What did your (non-TF fan) family/friends think of AOE?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought this would be a neat little topic to discuss. I think we as hardcore and very knowledgeable fans possibly read a lot deeper into these movies than the average moviegoer. Not to say everyone's family/friends are the average moviegoer, but I think it's fair to say that they're not as knowledgeable or invested in Transformers as someone who posts on these boards, even if they are very interested in and enjoy the movie itself.

So, kind of to get an "outside-looking-in" perspective, does anyone have any stories to share of friends and/or family's reaction to the movie?

My first viewing was with two friends, one who was a huge fan of the TF movies and had seen the previous three with me. So he knew all returning characters, and easily picked up on the names of the new ones. The other didn't see the previous ones, and kind of just watched stoically the whole time. He laughed at a couple of the cheesy one liners and actions, such as Cade's slo-mo ground punch.

Second time around was with my dad, my uncle, and my cousin. My dad had seen the previous three, and generally liked them all, he's a big fan of the robot action. Funny enough, when Shane's car pulled up, he thought it was going to be one of the "black guys" (Twins), yet he did not at all recognize Ratchet (he confusedly asked me, "who was that?"). He liked Hound very much, and in general laughed mostly at Hound and Joshua Joyce's bits.

My uncle also liked the previous three movies, and I think pays a little more attention even if he's nota TF fan. He picked up on most of the names of the characters, and laughed at a lot of the robot dialogue. Most specifically, I remember him getting a big kick out of Crosshairs' line about Optimus' leadership at the end, and generally laughing at most of what Crosshairs said.

So that's my story! Anyone else want to share?

2. primal789

primal789 Prime

News Credits:
    I was with my mom,dad and uncle.All of them enjoyed the movie.My dad said Mark is way better than Shia in the first 3.All of them laughed at pretty much every comedic scene,I was thrilled that even Prime has one lol.

3. agent j 15

agent j 15 My Girlfriend's Husband Fights For Your Freedom

Only saw it twice-once with a friend, other with a date. I was a bit too busy publicly groping my date to ask her feelings on it, but she seemed to enjoy it. My buddy on the other hand...he mostly was just sort of there the whole time, everyone in the theater was pretty indifferent. However, ANYTIME Lockdown came on screen he just lit up with joy-most people seemed to think Lockdown was pretty damn cool, actually.

4. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    On my midnight showing, I went with my dad (who always goes with me) and my best friend. She was looking forward to it and was loving it at first. When the credits started rolling, she said she had no clue what happened and if someone asked her what Transformers was about, she wouldn't be able to tell them. It pissed me off a little, but, eh, I got over it. We're still going to see TMNT and Guardians with each other.

My dad thoroughly enjoyed the movie and connected with Hound a lot for some reason. At first, he was skeptical because he didn't like how they got rid of Shia, Rosie, Josh, and everyone else. I tried to tell him that it's about the Transformers, hence the name, but he still felt 'meh' about it.

On my fourth showing, for my birthday, I got my mother and grandmother to come out and see it. It was the first Transformers movie my grandma saw in theaters, so it was special for her. My grandma loved how much more screen time the Transformers received and even asked me during the rescue sequence on the Knight Ship, "Why can't they be onscreen more?". She was rooting and cheering for Optimus, since she loves him.

When he rescued Cade and friends from Cemetery Wind at the farm, she was ecstatic. However, when Lockdown captured him and Tessa, she got pissed. She even said "Who the hell does he think he is?" when he ordered Tessa to be taken to the trash. The Dinobots just blew her mind; she really wanted to see more of them.

My mom fell asleep on some parts (as she does with a lot of movies), but was awake for the rest of the time when the Dinobots started charging.

On the seventh showing, I took my cousin. She loves the movies, so, she really wanted to go. She even saw some of her friends from school at the showing. She laughed at every comedic scene and loved Bumblebee (or Flight of the Bumblebee, as she loves to say). When the movie finished and we went outside the theater, I asked her what she thought. She replied "It was fire.", meaning really good.

So, yeah, my family loved it, but my friends have been more hesitant.

Damn, this was a long post.

5. Megatron118

Megatron118 Excelsior! Moderator

News Credits:
    I went to see it with my dad – who has seen the previous three – and he enjoyed it. He wasn't ecstatic like I was, but for someone who's not really into TFs beyond the movies, it was time well spent. He did share my opinion on it's length though.

He actually wasn't very disconcerted when Ratchet was killed. That bothered me a little. Especially after he saw him in three other movies. Idk, maybe he'd forgotten the character by the time we watched AOE. He loved when Lockdown transformed into a Lambo, as well as Hound. No laughter or anything, but I could see a smile or two on his face when he popped up on screen. Telling him John Goodman voiced him helped

6. Ultra saber

Ultra saber WRECK AND RULE

News Credits:
    I've been twice
    First time with my Mom and my sister, My sister hated it(she is a movie critic)
    My mom thought it was the loudest experience of her life !, she liked Stanley tucci

Second time was with my two best friends, one is a hard-core TF fan and he really liked it
    My other friend who is not as much of a TF fan, liked it as well, his eyes lit up every time he saw the Bugatti !

7. ArtistOfWar59

ArtistOfWar59 Stunticon

I watched with three friends. I went into the movie as the superfan, watching all of the previous movies and knowing about the recurring characters and basically knew half of the plot going in. Oops. Then my first friend had watched the previous movies as well, not as much into it as I was though. He despised RotF, but enjoyed DotM. Then my other two friends had no experience with Transformers at all, so this was their first time watching anything TF related. Strangely enough, we all came out loving the movie. In fact, we all loved it so much that we all wanna watch Ninja Turtles together simply because of Micheal Bay. My first friend enjoyed it the least out of all us, because he had watched Jeremy Jahns' review (ugh) before watching the movie, so he had some negative thoughts and preconceptions of the movie. He said he probably would've enjoyed it better had he not watched it. One of the two who had not watched any of the other movies said he saw a little bit of himself in Hound. XD

8. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I have to add one more funny anecdote myself:

I had a nerdy/stuffy friend who considers himself an Ebert-esque film connoisseur and critic, and only gives a damn about Oscar movies for the most part and is often critical of blockbuster types. During our freshman year of college some friends and I made him sit down and watch the first Transformers film (which all of us thought was awesome) with us. And, he fell asleep during the final battle. So deep of a sleep that we had to wake him up with an air horn. I understand that some people don't care for action movies like Transformers, but I have no idea how in the world you could fall asleep during TF07's final battle.

9. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    My wife was rather confused by it, she felt the movie was disjointed & too long.

Whereas my daughter is true fangirl, she loved AOE very very much. Kept pestering me to buy the DVD once it's released.

10. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

My dad and the Black lady two seats over seemed to LOVE it.
    2 of my Co-Workers also enjoyed it.
    My stepfather said he enjoyed it as well.
    Pretty much everyone I've come across that saw Transformers: Age of Extinction loves it.
    Hell, my Half-Brother seems to love my re-enactments of the scenes with my Transformers figures.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  11. MV95

MV95 @marlinfan1995 Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Went on opening night with some friends that enjoyed the first three movies. They all really liked this one.

Went again with my parents. My dad liked the first three and enjoys most action films while my mom only liked the first one. Both really liked AOE. My mom got a little confused identifying the good/bad transformers so I had to explain that all the ones that met in the desert, Ratchet (and Leadfoot) and the dinosaurs were the only good guys. She loved Hound. Oh and my dad got a good laugh out of the Kung fu elevator guy haha

12. 14thPrime

14thPrime Well-Known Member

I went with my brother who's never a fan of TF movies at all. He loved the first TF because of Megan Fox mostly.

The first time we watched it he said he didn't like it but said the action scenes were great.

Surprisingly when I went to see it the second time he wanted to come along. He still insisted that the story was crap but the movie probably had the best action of all the summer movies he'd seen.

13. grindcore138

grindcore138 桐生会は不滅なり!

News Credits:
    Only seen it once, and went with one of my friends. He's a regular guy really, enjoys the Bay movies for the mindless fun they are, no more, no less.
    Our reactions to it were basically the same; Just another Transformers movie.
    When another of our friends asked how it was his exact words were "Best action of all 4, but the rest of it is dog shit just like any other Transformers. Story is poo. It's pure cheese, but the action blows your dick off" Haha.

14. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

My friends enjoyed it a lot!

15. Porkulus

Porkulus Too Many Hobbies

YouTube:
    The friend I brought along found it "meh" as he did the other three.

16. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

I asked my daughter and she doesn't wanna see it!

17. Shadow297

Shadow297 Member

My dad found this the best movie in the series.
    But my friends found it good but not great.
    I found this movie the best of the francise.

18. 14thPrime

14thPrime Well-Known Member

What a cool grandma you have! I love her already.:D 

19. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Offensively Off-brand

These are fantastic anecdotes that.... unfortunately mean very little. :( 

I think you guys should ask for a 1-5 (or 1-10) rating, in order to get some sense of what people think of the movie.

As much as I liked the fun anecdotes, I have to wonder how accurate it is to say "they enjoyed it" versus "I enjoyed it so much I think that everyone else must have, too!"

20. Ironfire1234

Ironfire1234 Active Member

my dad thought it was the best. my mom was willing to see it. just the time