What do you absolutely love about IDW comics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AnomusPrime, Mar 27, 2017.

1. AnomusPrime

AnomusPrime Very sane, not crazy at all

I have read the essay! This is such an interesting read (although I have to look up some philosophy terms in it.) and I disagree with so many things! But to properly write about it... It will take some time and probably shouldn't be put on this forem. I have to warn you I'm not Freudian at all! I've always found his theories more fiction than science, and his observations too focused on the mentally maladaptive to not be skewed. In fact, I prone much more towards Rogers.

Let me focus on one part I do agree to an extent. That is Zizek's statement against moralism: that a society, as a system, should make it natural for the people inside of it to act morally, instead of brutally demanding morality of its residents. However I don't think moralism is JRo's theme in his depiction of sadistic behaviors in the comic. I think it's the opposite. He writes it to show that everyone can be like this, and instead of condemning and blaming, understanding and acceptance these flaws are much more needed. We are all flawed in our humanity, but in each of us also resides an ability to empathize, a potential to grow better. The world is much more complex than mere moral judgements allow. I may be wrong but at least that's what I get from reading MTMTE.
    Also about Zizek, he sees the flaws in the system that enlarges the flaws in humanity and that such systems must be changed. I agree. We all live in systems. When the system itself is wrong, we need to jump out of it. But imo the most limiting system that we need to jump out of is the cycle of violence. Whatever victory comes through violence is only temporary, and incomplete, relying on suppressions. What should the new system be then? And how can the current one be changed? If the change comes from violence of any kind, of one group suppressing the other, than the new system will be doomed from the start. Its method of formation already betrayed its purpose. It's still a bad one and will fail over time. And I think that is what is wrong with Megatron's revolution.

So how would Zizec propose to make the changes to the system then? Can a military spirit really achieve that? Combativeness causes anger, which reduces communication. Yet the people who disagree will not disappear (and should not be disappeared).

No matter what, wouldn't it still have to be done by people? Then wouldn't it still require the people themselves, without being forced, to change? To become better? More "moral" even? It seems to me, in order to achieve a "not moralistic system," we do have to in effect make better morality and be more adhesive to "morals" first.

Maybe instead of a forceful revolution, we need an evolution of our culture, or a revolution of our way of thinking. And that itself is the new system. To achieve that, the first notion we need to banish is any person as enemy.

(That said, I do realize I myself is not a perfect example, but the point is, I'm trying. And trying really should be enough of a requirement to anyone who is a mortal.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  2. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I love that it made me like several characters I hadn't really cared about beforehand.

Kup, Springer, Impactor, Rodimus, and Ultra Magnus are characters I couldn't really care less about before IDW. Now they are literally some of my favourite characters in the entirety of the Transformers mythos.

• Like Like x 2
  3. AnomusPrime

They make me like some characters whose type I never thought I'd like. Starscream, Whirl, Impactor, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Megatron´s arc.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

Impossible!, our replies are only making him more powerful, always wanted to say that.

As for what I love about Idw I would say one great aspect is how cryptic and ambitious some of the storytelling has been. If you look at arcs like Shadowplay, chaos theory two parter and elegant chaos and how they kept us second guessing and studying every aspect of them and how they fit together is really impressive. I know the story mysteries have been rudely interrupted by some of Idw events but hopefully they should bring this aspect back.

• Like Like x 2
  6. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    in mtmte s1 chromedome killed rewind, and it was an act of love. he struggled with the fact that to forget that, to forget what he had lost, to forget what he had done, to cut himself off from grief, would have been a betrayal of that love.

if there's any authenticity to be found in the decepticon revolution, megatron must have been acting out of love when he killed that cop in megatron origin. that recognition of the injustice done against another subject, and the immediate, inexorable answer to that injustice, is political love. that love is a passion alien to the self, it's monstrous, it's what ripped the decepticons out of the fabric of civil society, and it's what bound them together under a new law. to someone outside of that love, someone still living under the old law, it can only appear as radical Evil.

when megatron abandoned terminus, when he chose the cause over the life of his mentor, this must also have been an act of love. when he could not bear the weight of that decision, when he edited terminus out of his manifesto, he betrayed that love. and that laid the way for every "statistic", every death glossed over as an acceptable loss.

the decepticons failed before they began because megatron was not merciless enough.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  7. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Harold, They're Lesbians.

I love that it got me into collecting the best action figures ever made (though my wallet sure doesn't). I first started reading MTMTE and RID back when the Thrilling 30 toy line was in stores. Before that, I had only collected the odd figure here and there, and I had never really connected with the story of transformers outside of the Animated and Beast Wars cartoons. For a little while, I was throwing around the idea of an Animated collection, but decided against it once I found out the line was missing key characters and went for a pretty penny on Ebay. All that was on the shelves was Bayformers (based on movies I absolutely loathed) and... G1? That shitty cartoon? I didn't grow up with it, so I feel my viewpoint was understandable, but at the same time there was always a part of me that liked the concept, even if the execution usually left something to be desired. So when I discovered that the current G1 comics were as good as anything I had read from DC or Marvel, I pretty much instantly fell in love with the whole franchise.

And then of course Hasbro has gone ahead and continued to make amazing toys of all my favorite characters. Between Combiner Wars, Titans Return, and the all the toys I missed from the previous Generations lines, its been a whole lot of fun filling out my collection over the last few years. I even collect the characters that IDW hasn't really done anything with, like Highbrow and Computron (the combined mode) and enjoy making headcanons about how they fit into the universe off the pages of the comics. And there's still so much plastic goodness to come. All the Phase Sixers in Leader class? All of the Wreckers? Nautica?! Friggin' METALHAWK, and he's based more on IDW and not a silly Pretender?!!! Maybe even a Thunderclash next year, if those 4chan rumors are true?! ...yeah, it's all good.

TLDR: IDW is the reason I'm here on TFW2005, enjoying the hobby with you all.

8. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator

News Credits:
    Okay folks, you need to knock off the spam posting and the trolling/flaming between members here... if you don't want to read another member's posts, then IGNORE THEM!! Do NOT continue to engage people accusing them of trolling and then do the same thing yourselves.

This is supposed to be what you love about IDW Comics... not hating on someone's posts.

Thread scrubbed for Rule 2 and SPAM... this is the only warning, next time thread bans or infractions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. AnomusPrime

I agree with this. This violence is out of love, and he went through the grief, to not to betray it. But cruelty is still inherently in it. (it is also different from the dangerous idea of abondoning grief as a betrayal of love. He merely need to graduate from it, not avoiding it.) When I mentioned violence as a faulty system, I did not mean every act of violence, but the thinking that violence can be a solution to social changes.

This political love you talk about, it is very interesting. Yet I want a clearer definition of it. Does it includes rage?

I half agree here. Megatron's action is half because of love, in a broader sense. But love does produce hate too. When something is hurting what one loves, anger and hatred arise. They lead to apathy and violence. This is where I think distinction should be made. His action of killing was brought by the apathy and violence that followed the love. Because one has to be at least apathetic to the other's pain in order to hurt him. (And apathy can even more dangerous than hatred because of how harmless it seems.)

Also, I think the killing was not entirely of that too. It was also because Megatron was traumatized at the time and the trauma had lowered his sensitivity to violence. He himself was surprised by his own brutality. And his aggressions were already lurking there waiting to lash out.

This, I have to disagree. I think he chose the writings over the Terminus because of how he was just traumatized at the time. If he had not been just "needled" he would not listen to Terminus' "don't get attached" and insisted on saving him, imo. It was the losing of agency (from whatever the needles had took from him) that propelled that action. It is less of a decision than a confused and disoriented person grasping at a course of action. Because he had lost his agency at the moment, he obeyed Terminus' advice instead of his departed old self (which insisted he value his Self, and not to become a figurehead, less than a person).

He did not betray that ideological love, because he had already lost that love, and was left with a ghost of it which, in the absence of a wholesome Self, he desperately clung to. In removing Terminus' name, what he truly betrayed was his Self, whatever sliver of it that was left. And that betrayal was a full commitment to the ghost love. I don't think his original ideology really made sense to him anymore, for it was inseparable from his old Self, he was reduced and adhering to a purpose from the ghost of it helped him cope. He can not be without a purpose.

I agree that he couldn't bear the weight of it, because he was not all gone. So he figuratively killed these sentiments. He put the name there firstly to honor what Terminus told him, and he removed it to fully commit to it, to not get attached. Yet he failed, because he clearly got attached multiple times. He was not a Monster, just someone foolish enough to aspire to be.

Why the words like "monstrosity?" Why the "traumatic" kernel? These words indicate a fear that I do not think is necessary, or really deeply rooted. Maybe it is not to live with Monstrosity, but to deconstruct it. To rip off the mystery, and show the very common and unimpressive flesh underneath.
    What does this "mercy" mean? What is the "new law?" Do you mean Megatron allowed himself to be apathetic? That he was not harsh enough and allowed cowardice into his cause to not really process their atrocity? Do you think it is not the violence itself that inherently failed the cause, but the thinking that it was acceptable? Or do you mean something else? These words are too cryptic for me to interpret. Are they related to "super man?" Would you expend?

I think the use of violence is simply not going to work as a real solution, because it is inherently wrong that we should do this to each other, and it always multiplies if released.

And let me say I value your reply. No matter what I agree or disagree with, it is still very much valued. They are not easy to reply to, which is very good.

Edit: I need to add that abondoning grief is not actually betrayal. This is very important. Clinging to grief to show loyalty is not actually any good for the loved one, but a delusion that is detrimental to one's own mental and physical health. The dead stays dead. The more important thing is always to heal yourself.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  10. Michael Howey

Michael Howey Member

I picked up Furmans start and loved it right up to All Hail Megatron, which was a mess. The whole idea of transforming as a disguise has never been well addressed before or since. The Machination taking out Sunstreaker clearly showed that these robots are tough but you don't try to take on a planet in the light of day.

11. AnomusPrime

3. Optimus' killing of Galvatron

Optimus killed Galvatron and I enjoyed this development, even though I do not agree with the action itself. Reasons: He did not kill for the same reason as in the movie. Let's first say I do think whatever entity in his mind might be at play, but that can't be all of it. Optimus had tried to kill Galvatron at least twice before. Mind you, Galvatron wasn't exactly surrendering himself at those times, but that doesn't change the fact that OP didn't have much patience for this hapless villain.

Unlike the movie tho, he killed Galvatron not because Galvatron was merciless towards others, and thus shouldn't be shown mercy (what shitty circular logic...), but because Galvatron was unable to change, and he thought killing him was the only way here. It is pragmatic, not out of judgment of value. Or at least that was what he believed was the reason.

I suspect he killed Galvatron also because of his own inability to cop with his own dark side, the side he tried very hard but couldn't get rid of. Optimus said it was about change, and I believe it, but not just in the way he framed it. I believe he was so desperate to change, he hated the part of himself that was just refusing to adapt, and he projected this feeling on Galvatron, the self-righteous warlord who he saw as would always remain a problem. Maybe exactly because his self-righteousness and arrogance reminded Optimus of himself in the past.

• Like Like x 1
  12. LordGigaIce

LordGigaIce A Chair!

World building.

How they explore religion, what may and may not be true, and how events of the past of mythologised.

13. Tailgreat

Tailgreat Active Member

I like the comic about gay robots in space a whole lot.

More seriously, Transformers MTMTE is currently my favourite comic. The world building, character development, fantastic romance, strong interactions between characters, has converted me into a pretty strong fan for a franchise I previously cared nothing for, outside of Beast Wars.

And, yeah, that it is so queer male positive is a huge deal to me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Heliblade

Heliblade Autobot Vigilante of Kaon

I love the fact that since IDW is a comic book, it's cast list is not restricted by a budget. Literally hundreds of characters could appear in an issue and it would only cost a little extra ink.

15. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love the world building and some hit or miss. I like the fact that most characters are three dimensional now. That includes minor characters that are older and new ones
    The Autobots are not always the angels and the Decepticons are not the demons both sides right or wrong in a given situation.

16. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Overlord
    Deathsaurus
    Nickle
    The Scavengers

• Like Like x 1
  17. TeleportingBob901

TeleportingBob901 Well-Known Member

I think what made me love the IDW comics is how they change your view on a character, or characters, and you have this new found appreciation for them. For better or for worse. I may be still new to an extent about the comics but they did change how I view some characters. But I'll pick one character that I don't know if anyone other than myself have thought about it. My view on Skywarp have changed ever since I wrote a character analysis about him. Yes, I said Skywarp. That lovable thug that can teleport. Ever since I wrote that piece, I have this new found appreciation for his character and I enjoyed the guy even more. I can even argue that he's more interesting than either Thundercracker or Starscream. Yeah, that's what I love about the comics for the most part.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    Everything except Livio Ramondelli's "artwork"

19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Baron Karza. Saviour of every crossover he features in by raising it from the inane slop the fanfavs of the other IDW franchises and the insipid dialogue that has become their trademark turn it into by virtue of his presence alone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

The comedy, tragedy, and political intrigue come immediately to mind as being outstanding, but at the same time I feel the pure action element is abysmal.