What do you think of Eugenesis (and TMUK)?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found this review of Transformers Eugenesis and wanted to know what people think of history (and also what people think of TMUK know).

Addendum 15 Eugenesis

2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    They had some pretty sweet ideas. Especially with the Cybertronian Empire. Eugenesis was pretty cool too.

3. Lucas35

News Credits:
    For those who want to know is a group of UK people in the 90s joined to create and continue transformers stories after the end of comics, Eugenesis is part of this chronology and it still exists today. These sites have explanations and some stories to read online (in the form of fanfiction and fanzine): theunderbase.co.uk and tmukhub.proboards.com

• Like Like x 3
  4. Succursal

Succursal Well-Known Member

It was a decent read but I felt like it dipped really shallowly into the characters, which made me like it less (I prefer character-centric novels). Maybe it was just because it hopped from character to character so much. It's weird because, from reading MTMTE, I've always labelled Roberts as character-centric over plot-centric. But then, he's focusing on a lot less characters and location in MTMTE than in Eugenesis.

Or maybe it's just the different mediums.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'm reading it right now, actually. It reads very much like a Furman-style Marvel UK plot stretched out over a much longer page count. So far, it's fun as a possible continuation of the Furman characters, but it really is reliant on the reader already being completely familiar with all the characters and concepts. For a story told in prose, there is about zero description of what the characters or locations look like. Tall, short, orange, blue, skinny, fat, nothing. You either already know who Thunderclash is and what he looks like, or you have no idea. You definitely won't get any idea from reading the book. But to the extent that this was probably written only for fans, I guess that's all right.

And I definitely agree with the post above that Eugenesis is way more plot-driven than MTMTE.

I will say, being about halfway into it now, that I would very much like to see Roberts do more prose work. Maybe even his own characters and world, rather than an existing franchise. I'd read it.

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    On a side note, I have always agreed with the premise Roberts uses in this story: that the Marvel Optimus died in 1987...blown up after the computer simulation game... and that the Powermaster version who returns is basically a copy, not the original character.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    way too damn long. so many pointless fights that could have been cut. and screw Kup, he didn't deserve his mildly heroic death.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    When I first read it I was so starved for any decent Transformers fiction that I loved it. On subsequent rereads, I like it a lot less. It's somewhat clunky in parts. Still, it's not bad, and a think if a fan hasn't read it, they should.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Part of the reason I like it was due to the fact that I always thought the Powermaster was a clone. Granted, a clone with most of the memories of his predecessor, but a clone nonetheless.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Exactly. Even as a kid reading the G1 comics, I thought that. And it was nice to see characters acknowledge that (even though it's not an official story).

• Like Like x 1
  11. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    Several paragraphs into that link above and STILL no idea WTF "TMUK" is?

So lazy when someone writes that much about something they want you to read then uses some obscure term without explaining it (I mean the on the link, not this thread).

12. Lucas35

News Credits:
    I explained in a post above:

For those who want to know is a group of UK people in the 90s joined to create and continue transformers stories after the end of comics, Eugenesis is part of this chronology and it still exists today. These sites have explanations and some stories to read online (in the form of fanfiction and fanzine): theunderbase.co.uk and tmukhub.proboards.com

13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    I liked Eugenesis and agree that while it did have some of Robert's trademark character work, it was more plot-driven than his current work on MTMTE, most likely because unlike MTMTE, he had to get the main story done within a shorter span of time. The guy writes a great Prime, I wish he were given more opportunities to do so.

14. Red Spider

Red Spider Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it but it seemed a little bit spiteful in places. Prime was very cool but a lot of the other Transformers we punked or neutered in ways that felt a little malicious. Grimlock was a non event and what happens to Sunstreaker stands out as particularly callous. Deaths Head and Galvatron were a little random too.

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Well the impression I got from the article is that it's basically MTMTE but even worse, and I don't like MTMTE either so you can probably guess how I feel about Eugenesis.

16. Napalm

Napalm Drinking About Robots TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not really if you haven't read it.

17. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I don't think there's any point for me to read it either.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  18. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    I agree with GoLion.

Eugenesis is refreshing in how (simply by being a "smart" and adult novel) it gets to... ahem, transform... how to tell a Transformers story, making it feel at once new, but also nostalgically comfortable.

A lot of the attention to small detail and world building you'll recognize from Roberts's MTMTE work, but there's even more room for depth here... which can be a blessing and a curse. Maybe this says more about the reader than the text, but I found myself having to reread many, many sections of this book. I felt that the plot and pacing and positioning of all the moving parts are not laid out in any kind of elegant way. This is definitely a novel in need of a good editor.

But it has some great character moments (this is Roberts after all!), and none of the MTMTE "Kumbaya" fluff. If you'd always wished to read an MTMTE story where the Bots and Cons are much more war vets than they are brothers and buddies, this is a story you shouldn't pass up.

So, I don't think I'd read it again soon, but it's very existence is a rare and kind of special treat. If you're a fan of smarter Transformers fiction, I think it'd be a mistake to knowingly skip it.

If you want to read more criticism, it was actually featured in the Harvard Crimson Newspaper over ten years ago, in a much more gushing review: Eugenesis Transforms a Childhood Classic | Arts | The Harvard Crimson

19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Nah, in my opinion it's way closer to Furman's Marvel UK than Roberts' current work.

• Like Like x 1