What do we still "rewind"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GiganGoji, Mar 20, 2016.

1. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

Rewind and Fast Forward will likely stick around for a while, because they have become common in the vernacular, and, while "tracking" may be more accurate in digital media, the actions have the same result, thus allowing the carry-over of the terms.

Nothing unusual. Terms carry over all over the place. We still "hang up" our phones, right? Even cell phones... which we never, ever hung up. We call "shotgun" when, really the origin of that term doesn't apply (for the most part... I hope) anymore. You ever "CC"-ed someone on an email? Carbon copied. When was the last time anyone actually used carbon paper? Maybe Halloween, to put a pattern on a pumpkin.

Every car has a dashboard, but dashboards were originally just boards put on buggies to block dirt, dust, and mud when horses "dashed."

Some of the phrases/words die, but some will hang on and legitimately make no sense to future generations.

Of course, I'm old, so I hold on to some even knowing the correct current phrase. You young people make playlists, but I still make Mixtapes... even if they just go onto my MP3 player. :D 

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    DVR's are the new VCR's.

It's funny how technological progress works.

3. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    No argument here.
    Just thought it was interesting that the word "rewind" is used more elsewhere than it is in my area.

Yeah I think it'll stick around

makes me wonder why some words stick around and others don't. Like, they quit using "rewind" with some video editing software. In After Effects the "rewind button" is called 'Previous." Did a search and there's not a single use of "rewind" in there.
    But we kept the old terms "copy" and "paste"? hmmm

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  4. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

Don't blu ray players and the like have "review" and "previous" buttons instead of "rewind"? Some don't even have that. I know a great deal of remote controls have the greater/less than ("< >") arrows.

5. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

Kite string or fishing line.

6. GiganGoji

GiganGoji Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I...wow. Yes.

I came back to post that exact thing.

7. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Honestly I still hear people, including kids who've never used a VCR, use the term "tape" as a generic verb for recording something. Such as "I taped it on my phone."

8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Pr0n. People, men and women, rewind those. A lot.

Seriously though, do people use the rewind button or the skip button? Or go to scene selection instead?

Now that is a very weird thing to hear.

What do these kids really know about the hardships of "taping" something...

I remember back in 96' or something. I had to take a long bus ride and walk through a blizzard just to get more episodes of Rurouni Kenshin. I remember making sure I got the mastertapes to make copies for everyone. I think I had at least four VCRs to make a quick(er) work of taping all it's episodes.

Do people "burn" or just stream it? Also since we got chrome cast, we use the name casting instead of streaming it on to the tv. We have apple tv as well but it just doesn't have any kind of ring to it.

9. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I don't know if the terminology will be going away or not. We still use expressions that are based on wax/vinyl records, analog broadcasts, printed news media, etc.