What do you plan on doing with your collection when you die?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Satomiblood, Oct 4, 2010.

?

What would you do with your collection?

1. Leave it with a spouse, child, or collector friend for them to enjoy (not sell)

52.8%
  2. Have the aforementioned people sell it to help cover your funeral and/or other potential expenses

23.9%
  3. Donate it to Toys for Tots, other children's charities, or a museum of some kind

8.0%
  4. Have it buried alongside you

15.3%
  1. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    I'd leave my collection to my two kids. My 3 year old son adores Starscream, and my 7 year old daughter loves and laughs at Grimlock! (loves the Grimlock's new brain episode) They had the Henkei Grimlock and Starscream last Christmas. The 7 year old can Transform Grimlock quicker than me!!! Don't know if that's impressive on her part, or sad on mine?!

2. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I will have them displayed in my tomb Pharaoh-style.

Nah, I really have no idea. I don;t plan on dying any time soon, so hopefully I have time to figure it out later.

3. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    If I get cremated, then I'll burn them all to dust and mix it in with my ashes. 'Til all are one... with my toys.

Nah, I'd probably sell them off or hand down a select few to relatives. I'm dead, so however sentimental they want to be with my toys or sell them off, it's their decision.

Man, this thread is kinda depressing.

4. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I probably would like to have it donated. But If I was to give it to a friend, I hope I be able to enact this scene:

Me: It is to you old friend.
    Friend: I'm just a soldier. I'm not worthy.
    Me: Nor was I, but one day a toy collector shall rise from our ranks and use my toy collections to solve our Transformer toy shortage problems.

Okay, seriously. I didn't know what to say on the last line.

5. Latias Prime

Latias Prime I'm only slightly crazy!

I'd have my lucky charm TF, Powerlinx Hot Shot, buried with me along with my favorites, the rarer ones my family can sell, and the rest will be donated to children living in third world countries who don't have good toys.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Probably a combination of some or all. I'd probably have one or two all-time favorites buried with me, the rest going to family/friends, to do with as they see fit - keep, sell, donate, or any combination thereof.

7. billcosby

billcosby Just Another Geewunner

News Credits:
    Ditto.

What kind of fool sinks thousands into a toy collection only to not take it to the afterlife with him??? :D 

8. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to write my will so that my collection will be donated as a prize for a charity auction at a convention.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Viking funeral.

They shall join me in Valhalla.

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

Funny, I was just thinking recently that I really should put together some sort of collection inventory for my wife in case I die unexpectedly. I'd probably want her to just sell them (unless she wanted to keep a few as mementos for herself or our future kids), but she wouldn't know the difference between a rare, expensive Botcon/e-Hobby/vintage figure and a $10 Target bargain bin figure. I was thinking I need to take photos of each, and write down detailed info like the exact name of the figure, the condition it is in, and approximately how much it is worth (at least currently). Just the information she would need to sell the stuff for a good price and not get cheated.

Even aside from unexpected death, it's probably not a bad idea to have a catalog like that anyway for insurance purposes in case of fire or something.

Maybe TFW needs a buddy system wherein collectors pair up in case of accidental emergency, to keep each others' loved ones from getting cheated on the secondary market. :p 

11. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

What about a body-bag? Would AFA grade it then? Of coarse, it would probably need to be a transparent body-bag. :) 

You bag'em we tag'em! LOL!

As for me, I plan on living as long as possible to see how far we humans will go. Plus, wouldn't it be interesting to see how long the Transformers franchise survives?

12. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

A friend and I have agreement to help the other's family liquidate our collections (in exchange for first picks) should the need arise.

If handled properly, proceeds from my collection could cover most of the mortgage on my house.

13. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

No, that would be like custom packaging. I guess the only way to really AFA a corpse is if it died before it came out of it's mother. So you can only AFA dead babies.

14. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    I will have an underground, waterproof vault constructed. My cremated ashes will be placed in a golden urn in the center of the room with all my toys on bookcases surrounding me. The vault will be covered over and grass allowed to grow over top so that it will be impossible to determine that anything was ever buried there. Then, my lawyer will distribute a list of the toys that are contained within the vault and series of cryptic clues, thus creating a madcap, zany, "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World"-esque treasure hunt.

You may all now wait patiently for me to die.

15. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    I'm not gonna do shit ..... i'll be dead

16. TehPaws

TehPaws I have a silly name!

Eh, I don't plan on having funeral costs, and there's no point in keeping them when I'll probably be the only one in the family who cares. Might as well donate them for other kids to enjoy them as the toys they were meant to be.

17. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With one exception, I plan to donate all of my toys to some kind of children's charity. If I have some items that happen to be exceptionally rare or valuable, I'd make a note of them specifically to let the charity know that it might be better to auction those figures off and get the money for them, rather than just giving them to a child. Honestly, if I found out I had some terminal disease and only a short period of time to live, I'd probably donate them before I die, just so I can personally hand them out and spread a little happiness. As far as I'm concerned, I'm just 'renting' these things to enjoy for a little while during my life; they're meant to be played with and enjoyed by kids. This is all contingent on my current life plan of 'no marriage/life-partner, no children'.

The one exception is Armada Unicron. When I die, I'm going to be cremated and have my ashes packed into the various spaces in Unicron's robot mode (shins, forearms, abdomen, etc), using the figure as an 'urn'. Unicron will then be interred with my ashes and I get to spend eternity with one of my most prized toys.

I have something like this for my collection, for insurance purposes: An Excel workbook with everything listed and a bit of information about each toy, as well as photos of everything with the accessories clearly displayed. Took a couple of months going through my whole collection and getting it started, but now that I'm to the point of just adding stuff as I buy it, it's surprisingly easy to keep updated.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  18. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am thinking of making a a mausoleum and treating the upper section as a museum for my toys. I currently have a room dedicated to my stuff, and it would be a shame for it all to get tossed. I think I am around 1000 pieces now.

19. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Don't know, don't care. I'll enjoy them while I can.

20. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would leave my transformers to my family, which ever ones they dont want they can sell but I doupt they would.