What do original G1 fans think of BayFormers?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PANTSMAN1973, Jul 7, 2014.

1. PANTSMAN1973

PANTSMAN1973 Well-Known Member

You know who you are. Predominantly mid 30's to early 40's. Does anybody that loves these movies hail from this era of The Transformers? If you do, why do you love these films? If you don't like these films, again why?

Is there anybody out there who won't watch these films out of principle? Or are you like me, suffering from an itch that you just have to scratch?

Is there a divide between old fans and new fans? Where is it that this divide starts?

I'd be very interested to know........................

2. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

what about a 25 year old that grew up on old tapes and G2 reruns do i get a say?

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    INB4 Muh Childhood.

4. demonoid111

demonoid111 Destron

I love Bayformers.

5. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh boy...

I'll just say this: I love Transformers. Every version I have sat down and watched, I have adored. I started with G1 when it originally aired. Just turned 33 a couple weeks ago.

6. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

No. G1 only.

I hated them at the start, but grew to like them.
    Well today i spent almost 3 hours of my life eating popcorn and getting entertained.

7. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Boom! Michael Bay! Explosion! :bay  :bay  :bay 

I love 'em.

8. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

G2 was just G1 with a new opening and Scene transitions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUuisPT3wcI

9. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

you surely got me there :) 

10. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Oh boy, here comes the rage comments!

Everyone take cover! They're swooping in on their Predacons screaming "G1 for life" "bay raped my childhood" "you stupid moron monkeys, g1 Is the only transformers!" "I'd rather eat poo than watch bayformers" "I will kill bay" "bayfans have an IQ of 2 heuheuheu" "trololol" "g1 is number 1" "g1 is kewl"

Sorry....I got carried away haha

11. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    LMFAO,MAN!:lolol 

12. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

Shouldn't the original g1's act a little bit more like, ahem adults? :) 

13. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Believe me... Not all G1 fans act like "adults"! I'm just basing that post off experiences

14. CKPRIME

CKPRIME Banned

News Credits:
    No, they watch an old cartoon and probably collect action figures. They are giant manchildren!

15. Jerrymiru

Jerrymiru TF Ninja

Seems a little that way from what I've seen lately. I think AOE has really stured things up a little bit. :poke 

36 myself and have loved G1 from the start. Even remember seeing the cartoon movie in the theaters too. But then took a long break until the first Bay movie came out and liked it for what it was. Some parts not so much but liked it for the most part. And really, got me back into TFs. So yeah, I like some of them.

16. Crazy Jetty

Crazy Jetty Reserve Food Supply

Been collecting TFs since they first came out in '84, when I was four.

So far, the only eras I don't like are the Movie and Aligned continuities.
    But that comes down to very poor writing (movies), and bland writing with uninspired concepts (prime/cybertron games).

My dislike of the movies comes from many of the choices made. Specifically the crude and inappropriate humor, the complete lack of characterization for any robot that isn't based on a crude joke (twins, wheelie), and how underwhelming the villains have been, vs how over the top Optimus is.
    I ate it up at first. Despite having a dislike of the stylistic choices made, I enjoyed the surrounding fiction building up to the first movie.
    I also enjoyed the first movie mostly for what it was, and really liked most of the characters as interesting. It wasn't until ROTF that I realized everything I liked about the first movie I had overlaid on top of it from the surrounding fiction of before and after. None of what I enjoyed was actually present in the actual film.
    On top of that, ROTF made such a trainwreck of the continuity, and only built on top of the things I found questionable and tasteless from the first one, that it pretty much destroyed any enjoyment I got from this continuity.
    DotM did one even worse by the crime of being completely unmemorable.
    I watched it once in theaters then again on dvd before I went to see AoE. I'd forgotten ironhide was killed, and even that Shockwave existed. I forgot Simmons was in it, and that there was a lackluster human toady villain.

AoE though... AoE went a long way in fixing most of the problems I had with the first three.
    It's the first bit of TF fiction I've enjoyed since Animated ended and Furman was kicked out of IDW.

17. verozilla

verozilla Custom User Title

I'm about to turn 31, and I feel the same way. However!!! I would have some minor "AWWW MANNNNN" moments by getting excited with the few minutes of buildup from Autobot/Decepticon screen time just to switch over to another 10 minutes of people.

18. Silvershot

Silvershot On The Double Dutch Bus

News Credits:
    I started with G1 in '84 at age 8. Loved it! Have loved Transformers ever since. I have seen every Bay movie, and while I can see certain faults, I love them all. I've seen each one many times in the theater, and dozens of times at home (my kids love them, too). I can't really put my finger on it, but I really love this Optimus Prime. Prime was my childhood hero, and if this Prime becomes my kids' hero, I'd wouldn't be disappointed.

You may not like the movies, and you have every right to - and whatever your reason is, that's your business. As an OG Geewunner, I love these films - and will probably see AOE again tonight or tomorrow night.

19. JayEm

JayEm オートボットさん

Right? (Except im 23)

20. Arduous

Arduous Megatron Rules All TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    30's to early 40's. --- I am in this range...

To answer your question.... not sure I would say I Love the movies, but I do enjoy them --

I had mixed emotions when seeing the 07 movie.....Did not go see ROTF or DOTM In theaters, I think a lot of that was due to my mixed emotions with the first movie. - still fell in love with and picked up the toys-

After getting all three films on DVD I started to enjoy them for what they were.... I did go to the theater to see AOE.

How I would rate the movies best to worse
    1) AOE - was great
    2) ROTF - good movie - my Fav of the first 3 movies..... It has my favorite version MEGATRON... And that scene where MEGS KILLS Optimus. EPIC
    3) DOTM- good movie
    4) 07 movie- I think It is the weakest of all the movies...

Now to the G1 cartoon... When I was a tween I loved the G1 cartoons, today I cannot sit through 5 min of any episode.... But I do LOVE the 86 movie and watch that all the time....

Side note
    - loved Animated and Prime.
    - never really watched anything between the 86 movie and the 07 movie...but I liked some of the toys.