What do think is the best IDW Transformers comics period?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by unhappybludgeon, Jul 13, 2014.

?

What is the best IDW G1 Continuity Period?

1. The Furman Period (Including the first nineteen Spotlights)

8 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. The McCarthy Period (AHM and the Drift mini)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Costa Period (Transformers Ongoing up to The Death of Optimus Prime)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Current Period: Roberts (The Death of Optimus Prime and MTMTE, plus LSOTW)

83 vote(s)
    89.2%
  5. The Current Period: Barber (Robots In Disguise)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Metzen-Dille "Period" (Autocracy, Monstrosity, and whatever the hell the 3rd one is)

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Other (Did I miss one?)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. unhappybludgeon

unhappybludgeon Decepticon

While I haven't been able to read all of the IDW G1 Comics, I a big fan of the continuity at large have enjoyed most of the issues I've read. But, I'm curious, what do you guys think is the best period thus far in the IDW G1 Continuity? Which had the best characters, storylines, and art?

2. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

Roberts brings everything together.

3. Arsenic

Arsenic Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roberts is the best. He knows how to make readers love a character.
    ...TOO good, maybe? He makes me love a character, then kill him in front of me. I haven't read them since April 2013, but I still have nightmares. (Overlord stomping me to death, mnemosurgeons cutting my head open, and so on...) I think my feeling toward Roberts is love-hate.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  4. megatronski

megatronski Mr. Low attention span

News Credits:
    The question here really should've been "What's the 2nd best IDW TF comics period", because we all know that James Roberts is absolutely going to dominate this thread. :lol 

5. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

I'm going against the favorite and go with the Furman run: the -tion series, the spotlights and maximum dinobots.

I love reading MTMTE by Roberts. The dialogue is excellent, the characters are excellent, and it's just fun to read. However, most of the time the story isn't really going anywhere. They're *almost* standalone stories or small story arcs. On a monthly basis this may not be so notable, but when reading the TPB's or reading the whole story in one go (or over a few days), I didn't notice any real progress in the story. Outside of the concept of the quest and that story isn't really going anywhere; nor do I think it was ever really meant to. I get the impression MTMTE is more about telling fun stories and writing fun characters, then it is about telling a big interwoven arc.

In a way I enjoyed reading RiD more because there was a clearly developing plot and intrigue, with every issue building on what had been revealed in the previous issue.

(Merging those two should've been TF nirvana, but Dark Cybertron I found far from enjoyable.)

Furman brought to IDW a completely new concept for the war (the infiltration protocols and the abandoned Cybertron) with a completely new scale (small scale on many planets and all co-ordinated from big space stations), an actual military structure and hierarchy to both armies (central command, division commanders, Intelligence agencies/political officers), and a reshuffling of many of the characters in new roles.

When I read Infiltration for the first time there were things I didn't like (the slow pace for example), but when the -tion series ended and I read it anew, I was stunned by the whole world building in those stories. And in the end the only thing that it brought it down for me was the inclusion of the dead Universe and the reapers. I've since read the arc a few times and enjoy it still. There's no other IDW story arc that comes close.

6. Obsidian X

Obsidian X Dork of the moon

I picked Roberts, If I could I would have picked Furman too... I really liked most of the stuff he did in the early IDW continuity.

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Furman period.

Yes, it had occasional weak moments and not-so-fortunate ideas, but to this point I don't see anything coming close to "-tion" arcs.

Plus, I like TFs on Earth interacting with humans, when it is well written and human characters are tolerable. For me keeping TFs entirely as space opera kinda waters down purpose of alt-modes, disguises and impact of TFs being alien.

As much as I like MTME, this series is more about big metal humans doing things.

8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Primacy.

Doesn't matter. The stories and characterisation are still great.

9. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

For you, maybe not.

For me? It matters.

People have different tastes. I'm not obligued to like MTME the best of all just because everyone else likes it the most.

10. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Roberts, for the characterisation and worldbuilding and intrigue.

Personally, I've never really understood the 'Transformers should be transforming' viewpoint (though I'm not going to tell anyone not to feel that way). I guess I feel like characters should be defined by, well, their character. If we don't see them turn into a car for a few months, I'm not gonna get cut up about it...

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

It's not about transforming and turning into cars.

It's about exposing their alien traits and clash alien-human.
    Viewed through human eyes they are more interesting in this department. Furman did very well at building initial paranoia "zomg, aliens, huge and aggressive - and they can be everywhere".

Now, the same alien amongst other aliens no longer comes as strong.

MTME's fine and well written, but on the very basic level what differs it from Star Trek series?

But I don't think MTME is a bad series. It's a very good one, it's just that IDW TFverse could use one of their ongoings devoted to Earth for the sake of the balance (and various fans).

12. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Very close between Furman and MTMTE. Art wise, Milne is second to EJ (and surpasses him frequently, but I have a soft spot for the art of the Ations). Story wise, I may have to say MTMTE because it combines story, world building and character development whilst Furman didn't do as much for the latter.

And a special mention to AHM for some great moments, but not comparable being conceived as a 12 parter, not an ongoing.

13. Death's Head

Death's Head Freelance Agent

James has done more to expose us to Cybertronian history and culture then pretty much any other writer on the franchise - conjux endurae, spark-types, Forged versus Constructed Cold, the Decepticon movement, the Guiding Hand, Shadowplay...well, I could go on.

That he manages this while folding it all into a complex plot where everything is interlinked, gives us characterisation with a depth not normally explored in Transformers and manages to make the comic genuinely laugh-out-loud funny is just the icing on this particularly moist cake.

14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Forged/Constructed cold - racism/segregation
    Decepticons - Nazi/Commies
    Shadowplay - indoctrination and hypnosis

These are all very cool and well written ideas, but nothing unheard of amongst humans.
    They don't exactly accent TFs more alien side, but rather they do make them more humanlike by accenting similarities.
    But it's hard to accent differences between TFs and fleshlings with no fleshlings to compare.

For now continuity is slightly skewed towards the space opera but has little to offer for fans of the older continuities. I hope current RiD Earth story arc will develop nicely and will last for a while.

There is the place for stories about humans interacting with TFs, provided they'd be well written stories.

15. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

I'll go with the Furman era, but it's close between that and MTMTE. I think Furman introduced a bunch of really interesting concepts and was taking the stories in a neat direction. He was trying to do something unique and different from the previous iterations of G1 and not just rehashing his previous work or other media. The only major flaw was the rushed ending, but that was IDW's doing and not Furman's. The artwork also wasn't my favorite.

MTMTE is enjoyable and Roberts has excelled at universe- and character-building, while still keeping things fun. The art is also excellent and perfectly fits the tone of the book. However, I have a lot of minor nitpicks (and one major one), plus enough things that bug me about the series to keep it from being my absolute favorite. It'll depend how Roberts pays off everything he's set up.

That's my main problem with MTMTE: In roughly two years, there has been basically zero progression on what was supposed to be the main plot (ie - "find the Knights of Cybertron"). Given that they lost their map and now have to go find Thunderclash to get back on track (which also doesn't appear to be happening any time soon), they're even further behind than at the start of MTMTE #1. Not to mention plot points like the Scavengers and the DJD, which have also seen no progress whatsoever. RiD also meandered a bit prior to Dark Cybertron, but they at least dealt with their main plot point (ie - "who will rule Cybertron").

Roberts has done wonders for characterization and world-building but, now that we know the cast fairly well, I'd like to see more emphasis on moving the plot(s) along and less of the crew just 'hanging out' and being witty. Especially since Roberts is by no means guaranteed to have as much time as he wants/needs to tell his story and I'd hate to see a rush ending like with Furman's era.

16. gregles

gregles quintesson

I love the well thought out bits of the early furman run as much as the next fan but lets not get carried away here, when it did go all epic space opera it belly flopped hard into bland mystical territory. The votes really are reflecting the quality level.

As for nothing happening. We have had sabotage, sparkeaters, plague ridden planets, rouge prison wardens, secret origins of one of transformers most significant of characters, rouge phase 6er and a guilt ridden judge to deal with. not to mention alt-mode parties gotta love those.

17. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do I have to choose?

18. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

And those have all been very interesting side-quests...but very little has happened in regards to the main plot progressing.

19. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Actually, they kind of finished the first earmark on their quest, but not in the way that they expected it to happen. If you'll remember, it was mentioned their first goal was connect with the Circle of Light and get what they could from Dai Atlas to help them on their path. They went where the Circle originally was, found it overrun, THOUGHT it was Decepticons and went after the closest group available (Hun-grr's crew). After that happened, they got dragged into the Tyrest deal, and found out what happened to the Circle of Light itself, even though Dai Atlas was killed before he could pass on any knowledge.

From the checklist it was:
    Connect with the Circle of Light
    Find the Knights of Cybertron
    Pick up any waifs and strays they might find along the way.

By that list, the first has been reached, and the third being done as we go along.

20. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    They also kind of did sort of-kind of reach Cyberutopia. Skids momentarily did at least.