. They pulled me into the universe pretty damn well. They gave a hell of a lot of care into making even minor little toys unique in their personalities and backgrounds.

See that line above? That's the stuff I'd love to read about. It could be a GREAT discussion!

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

No thats not a fact.

Marvel comics did that.

Not exacxtly.

They bought the rights to use and sell toys based on the Diaclone molds in the western markets.

Wrong again.

That was also Marvel.

Again, Marvel.

So far all your "facts" arent.

Now you got one.

Thats debatable

True, but only one of all the characters on that list was voted in by fans.

And that was a Beast Wars character.
    Again, Marvel gets that credit.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Valkysas has a very valid point. I've read through most of this thread and the majority of your reasons for loving G1 is because, well it was the first. Is there ANY other reason besides that?

Do you like the animation?

Do you like the story?

Do you like the alt modes?

This is what Valkysas is trying to get at and I'm really, really intrigued to hear if you have other reasons.

13. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

But only 1 of your "facts" was correct.

14. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

It stole my heart and touched me in a way no other toy, series, in my 34 years like the series did and im sure it's the same for most g1 fans i don't care what flaws it had then or now, and hasbro gets all the credit when you get a g1 toy you can find hasbro stamped on it not marvel and hasbro has done more with it and made more money with it than marvel and sunbow ever has hasbro owns tranformers.

15. Matrixbeast

Ebay:
    But the Transformers you know and love is all thanks to Marvel.
    Maybe if you were talking about the toys...

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Elaborate! This could be a good discussion! Really!

For me, one of the big things that pulled me in were the bio cards, and the Transformers Universe comics. They gave a hell of a lot of care into making even minor little toys unique in their personalities and backgrounds, even to the point of naming their weapons and giving them crazy ranges and stuff. I thought all that stuff was SO COOL. I kept all of them until my mom threw them out some time during G2. By then, the red crayon box I kept them in had broken in half, and was being held together by a mess of scotch tape and a gigantic rubber band. Even then, the thing was so stuffed it couldn't close, it just looked like a really fucked up sandwich with a handle. The bios were more interesting to me than the show or comics, because they gave me a great foundation to come up with my own stupid stories and comics, which I thought were awesome.

I also decided at some point to rename Tracks "Speedfast". I was like three or four. it's... not one of my proudest moments, but it happened.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Who gets the credit for painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling??

Michelangelo, who painted it, or Pope Julius II, who ordered it to be done??

The obvious and logical answer is Michelangelo.

And Hasbro had close to nothing to do with how the G1 series came about.What they did was hire Marvel to create a universe for the toys, and that was about it.

Hasbro has done more with the TF brands over the years, but according to you, it all sucked.

All the credit for the G1 franchise being so popular rightfully should go to Marvel, they created the characters we love, they created the bios for the characters, they created the cartoon and the comics.

They created the G1 universe.

18. G1-LORD GANGSTA

G1-LORD GANGSTA Banned

Yes of course i loved the animation, most of the storys the toys that turned into robots from cars,jets ect. And if you really read the thread you would know that and some of my post on how i was impressed when i seen the toy's first hand how i was shocked by the 86 movie on how it has made me a fan since and how thought it was ahead of it's time in the series and toy's some of that at the begining of this thread but you must have skipped that huh?

19. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Can't stand the designs, I frigging hate those things, teen titans animation and transformers don't mix !
    Can stand the tone of the cartoon, the whole pokemonish approach= epic fail, this was in the analysis you describe as insults., my point wa that G1,for a kid anyway was a fairly serious cartoon and you hoped in subsequent incarnations it would evolve in this direction as spiderman did as I pointed out earlier but it didn't!
    The humans- Sari and that headmaster guy, enough said!
    Voice acting- this wasn't bad but certainly left no impression on me!

Sure the writing was tolerable but not overwhelmingly good to make up for these shortcommings in the show! I mean I will tell you that I really enjoy South Park when it's good but the animation is garbage IMO, however I feel the content ie the writing the pacing, the comedy and brilliance is so overwhelmingly good that I can stomach it's flaws but I can't say the same for TFA.

And Valkysas, the insults, what I meant was that probably hardcore fans that are partial to everything TF will indulge in it. And about me not watching TFA! Like I said the little of it I saw didn't make me even want to know what the bulk of it was about and even after it's completion what I read about still did not compel me to even watch. I saw episodes of TMNT 2003 didn't take it up untill 2007 and I read about it before I picked up the series and I liked it, so i was compelled to watch it cause it seemed interesting, TFA had no such effect on me! And I don't see why I should subject myself to something I clearly don't enjoy, I rarely do, the only exception to date is the shield TV show one of my all time favourites!

20. 643cade

643cade Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into the ongoing argument. Personally, I think G1 is great, but I do not and never will think it's the "be all end all" of Transformers. TFA was by far a better cartoon than the 80s one, and I have high hopes for TF: Prime; and the toys have certainly evolved to a FAR better point than boxy crap. G1 is great for the memories, but I'm not one to be stuck in the past, or complain endlessly about where TF has gone (except for Kiss Players *shudders*). G1 has been highly overrated, in my opinion, but it has a very important place in the Transformers franchise, and it entertained me endlessly as a child. Anyway, continue on with your arguments....