What do you NOT collect, but kind of or really want to?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by supervir2, Oct 5, 2016.

1. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Due to space and money, I am constantly facing decisions about what I'm actually going to collect and to what extent. I pass on some things because they're redundant, others because of cost, some because I like other stuff better, etc. a few examples:

Star Wars - enjoy the franchise, but only have a few troopers, SHF ANH Luke, and soon Han. This could get crazy expensive and use a lot of space quickly. I've chosen to admire it from afar in general. Lego SW is another hole I've largely avoided. Just have 2 x-wings as they're my favorite ship.

MOTU - I have filmation He-man DNA Skeletor and that is good enough. I had a fair few as a kid and could easily pick up the new versions of those characters as well as greyskull, but I'm trying to limit it to the must haves for space and money reasons.

TF's - lots of CHUG and 3P stuff is really neat, but can't have everything, so I have to pass on non-BW MP and non s1/s2 MP's

Neca - predators, aliens, rocky, terminator - lots of stuff I kind of like, but not quite enough to nab a random figure

TMNT - I do have the SHF turtles on order and will get Shredder, but the megablocks, Classics, revo, and many others are quite tempting. Just have to say no.

So, where do you draw the line?

2. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Anything I really want to collect, I do.

Right now, some people on another forum are tempting me with their 1:18 car collections. I have a few but didn't consider taking up collecting more until now. I probably won't and a big thing for me is I'm very specific about what car models and colors I want...luckily, most of what I want doesn't exist so money saved!

The only other thing I kind of want but just don't want to fall into is the big DX SOC figures like Great Mazinger, or even just the regular SOC figures. I have one SOC and I'll probably get at least one or two more but I think that's it.

Star Wars is my #1 most loved franchise so I'm deep in that. The other stuff you mention, I'm also interested in but not enough to collect. Other than non MP Transformers...I have little to no interest in those at all. I only want MP level or better stuff and will only buy the cheap stuff you find on shelves as an impulse but have only done that once in the last 5 years or more for Legends Shockwave.

MOTU is something I like but the figures I want are so hard to get or expensive, it's a joke. I'm happy with my original collection of those.
    Neca is also impulse buy stuff if I see a really good one on sale...Last one I got was a T-800 Endoskeleton for under $10. Except their Godzilla line. I get all those except the stupid pixel version and 2014 version.

TMNT are cool and I always wanted a good set of those figures but don't feel like shelling out for the SHF and nothing else seems worth it.

Same for DBZ and Kinnikuman SHF...I like them but don't want to fall down those holes. Just don't care enough about them to spend the money and make the space to display them.

Right now, for me it's:
    #1 Star Wars
    #2 Marvel (including Comics)
    #3 Macross
    #4 Godzilla (very selectively)

And as an offshoot, Lego for the above franchises (I guess just Star Wars and Marvel) and some other random kits or minifigures.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Kinda really like a lot of pop figures, but only get ones that I find on clearance like the ghostbusters 3 pack, stay puft, and professor x.

Ghostbusters and ninja turtles. Again, unless on clearance I'm just not buying these.

4. Raiju

Raiju Kaiju Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ghostbusters and Marvel Legends, for certain. 1/6 scale figures too. Outside of a literal handful, I don't collect 12" figures due to money and space constraints.

5. Andratron

Andratron Andurz

Marvel Legends...REALLY like the look of them, but the distribution is pretty crumby up here in Canada (at least around me) and I can never actually bring myself to buy any of them when I do see them. Only bought one once, and it felt "JUST" overpriced enough for what it was to make me hesitant to get more.

Then by the time they're on sale, the ones I want are never around!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Slave IV

Oh yeah, 1/6 figures. I've very selective with those but given the money and space, I would be all in for the Star Wars stuff at least. Don't care about Movie Marvel Stuff but if they ever did comic versions, ALL IN (again, given money/space).

7. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

Mezco 1/12th. All I have is the Frank Miller Batman. I'd love to get all their comic characters but it's just too pricey.

Bandai Movie Realization line. I have Vader but just can't afford to get all the others which I really want.

8. Slave IV

I'm going to see how much I like my Mezco Cap when I get that and see how it goes. So far, they don't look good enough for me to want all of them, especially for the price they ask. TDKR Batman is one of my favorite figures though. I'll never need another Batman figure now that I have that one.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Sort of the same for me... only I eventually caved. I had never bought a Marvel Legends figure in my life, but then the recent X-Men wave happened. I wasn't actually a Marvel anything collector, but I was interested in the getting some of the Jim Lee era X-Men, and couldn't really shake it this time. To make matters worse, after I got a few of the ML figures, I also bought a few Marvel Diamond Select X-Men figures, because again, I wanted a Jim Lee X-Men set. So, now I have two ML X-Men and three Marvel Select X-characters.

10. Crockett

Crockett natural bodybuilder

Well, I stopped watching wrestling many years ago. But the nostalgia freak in me wants to buy 80's wrestlers when I see them at the store. Most recently, I saw Big Boss man at my local TRU, heh.

I don't buy any, though. I can't afford them.

11. Slave IV

Haha, not something I want to collect a bunch of but I have a select few. Taker, Ultimate Warrior, Sting and just got Big Boss Man. Not too many others I really want other than Macho Man.

12. Drangleic

Drangleic Hell devours the indolent

Yeah, it's an awesome figure. I'm definitely going to get their comic Superman but no plans for anyone else. Just too much $ to go around for other things as is.

13. GreenScream

GreenScream Neo G1 Collector

News Credits:
    SH Figuarts - I'd like to collect more from them but can't due to space. Plus rising yen doesn't help to import. As it stands I only buy OT Star Wars, MCU, DCU, and Kinnikuman Figuarts.

Mezco 1/12 - I like some of the sculpts but $70-80 a figure is too much to dabble in. Also, not a big fan of soft goods but I do like soft good capes. lol.

NECA - Good value and great sculpts. QC issues make me a MISB collector. That's no fun, so got rid of most figures. Only keeping Ultimate line.

14. Spark Extractor

Spark Extractor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've really been dealing with space and money issues and trying to keep my collection from spreading out to too many franchises and toy lines.
    This is what I'm currently collecting and trying to keep to as far as franchises and lines.
    Transformers: Masterpiece and TFPrime
    Star Wars: Hot Toys and Movie Realization
    Legend of Zelda: Whatever I want, but have kept it to select Figma/Nendoroid/Amiibo/UDF/WoN/F4F
    Mezco One:12: Whatever I want, which comes close to getting them all.
    BatmanTAS: Going to keep a small collection of figures plus the Batmobile/Batwing/Batsignal
    Odds&Ends: A couple random things are nice but trying to keep it to no more than 20 total. (couple Comicave IM, couple SRC, handful of HotToys Marvel, non Zelda Figma, etc...)

1. Lego- my kids have some (and they're not 'secretly' mine). I do have a few micromaster Star Wars, but will get rid of them soon.
    2. Funko Pop- they all, and I do mean ALL, look so good. Don't have a single one.
    3. TMNT- Really tempted by the SHFiguarts though.
    4. Chogokin- Absolutely love them and used to collect them but have sold all of them off except SRC Grendizer w/Spazer. I may still get a choice few, but won't collect them again to the point where I have 20+.
    5. Star Wars Black Series- I have had big collections of them 3 times now and sold them off. I might still get the Rebels crew, but no more than that.
    6. Star Wars S.H. Figuarts- I just can't. It's either Movie Realization or these. M.R. wins since I have Hot Toys for movie accurate figures.
    7. Transformers (except for MP and TFPrime)- I've had lots, but am down to one shelf whose days are numbered. There's too many. 3rd party are now out except for FT dinos/insecticons and XTB Apollyon.
    8. 1/4 Scale- I'd love to get some but they take so much room they're out (would make an exception for Legend of Zelda).
    9. Mask- not going to open that can of worms.
    10. DC Collectibles Bombshells. Would love to get the statues and the upcoming action figures, but can't.

I could probably go on. There are just so many different fun-top quality things being made right now that it's easy to get lost in a see of 'that looks cool and I want it' to the point where you're just buried in toys. Even just keeping to where I'm at is starting to feel like it's too much. Doing 84/85/86/ MP TF's means the collection will eventually double. Doing just the select HT SW and what has been shown for the Movie Realization line means that those collections will double as well. I know the Zelda collection will double and getting the F4F Link on King of Red Lions will take up a lot of space. Mezco One:12 will more than double, and they are just getting started. At least the TFPrime is done and BTAS will be fairly small (other than the space issues for the Batmobile/Batwing). At some point in the future I'm going to have to further whittle down what I have even though I feel like I am only getting the 'best of the best' already. At the end of a day it's a good problem to have, so no real complaints from me.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    SH Figuarts. I have a few, but I'd love to get way more. Likewise I'd love to get the Bandai 1/12 Star Wars models but they're hard to find on the secondary market for decent prices.

16. Flexx Ark

Flexx Ark Original Cyberverse - Yes! New - Meh......

News Credits:
    Legos and Pops for sure. Once I got started, it wouldn't be pretty, so I pretty much don't.

17. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

Macross Valkyries but they are so hard to come by and so expensive.

18. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Oh yeah, Lego is the big one.

I've always loved Lego -- still have most of my childhood pieces in a giant box in the garage. I always see newer sets that interest me (especially the collector scale town buildings, and the Batman and Star Wars sets), but between the cost, and the amount of room they take up, I'm very hesitant to even start down that path. I only have a couple SW microfighters in my current collection.

19. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Hot Toys - Can't afford them.

20. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    SO MUCH THIS. This really hits on the spark for this thread. There is just so much quality product out there and it seems like more and more is being made each year. I truly love having this problem as it means having some really neat stuff, but like you said, I'm going to have to trim some things in the nearish future that I'd have killed to have even 5 years ago. Even the things I do collect end up with pretty strict limits in order to no overwhelm.

• Like Like x 1