What do we think will happen in tf IDW post Unicron?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by ultramagnus1, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    It's all building up to Unicron stuffing the universe in his face and vomiting out a reboot, right?

If that's the route they're going, I'd like to see it be more of a soft-reboot - start a new comic off with a populated and peaceful Cybertron; full of new characters and events, with little nods and mentions of things/characters that have come before....then after setting the storyline in place, reveal that it's still the IDW-verse time skipped to 100 or so years after Unicron.

That'd allow plenty of fresh faces to be dropped in (with any returning bots that are too interesting to kill); give an opportunity to plant mysteries alluding to events over the missing years; progress the peace and repopulation of Cybertron past the repetitive cycle it's in, and provide the perfect excuse to end the shared universe - all of the non-Cybertronian characters are long since dead.

.....Or just do the usual and repeat G1 from the beginning again.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    The depowered Tailgate will defeat Unicron and teach us, that you don't need any special powers to be strong. Only courage. The next 3 issues we will see them dancing.

• Like Like x 3
  3. NoiseMaker

NoiseMaker Well-Known Member

Id personally hope for and expect nothing more than a soft reboot - keeping everything thats happened so far, and probably simplifying down to one or maybe two books, again with the odd spotlight or mini series - that format seems to hsve worked best so far.

At the moment it seems/feels that there is tooo much going on to be able to keep up with events. i think i've missed out on Revoltionaries and First Strike, and havent caught up on the Till All Are One Annual (waiting for the sale) and the other annuals?

Im enjoying both Rom and Micronauts, but as trades rather than individual issues. I only have so much cash to spend after all!

4. Splendic

Splendic bleep blorp

Ebay:
    :lol :lol :lol :puke: 

• Like Like x 2
  5. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

They will dance in hula skirts around a campfire in iacon singing coombai ya or whatever way you spell it. ;) :) 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Sheesh. Spoiler warning, Guys

• Like Like x 2
  7. Great Genesic Rayserver

Great Genesic Rayserver Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    G1 AM GOOD
    G1 AM BEST
    G1 IS KEEP FRANCHISE TOGETHER
    WITHOUT G1 THERE ARE NO SELL

8. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    Hasbro have said they have plans for the toys mapped out until 2021. IDW are helping to promote the figures, so unless they are conducive to do so, a reboot might be tricky.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Aside of an occassional toy inspired by IDW books, IDW isn't doing a lot to promote their toys. Imposed events like CW or TR are no longer that relevant since comic books stopped being packed in with toys. On the other hand... IDW often kills characters who were given Hasbro toys: Sideswipe, Mirage, Rook, Trailcutter, Galvatron, etc...

I doubt if Habsro really cares about what's with IDW books as long as they're getting the money for licence. OR as long as they can ask for making another toyline-related event. But for this they don't need to worry what's with IDW continuity.

10. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Um. The last retail Hasbro Sideswipe toy was in 2011 - 7 years ago! - and that was a Kre-O one. The last "regular" Hasbro Sideswipe was in 2008. It's been a decade since there was a CHUG Sideswipe.

11. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

He still has a point for others.

12. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

She does ;) :) 

13. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

"She"? Oh my bad.

14. Verno

Verno Beast Wars Collector

News Credits:
    I've got it. A Beast Wars-like event will occur, with a crew being tossed into the past and have to fight for their own future. But this time, the bad guys win and change the future irrevocably. The reboot is the result of the change in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Aren't you forgetting the 2012 FOC version?

16. Fanatic97

Fanatic97 Fanatic97

How about No

Sorry but no, G1 NEEDS.A.BREAK

17. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, the entire IDW Hasbro universe is such a Charlie Foxtrot, that they will either reboot every title or just allow the license to expire and move on to a new publisher. IDW may have averted the later when they fired a lot of their top brass and a couple of creators late last year because they were afraid to lose Hasbro. Hasbro really didn't have another publisher that was willing to take the license at that time, but Marvel has just had a few management changes as well.
    Their new EIC at Marvel has already announced the return of Conan the Barbarian and seems interested in the return of the Hasbro title.

Micronauts and ROM are so rooted in the Marvel Universe that there's not much IDW or any other publisher can do to make those titles work alone. As we've seen this past year's failures.

As far as Transformers specifically, I think we'll get a reboot no matter where we go. Sales are utter rubbish. Dreamwave TF was a top ten seller for two years. It took Jim Lee drawing Batman to top that first mini from DW. Now it's barely making the top 300 in sales. Reboot to maybe the next Generations line. Maybe Cyberverse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think Beast Wars era elements could be played in before a reboot. I could see Beast/Eukaris Megatron being built up to be a Big Bad in this universe. Beast Megatron VS Lost Light Megatron would be pretty fun.

19. hardlurk

hardlurk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Talisman can transform people into weird techno-organic cyborgs and cause them to travel through time and has something to do with Onyx... I smell a Beast War...

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    If that were to happen, their profits would also take a break too.

I want a Primus and Unicron story set in the Marvel continuity taking place BEFORE they trapped themselves in asteroids.

Where did they live? Who else was there? What was their culture?