What didn't you like in your favorite TF show?

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, May 20, 2019.

1. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

I actually kind of liked this. When you have small casts death is always treated like this big grand thing that happens with all the time in the world to have high-stakes dramatic send-offs. But I liked that for once in Transformers history a couple of characters bought it out of absolutely nowhere with no build-up and no big dramatic death scene. It fits that it was a war and at the time a disaster was happening and that sometimes random terrible things are going to occur.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You make a good point. Can’t really argue with that.
    Just my personal preference. I would’ve liked a little something more for them.

3. Mega scream

Mega scream Tyrannical Freedom Fighter

Rhinox farting in BW
    Optimus' lips in TFA
    Sentinel's chin in TFA
    All those loose plot threads in TFP
    All those bull episodes of G1

4. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    Bruh, not liking Sentinel’s chin?

5. Wild Eevee

Wild Eevee Well-Known Member

That they refuse to release Rescue Bots full seasons on DVD but insist on just putting five random episode DVDs.And they must be randomly chosen because while looking at some at the library I notice that they had put the episode The New Recruits on one DVD but put the next two parts of this trilogy on a different DVD.Why?

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I wish the Dinobots were handled a little better in TFA. Their debut episode was good, but after that they became the guard dogs for damn near anyone who tricked/influenced/seduced/intimidated them (but screw off if a good guy wanted their help).

(I was OK with the short-lived Scrapper/Snarl friendship though)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Animated Sentinel isn't a good guy, or a good guy.

They were grooming him up for a power corrupts absolutely fall from grace.

Oh yeah, and he's RACIST. Speciest? Technosupremacist?

Don't you guys remember when he saw Blackarachnia he says something along the lines, in an ice cold tone with almost no emotion except for subtle streaks of profound contempt.

"It's worse than anything I could have imagined. You should have went offline."

Now really digest that line. He's literally got the same view of organic life as Megatron or DOTM Sentinel. He's so hateful of one of the two (3 if you count pure energy beings) ways ALL LIFE IN THE UNIVERSE can come to be that he sees an old lover that he's been mourning for centuries and without missing a beat declares it a moral fact that she should have JUST FUCKING DIED.

If you can't take that single moment to be a representation of lawful evil, representative of his nature in the core of his spark, you might have your own demons to confront.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Blam320

Blam320 Assembly Inventor

News Credits:
    So, is this something you didn't like? 'Cause if so really?

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Oh I was following up on the discussion a little above me about whether or not Sentinel Prime had any redeeming qualities.

Animated isn't my fave Beast Wars is, and I wish Season 3 had been just a smidge tighter. It's not even the content or characters I don't like, it's just the fast and loose logic that would have been more reasonably technobabbled and extrapolated in s1 or 2 and Beast Machines. That S1 type writing between Season 2, coming off the agenda, before Beast Machines (which is crazy well written) is a bit of a buzzkill.

10. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    Possibly, but we don't really get a lot of world building from this angle. For all we know, every other organic thing that the TFA Transformers ever met were hostile and capable of and/or attempted destroying their entire race. In that context, Sentinel's paranoia may be warranted. Imagine if your loved one showed up at your house long after you thought they were dead, bonded on a molecular level with a hideous man eating parasite. There are more than a few horror movie tropes that end up with the "live" loved one killing the other as a mercy.

Sentinel was a turd, no doubt, with few if any redeeming qualities but I wouldn't hold his "species-ism" against him without additional context.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

The problem with that argument is that we never, to my knowledge, saw anything that suggested the fear of organics had any other reason than ignorance. Nothing is mentioned in the show or in its almanacs. If anything, the fear seem reinforced by a lack of contact with organic lifeforms because if there had been some war, it'd likely have been brought up by the Earth team and/or they'll have taken precautions when first interacting with Sari and explained why to her.

If (general) you want to mount a defense for Sentinel's attitude towards organics, I think a better argument would be what happened to Elita-1 on Archa Seven (not as an excuse but as an explanation) since that involved him directly losing someone he cared about to organics and was something he never got over.

Of course, that is negated by how he reacts to her turning out to be alive but you could make the argument that it wasn't a case of his old friend returning mutated but otherwise the same but his old friend returning and acting like a different (evil) person. However, that is an argument hurt by how he doesn't seem to know about Blackarachnia so there's less chance of him knowing about her crimes and the fact that he says "It'd have been better if you'd gone offline." before he learns of what she's done to Waspinator. The argument still has some ground to stand on but all the negaters are why I'm not convinced he'd have acted any or much better if she had been just mutant Elita-1.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

So he's a chode chungus deluxe not fit for command, or the time of day of any decent sapient entity. Yeah?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

He's got reasons, but they excuse nothing.

For example, he's angry at Optimus for leaving Elita-1 behind on Archa Seven so there's a reason for the way he treats him, but he disavows his own culpability for what happened and pushes all the blame onto Optimus. He did this to emancipate himself from his own guilt and so as to not lose his own rank. Basically, he's made up his own reality in which he's guilt-free and doesn't have to face the consequences for his actions that got one of his best friends killed. It'd be different if he blamed himself as well because then it wouldn't be self-serving.

Furthermore, we see that he's unpleasant towards everyone so even if he's got a reason for being upset at specifically Optimus, he would in all likelihood have treated him like shit even if they were still friends.

It also works to highlight the difference between him and Optimus and why the latter develops into a good leader while the former goes the opposite way.

To put it differently, Sentinel's just an asshole and that's why the show likes to humiliate him. It knows he's an asshole and it's knows his reasons don't excuse anything. Steven Universe could learn a lot from it.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

Right. The people implying his ignorance of the bigger picture always right in front of his face EXCUSES his corrupted ways really intrigue me. I wonder what they let humans get away with on this Earth in the same vein. Dig it?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

There's also a difference between being an ignorant racist and being an antagonistic racist (btw both are bad). The organic phobia is normalized on Cybertron as seems implied by how everyone reacts to Fanzone when he "visits" the planet.

Jazz is ignorant of organics due to Cybertronian's ignorance of organics but he becomes afraid of organics because of Sentinel Prime. When he first meets Sari, he is spooked by her due to Sentinel's fear-mongering but he overcomes it by learning.

Sentinel, on the other hand, is willfully ignorant - he choses not to learn - and is hateful of organics. The latter is very evident when he meets Blackarachnia because rather than emphasis the horror of what she's done, he instead emphasizes his disgust at how she's become part organic. Slivers of what she's done appears in his dialogue but it's obvious what matters more to him.

Sentinel Prime's hate towards organic lifeforms comes from what happened on Aracha Seven - he mentions having had a bad experience with organics before and it's obvious what experience he is referring to - and because of what those organics did, he believes nothing good can come from interacting with any organics.

Due to forum rules I'm going to avoid using human examples and instead compare him to someone who has been attacked by a feral dog and has decided that all dogs of that breed are bad news. Actually, he's more like someone who lost a loved one to wolves while in the wilds and has now decided that all canines - including domesticated dogs and foxes - are creatures that no one should interact with because they must all be as dangerous as wolves.

Sure, he's got a reason for his hate but it's a shit reason that only exists because he refuses to educate himself and he spreads his willful ignorance to others thus creating more unnecessary fear.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

In Transformers Prime I hated how Bulkhead went from the likable underdog in Animated to generic tough bot with an annoying voice. I hated him more when I heard he replaced Ironhide in the show.

I also hated Starscream's design, Megatron's skull face, the Insecticons and that stupid warcry and the main theme song.

In Beast Wars, I hated Rattrap's design and grating voice. I also thought Dinobot's voice was corny as hell.
    I didn't like Waspinator and Silverbolt having animalistic heads in robot mode or the cats' cat like faces in robot mode.

I hated seeing Terrorsaur and Scorponok die while that one dimensional thug Quickstrike joined the cast with another annoying voice.

I also hated the theme tune.

In Animated, I hated the human villains. They were like something out of 60's Batman.
    I also hated Soundwave's origin and his voice was crap.

Robots in Disguise.

I hated Sideswipe's 'hair' though I liked him as a character. I really hated the ridiculously stupid Grimlock and Drift with his beard and samurai cosplay.

Overall, I liked those shows but those were main misgivings about each.

17. CryptiniteDemon

CryptiniteDemon Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Beast Wars. We had to lose Terrorsaur and were given Quickstrike. W. T. F.

18. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Banned

To be fair, Terrorsaur was just a beastie Starscream and Scorponok was just a generic loyal goon with some chutzpah.

They were swept aside mostly so Tarantulas could fill all the treachery roles and Inferno could do his 'my queen' routine. An understandable but mixed results choice. I did find Terrorsaur to be quite likable and a worthy Starscream successor who's 'biggest moment' came a bit early. I wish he had more of an 'Underbase' type send off.