What do original G1 fans think of BayFormers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PANTSMAN1973, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    Ahhhh PISS, Whether it be G1 or Age of Extinction, can we all not just be jolly chaps and ENJOY TRANSFORMERS AS A WHOLE?

I was 9 when I saw TF1, after that I had a craze. I watched, ALL G1 episodes and the movie EPIC. Wasn't really interested in the Cybertron series. BW absolutely no desire to watch 'beasts'. The movies though, love 'em. I love all Transformers.

2. sideswipe89

sideswipe89 Beachcomber

News Credits:
    I'm a G2er as well. Watched the show and had alot of the g2 toys. Ever since then I've kept up with all the series. Beast wars/machines, RID, Unicron trilogy,animated, prime/aligned and the live action movies.

I honestly like them all. Some more than others of course, but I feel like they all add something new to the franchise. I really do appreciate anything related to transformers.

G1/G2 still remains my absolute favorite though!

3. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm 38 and have been a fan of G1 since 84 and I love the movieverse. RotF is my favorite of the trilogy.

Take that.

4. cliffjumperraj

cliffjumperraj Well-Known Member

I'm 54 today and was 24 when Transformers came out though it was later than that when I saw it as it took longer to get things on Australian tv back then. I love G1 and just about everything about transformers. I have a pile of original G2 toys I bought in the early nineties. Yes I'm one of those who never grew up, and I don't care. I enjoyed the movies, having seen them all for the first time early last year on a 3 in one dvd pack. Being a big fan of Linkin Park helped too... I am not a big fan of Prime of course, killing Cliffy off, turned me right off, though I have seen a few scenes when my son had them on and kinda liked Knockout... The Japanese episode grate a little as do some of the kid characters in Armarda and Energon, I haven;t seen cybertron yet but its just come out on DVD here and I hope to buy it at some point, if I can stop buying so many toys I'm past 250 now and climbing. So yes as a big G1 fan, I enjoyed the movies. I don't take any of it too seriously, I just want more tranformers. I've read where people don't want any more than what there is now, but I want more, as many as was in G1. I hate losing Jazz, Ironhide and Ratchet, hell I even miss Starscream. (I only hate him in Prime) otherwise he was my favorite 'con. I want to see AoE again, but time and money are keeping me away at the moment. I'd love to see it tonight, but... and it's winter here and bloody cold.

5. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    :lol 

6. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Well-Known Member

I'm 43 and will always be a big G1 fan. But I've learned not to let G1 not be the measure that I compare all the other incarnations with. All of them have their own merits and downfalls.
    I've been very hard on Bays first three films. There were some elements in them that I liked, but I feel they fail giving the franchise what it deserves.
    Having said that, AOE is a step in the right direction for the Bayverse. It has its flaws, but it ends up being close to what a transformers film should be. I'm hopeful for the next film.

7. deathzero23

deathzero23 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i'm 30 and was seeing G1 here in my country aired between '88 to '89. Yeah some countries aired G1 kinda late. But the tv station who got the airing rights never finished G1. When I was in my teens, our cable tv got this Star TV India channel. It aired G1 at 9AM every morning from Season 1 to 4. And it aired Japan TF Headmasters at 6AM.

I don't hate Bayformers.
    I just treat these as another TF universe and I don't even try to connect it to G1 too much in every aspect of detail that if something has been missed out, I'll cry and moan and act like kid brat. Yes Bayformers have some G1 references but not to the extent like, "This should like in G1 100% coz if not, my childhood will be destroyed forever".

I mean.. Childhood? Ruin Forever? Raped? WTF. Come on. Some peeps needs to grow up and stop treating it like a Sacred Cow, Holy Cow. It's too much extremes. Yes we will always love G1 as it is. And will always be highly regarded.

But at this day and age, peeps who grew up with G1 needs to get out of that G1 isolation box and start appreciating things like.. Bayformers or other iterations of their beloved old school Transformers. Yeah, considering most G1 fans are now in their 30's and 40's are grown up (some have kids of their own, have jobs, other life than TFs), we (yeah me too included) should act like open minded mature adults that still enjoy or even appreciate every TF shown to us, new toys, toons and movies.

We should be role models to younger TF fans of today as we introduced them to the fandom.

Love or Hate the latest film, respect should always be present. Cursing every TF not loyal to G1 is kinda pathetic. I still respect those who still hold hate coz it's their opinion.

8. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Turning 34 next month, and I have more Tranformers now than my childhood.

I highly enjoy the movies, in fact, I watched DOTM the other night. Hell, I enjoy the shit out of all MB's movies (The Island is probably my favorite), but there is one thing about the TF movies I will not bury my head in the sand about; they're terrible films.

And that's the distinction I make here. They're entertaining movies, but terrible films. As a lifelong fan, I can live with that. However, once MB's time is done, I want to the cinematic representation of the brand grow beyond "giant fucking robots smashing the shit out of each other."

Until then though, I'll continue to watch the Bay movies, support them, and enjoy them for what they are. AOE is my favorite btw.

9. kaos

kaos the original thirteen

i dont like or dislike them..i tolerate them as they are transformers related..do i hate them?...not at all, but something seems off when i watch them...

the toys i absolutely hate though..

10. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The movies are great. I find most of the old G1 cartoons unwatchable now. I have nothing but fond memories of the old days and it's amazing to see the old toys and how they look nothing like what I had in my head back in the day.

11. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm turning 39 this year, and I grew up with the originals...
    I would have to say that I enjoy being immersed in the mythos, no matter the medium, and anything that draws in new fans to my hobby is a good thing.
    Do I LOVE everything about the new renditions of Transformers? No...but I can find things about all versions of the Transformers that I'm able to nit pick about.
    Honestly, I'm all in, so I like to embrace everything that is new to the brand...
    If there was a 90 minute movie of Transformers throwing poop at a wall, I'd probably go see it at least once.

12. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax You know what happens to Messiahs, don't you?

News Credits:
    I'm 33. I do not find G1 to be very appealing, but I respect it for it's roots factor. I love the Bayverse, but I love Beast Wars more, as I would say that's what I "grew up on" more.

13. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    My wife and I both agree that Bayformers are by and large crap. We find the movies to be mildly amusing movies about robots named after our favorite Transformer characters :D 

14. ryu hayabusha

ryu hayabusha Well-Known Member

i think they are great, you cant have everything the same all of the time, change is good!!

15. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm so ancient I remember when they were running ads for a new channel that was going to play music videos all day and all night called MTV.

I guess my feelings are best summed up with the word disappointment. They aren't the worst films I've ever seen but I never have a desire to see any of them a second time. The designs just don't appeal to me at all. I don't connect to the robots like I would characters in other films. And when it seems like a golden age of movie villains in other franchisees the Decepticons just don't cut it as worthy film villains.

Which is not to say that I don't roll with change. Beast Wars, Animated, and Prime were all great cartoons. I love the new Ninja Turtles cartoon. Avatar the Last Airbender beats the heck out of the cartoons I watched as a kid.

But all change isn't good change and the production team just can't seem how to give me what I want when it comes to the live action films. I don't want everything to stay exactly like in the past, but when you go changing things around then make it a change for the better not a change for the worse.

16. Ring3r

Ring3r 5.0

30 year old that grew up on G1 VHS tapes, reprints of the entire G1 comic run, and the original toyline here.

I like, not love, the new films. The first three were all fun, but had some serious issues with the humor. RotF fucked the continuity in the ear.

I thought AoE was EASILY the best of the bunch, with the best villian, best story, best characterization, best humor, and best pacing. It was exciting throughout and I liked the human cast.

It still should have given at least a LITTLE more explanation about the Dinobots, but you can still piece things together if you pay close attention to all the dialog, especially during the action scenes.

That said, the movieverse story, action, execution, and visuals are, IMHO, a very large step above G1.

I'm one of those people who really only liked the first season of G1 and think that it turned to junk after that. There's a lot more wrong with G1 than the movieverse - it's just that there's so much to pick and choose from in G1 that people generally just go with the parts they liked and pretend the rest didn't happen.

But yeah. I grew up renting VHS tapes of the entire G1 cartoon every weekend, reading the entire G1 comic run through reprints at the local library, etc. It was the defining "thing" from my entire childhood.

17. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

There is so much wrong with all the serials, and the movies, that if i chose to concentrate on the negative parts, i could write a phd on the wrongs of the franchise. And so could everyone else.
    But then i wouldn't be able to enjoy any of it. Well i wouldn't even be able to have my marathons, and the wife wouldn't laugh at me when i have.

I liked AOE so much, that i actually didn't get annoyed by the many flaws in the movie.
    Even the slow pace of it didn't bother me.
    The only thing it really lacked is a word or two from the dinobots, even if it was on cybertronian.

18. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

Grew up on G1 and it will always be my favourite. That being said I still love the modern movies because they're Transformers, they're entertaining and there are still some solid toys that have come out of it.

I'm a fan of Transformers as a whole and there are bits of each generation or interpretation that I like, and others I dislike. I'm just happy that after all this time it's still a relevant franchise and I'm able to continue collecting, watching and reading new Transformers material.

19. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

I like them - out of all of the series, it's probably closest to G1 in terms of setting, aesthetics etc.

Story telling, continuity, plot holes etc could be handled better - but when I first saw bumblebee transform in TF1, it was like a childhood dream come true.

20. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

My uncle had a green beetle. And i loved that car.
    Bumblebee and herbie's success was mostly down to the car.