What defines a Masterpiece Figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OriginalFire, May 30, 2014.

1. harveydent

harveydent Unknown Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:

[​IMG]

but seriously,

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Bumblebee_(Movie)/toys#Masterpiece

[​IMG]

2. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    Lol /\.

3. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

I see.

Anyone want a Masterpiece Cliffjumper?

[​IMG]

4. OptimushedPrune

OptimushedPrune Impressive Member

News Credits:
    :lol  Those last few posts cracked me up :lol 

5. Grimlock4523

Grimlock4523 Me Grimlock, KING!!!

6. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you're either trying to be clever, or intentionally ignorant.

you know what he meant.. i proper masterpiece figure of a character from the live action movies.. not simply a repaint of a main line figure

i'd love to see masterpiece versions of the movie characters. i'd be curious to see how much better they could do with a larger budget and being able to make toys specifically for collectors. I'd like to see dotm prime, rotf sideswipe, dotm megatron, and starscream done in masterpiece style.

there really is no need to define what a masterpiece figure is.. it's designated by takara.

7. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    No, it doesn't.

What it boils down to is that "Masterpiece" is a line of Transformers made by TakaraTomy. No one is saying that other figures cannot qualify as "masterpieces" or "Masterpiece shelf worthy."

There's a huge difference between Masterpiece, masterpiece and Masterpiece (shelf) worthy.

It only creates confusion to try to call something by a name or classification it's not.

8. SCPrime

SCPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except there is NO concrete definition. Even Takara themselves have made them pretty fluid with MP1 through 9, then movie masterpieces, and now MP10 to present. Who knows, they may change it up AGAIN.

To oversimplify, its whatever Takara calls an MP. But I think SQ7 pretty much nailed what an MP is if you really need a definition (excluding MPM).

9. Datsun87

Datsun87 Doomed shuttle casualty

The Masterpiece line is no different from any other toy line HasTak puts out, a figure simply is part of the MP line or it isn't. Whether or not you personally use the MP line as the definitive end all version of the character, a literal "masterpiece", is another thing entirely.

10. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:
    Even tho technically these are not considered Masterpieces they are basically MP's First Cousins and here is just a few of what I would call Masterpieces:

Armada Unicron cause before then for 20 years we'd been waiting and it finally happened.
    Cybertron Primus ever since G1 we kept hearing about him,and when he came out he was everything we hoped for.
    ROTF Human Alliance Jazz without a doubt a Masterpiece all his own.
    Generations Titan Class Metroplex what more needs to be said about this figure.
    And finally the absolute definition of Masterpiece is ROTF Leader Optimus Prime this figure just embodies everything I/We love about Transformers.

Now the reason these figures represent the term Masterpiece is not just because we wanted them for so long and finally got them,its a mixture of a lot of things like how advanced these figures seem to be,almost life-like yet small enough for kids and even some big kids can play with and transform,its also about the impact they made the first time you actually opened the figure and held it in your hand.

I could go on for hours talking about this but I won't,cause all it comes down to is this "Pure Deep Down Kid-at-heart thinking",and there is nothing wrong with that.Later all.

11. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Going with this definition or parameters, you can't really even consider 3rd party toys to be Transformers...

Yes, it is that simple.

So wait, I got an MP Starscream for 10 bucks?

[​IMG]

Amazing and to think I forgot about it.

[​IMG]

Sideswipe: Wait. Wait. They're THAT short..
    Tracks: What's that dude's name?
    Cliffjumper: Hahahaha "T-bone"!
    Jazz: Bwahahaha! That's not even a Gobot!

12. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ahahahahahshshahahah! What a great post which highlights the absurdity of this subject.

At the end of the day the term 'Masterpiece' has become a buying incentive as opposed to an actual quantifiable level of quality (especially now that Takara merged with Tomy). Because of the wide scope of all the stuff tagged 'Masterpiece' everyones opinion is gonna be subjective.

I think the only thing we all have in common with the word 'Masterpiece' (in this context) is it represents the best of our collections, but of course what we define as the 'best' is going to vary with everyone.

For example, I bought Alternity GTR Optimus Prime the same week as MP-12 Lambor, and the GTR is far and away the better figure (imo) and I rate him along with the majority of BT/ALTs and most of the HA line) over the new Masterpiece cars. Thats not to say I dislike the MP cars or anything, it's just my opinion is my own.

So yes, to quote Bruce Lee, we just need to be more flexible.

13. seali_me

[​IMG]

If ppl can do that then I can use this finger to flip them off? Why not.

14. Optimus Prime 3

Optimus Prime 3 Autobot Commander

Ebay:
    And everyones post is better than yours.

15. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

You're making too much sense, Datsun87!

16. usernamedustin

usernamedustin Banned

No the definition of "Masterpiece" is

mas·ter·piece
    ˈmastərˌpēs/
    noun
    a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.
    "a great literary masterpiece"
    an artist's or craftsman's best piece of work.
    "the painting is arguably Picasso's masterpiece"
    synonyms: pièce de résistance, chef-d'œuvre, masterwork, magnum opus, finest/best work, tour de force More
    historical
    a piece of work by a craftsman accepted as qualification for membership of a guild as an acknowledged master.

Leader Class Bayformer was not a part of that definition. Please don't lump the entire fandom in with your opinion by using "I/WE".

This answer is perfect for this thread. We are in the official toys forum, so 3rd party stuff isn't even a factor. The only answer to what defines a masterpiece Transformers figure is what Has/Tak puts out as Masterpiece figures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aernaroth
    It's made by Takara (or to a lesser extent, Hasbro) and says MASTERPIECE on the package. Pretty simple, really.

17. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

It's like asking what makes an Animated figure an Animated figure? What makes a Prime figure a Prime figure? You get the idea. The answer is simple, I don't see how there's any room for debate. That said, you can put whatever you like on your shelf however you like. Who cares.

18. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

When discussing them that is the only valid definition. People may consider something a masterpiece figure, but unless it was actually sold as a Transformers Masterpiece, it isn't. There are several figures I would considers Masterpiece figures (based on quality and being the best version of that character ever released) and in my collection they're treated as such, but when discussing TF's I don't refer to them as Masterpiece. Only official, while others are referenced by whatever they're name is.

Especially the bolded part. That's how feel for my personal collection.

19. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    :inquisiti  your argument is logical, thread over.

20. seali_me

How's this? by strict and utter definition of the line Masterpiece, Aernaroth's statement is true AND since we're all adults here you can put them in whatever shelf you like or call whatever these children's toys you want. Heck, you can even call them "adult collectibles" if you want instead of children's toys like any "normal" person on earth.

Which reminds me I need to dust off my FP Stuntedcons located in the wife's girly manga shelf.