What do you do with the extra stuff that isn't the figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Iruini, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

Stuff like weapons, boxes, instructions, broken figures, stuff you have no idea where to put like power core combiner drones. What do you do with it? do you put all the boxes and instructions crap in a closet like me or like another place to store them? do you throw away the box? do you just keep the figure in a box? Do you try and make the box a part of the display on your shelf? Do you have the weapons that come with a figure on the figure or in storage. What do you do with the broken figures/incomplete figures with missing limbs. I thought this could lead to some interesting answers

2. KraegorStark

KraegorStark Well-Known Member

YouTube (Custom URL):
    3P and MP boxes are kept, all else is recycled. Extra weapons, etc go into a drawer (that's getting pretty full) unless the figure goes into storage, then the parts are put in a Ziploc with the figure. Instructions stack up in a box. I think those will get recycled eventually as well.

3. OmegaTaco Supreme

OmegaTaco Supreme Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb

I only collect MP. I have all the boxes in bigger boxes in my basement and keep all the items and instructions in ziplock bags along with mini tools, toyhax stickers, and other stuff in a storage bin on the bottom of my display shelf.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Only thing I toss is the box (except for Takara packaging). Everything else gets stored in Ziplocs and bins.

However, I have read of people discarding undamaged accessories that they don't care for. Assuming they're serious, that's pretty wasteful and borderline idiotic.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get clear storage shoeboxes and organize them there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeet the box in the bin

• Like Like x 1
  7. WarInTheFloor

WarInTheFloor Well-Known Member

Junkion/ junk planet dio area

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    Takara MP boxes are kept in a bin and any/all accessories are kept in ziplocs and stored in another bin.

How so?

9. Applejacktimus

Applejacktimus Still see the Sunshine

Imagine having a broken accessory and reading about someone literally throwing their copy in the trash. You couldn't have sold it to someone who needs it, in exchange for money?

• Like Like x 4
  10. Redog75

Redog75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I keep all boxes and packaging for anything MP and Siege (I really love the art). Manuals are all kept. Accessories are all kept. Heck, I buy extra blast effects *LOL*

I don't have any broken figures, but if I did I would still display them. How perfect are they for a battle scene?!?!?

11. Venixion

Venixion Its always the middle of the night in Moonside

News Credits:
    Packaging goes into the recycling bin.

Instructions and weapons go into a box unless they're needed for a photo shoot.

I don't really care about weapons tbh (except Soundwave's.) They're pretty boring, its just gun, gun, gun and the occasional sword. I sometimes think about giving the guns away.

12. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 number one Bangles fan on the boards

News Credits:
    Packaging gets recycled. I don't have the room for it. I do clip out bios, though.

Instructions are sorted by series, same with the bios. They go into boxes. Spare weapons/accessories are also sorted by series and stored in a box.

13. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    If im being completely honest, banking on a "what if" for a very minimal monetary return hardly seems worth it in the long run.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tprime

Tprime I still function!

News Credits:
    I keep everything. Anything I am not using goes back in the original box and those boxes are stored in a larger cardboard box in my closet. I figure one day if I intend on selling them, having the original weapons, insert, instructions, etc... will help with the sale.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Iruini

Iruini Some shitposter

what happens when you run out of closet

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Sometimes, people will just give away the unwanted accessories too. Whether it's storing, selling, trading, or even donating, any of those options are better than straight-up tossing them.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tprime

Tprime I still function!

News Credits:
    I am very close to that at the moment actually. For the longest time I had boxes of unopened items and did not want to keep them in the garage out of fear that they would get ruined. I instead kept them in my guest room closet. I have since opened and displayed a lot of those figures, so now only the empty boxes remain. For those, I am more willing to move them to the garage to make more room in the closet and still stick to keeping just the unopened ones in the closet.

What happens when I run out of both closet and garage space? I am hoping by then I will have moved to a bigger house with more storage :D 

18. Optimum Supreme

Optimum Supreme Well-Known Member

My g1 boxes (and the few g2 I had) my mom gutted the styrofoam/cardboard inserts and folded them up, and I've kept them in the basement since. Carded toys had the bubbles removed. For g1, I also cut off the techspecs and kept them separately (along with my GIJoe filecards).

Everything RID (original) and since, I collected into trashbags, and keep them in the basement too. I cut oopen the bubbles of carded ones, rather than rip them off, and most are still partially attached. Some fell off though (cheap glue when they were originally made?)

I kept every instruction manual in various boxes, but darned if I haven't had to occasionally look online for scans on some too complex figures when I couldn't find certain manuals and I hadn't used the toy in years.

Accessories, mainly leave them attached to the toy when I put it away in a box. Older stuff where you couldn't do this, either loose in the box or in a small tub/pail that also goes into the box. A lot of missiles from modern stuff, I didn't leave in the toys as I didn't want them randomly shooting off. G1 stuff mostly didn't shoot (US releases), so not a problem. Anyway, I used to keep them all (modern) separately from the figures but together but darned if I could remember exactly what I did with them all, other than I know I absolutely did not dispose of them. Figures that just look wrong with out them, like chug seekers, I took a risk keeping the missiles on them. Pressure missiles didn't worry me either, so they all stayed, it was just spring loaded that bothered me.

Poster/catalogs/etc., g1 mostly in a box in the basement (as are most g1 manuals), though I do have one of each year's catalog kept upstairs where I can easily find them if I want. Modern cruft like mini comics/etc. in with my modern manuals of the same lines. Full size comics, from late Generations and some CW, just stacked neatly and placed in something like a Barnes and Noble shopping bag.

Cards are in a mess, just piled up in various spots, but never thrown out. If they came in a plastic "bag" they're still in it.

I pretty much throw nothing out but REAL garbage, like food wrappers or really old useless stuff I barely needed even when new. Even then it was hard a decade or so back when I threw out tons of old issues of Previews catalogs (comic book distribution catalogs). And when I say tons, it wasn't just a far off metaphor, those things were each about the size of a phone book and I had years worth of them (one a month) to get rid of. But I digress...

Yes, one of my figs a while back came with an incorrect accessory and I complained about it online, then a nice person offered to send me a replacement as he had extras for some reason. I gratefully accepted. If he'd just thrown them away, that would have helped exactly no one.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
  19. Houstonian Prime

Houstonian Prime skilled tradesman

News Credits:
    I use the plastic trays from the construct-bots series, they have snap-on lids. instructions in ziplocs.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SinisterSpinister

SinisterSpinister Violently Neon

News Credits:
    I keep the boxes in a closet if they’re in good condition, but I’ve been considering thinning that out for a while now. Instructions all get saved, usually in their packaging, or if I don’t have the packaging, in TR Trypticon’s box. Unused accessories all go in a little drawer (if I want to take them out and mess with them occasionally) or stay in their packaging (if I almost never plan on using them).