What defines a Masterpiece Figure

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by OriginalFire, May 30, 2014.

1. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Iconbot's 'i need attention' post is better than yours.

2. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Give this man a medal!

3. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    Theres a very big difference between being worthy of the MP shelf and being a Masterpiece in my opinion. Using the example of the MMC stuff, it's easily on par with the MP stuff in terms of quality and engineering, but they differ greatly from the official MP line.

The greatest difference is the style. They are close to, but NOT G1 accurate. They aren't even trying to be G1 accurate though. It's not that they're missing the mark, they weren't even aiming for it at all. MMC have their own distinct aesthetic and the Feralcons fit in with that.

Being the same colour/size/general alt mode is not enough to seamlessly blend in with Takara's stuff.

Now Quakewave is a great example of a non MP Masterpiece. It feels like it's coming from the same place as the official stuff thematically and aesthetically.

I'll happily display both my MMC stuff with my official MPs but thats because I appreciate them on the same level. I don't doubt that they'd look very different if TT designed them.

4. KPhilipsen

KPhilipsen Banned

Sure, inspired by. No argument. Inspired by is a far cry from based on though.

Yes.

No problem what people do with their own collections but this thread is about objectively, not personally, defining what a masterpiece is. Two different things.

5. KPhilipsen

KPhilipsen Banned

This.

6. malware5

QFT.

7. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    If you can't have the Feralcons then you certainly can't have Quakewave. The legs alone, by your points, would rule him out as aesthetically they are very wrong and not G1 like at all. Even if it feels better than any official MP....not the same.

So in that respect I totally disagree with you but that's the beauty of opinions.

We'll have to agree to disagree again. Objectively ppl will think differently as to what qualifies even right down to whether it has a TT stamp on it or not so the community will never agree on a definition.

8. zappatton2

zappatton2 Well-Known Member

I gotta agree with this. In the past, I've often bought 3rd-party figures to beef up my MP collection, and without fail, I've ended up selling almost all of them because they just didn't quite fit esthetically. I'm going entirely for G1 animation accurate figures that scale well in bot mode. That said, I think I'm gonna really be happy with the FansToys Dinobots, more than any 3rd party I can think of, they come closest to fitting the bill.

9. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I think the difference with something like quakewaves legs is that unlike the Feralcons which are very much being their own designs, QW legs are trying to be the G1 legs changed to work with the QW transformation. The result is that their different and don't match the G1 toy or cartoon. Thing is, you have the same issue with MP Sideswipe and Prime.

So yeah, I agree that the Quakewave design isn't 100% 'accurate', but neither are pretty much any of the MP line. The difference between this and the MMC stuff is that with the FT and Takara stuff they are aiming for the original source in many respects, while MMC are clearly inspired by G1 but with their own distinct spin.

The other difference is the aesthetics of how their built. Fanstoys have obviously looked at the MP stuff and tryed to style their joints around the same MP style. With the feralcons you can see the dirrences in something as simple as the hands. Classics style hands.

Not that I think any less of them for this. They're all some of my favourite toys ever! :D 

Then again, I suppose I sadly have to say that being official TT branded stuff is the true 'Masterpiece line'. Everything else is deemed to be at best given the accolade of 'fitting in' with the MP line and being refered to as 'not-whoever'. Shame that that hurdle will always stand in the way.

10. KPhilipsen

KPhilipsen Banned

I think the easiest way to explain the difference in this case is that MP bot modes are based on the G1 cartoon not IDW comic books.

I think cartoon bot mode accuracy is an accepted principle of the MP line that everyone can agree on.

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    F*ck it, this.

Slightly broader spectre...generally speaking, a toy that has a much higher budget than others in that size class.

It doesn't have to be G1. They can release a transforming teddy bear under the Masterpiece banner and it will still be a masterpiece.

12. malware5

You're on a roll today, Scubaboy31, I was just about to point out the quakewave leg deviation was similar to the deviation in MP-12's chest, how much wider it is than it was in the cartoon, but you seem to have done all my work for me.

Bravo, Scubaboy31, bravo :thumbs2: 

13. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    It can only be considered a Masterpiece if it's been KOed.

True story.

14. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    And yet I imagine an official TT Shockwave will manage to have the long curved legs, chunkier torso and still have MP engineering. If aesthetics are a sticking point for one then it's a sticking point for all.

Having said that Fanstoys Dinobots look to be the epitome of MP. Scale, articulation, cartoon accuracy and original alt style.

Truth!

15. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    :lol  Indeed!

Agreed, should TT get round to Shockwave he'd be the MP-10 to Quakewave's MP-1. Better execution of the same general idea.

And those Dinobot's have really nailed it. The way they've furthered the engineering of MP-8s tail compressing into the legs for both Slag and Snarl is truly impressive, and possibly better than anything we've seen out of TT for ages.

16. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

This is like the "What is G1?" thread.

17. craftsmith

craftsmith Flying Spanner

Ebay:
    Its 'cause the masterpiece line is based on G1. Well except the failed movie masterpieces, which were just leaders with better paint apps.

18. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I meant because there are concrete definitions but some people want the terms to be fluid and apply them to whatever suits their fancy.

19. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    We see way too much of this in the fandom these days...

20. TigerBlade

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Lol how dare ppl buy figures to put on a shelf that someone else doesn't agree with.

That is what it boils down too. Rather sad really.