What comes after Classics/Masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by UTF, Jul 19, 2014.

1. UTF

UTF Manifestation of /toy/

News Credits:
    This has been on my mind lately. My overall goal over the last few years was to have a Classics collection that embodied all the characters from the American G1 cartoon. At this point, that goal is almost within reach, with a few exceptions here and there. It's no secret that most 3rd parties target the G1 market, but most can admit, a lot of the major fan favorites have been tackled. So I ask this: after Classics and Masterpiece have been totally tapped, whether it be through Hasbro or 3rd parties, what is the next logical step?

Beast Wars?
    A few characters from the first season need attention, but almost everything after Transmetals was pretty accurate.

Beast Machines?
    A lot of characters need do-overs. Barely any were screen accurate, but I feel due to the reaction to the series as a whole, the market just isn't big enough.

Robots in Disguise?
    Again, most of the characters were spot on perfect compared to their animated models. If anything, Ruination needs a new interpretation, but being a straight-up Bruticus repaint, it's more a job for G1 than RiD.

Armada?
    This seems like the most likely, at least from my point of view. The toys were accurate, to a degree, but they seemed to put gimmicks ahead of everything. Armada is 12 years old now. It was a jumping on point for a lot of younger fans, and the characters mean something to these fans. In addition to new, poseable figures, it also opens up the market for new minicons, which I'm all for.

Energon?
    Probably as accurate as you could get at the time. There's no real difference between how they look and the Hasbro offerings. In addition to that, I don't know of many people nostalgic for Energon.

Cybertron?
    Like Energon, most of the toys are perfect interpretations of their animated counterparts. A few toys here and there could benefit from new engineering, and there are actually a few fan favorites among the characters. The market, however, is a little small to warrant a ton of attention.

Animated?
    Here is a big market that could be tapped. The Allspark Almanac is filled with designs that never got a chance to get figures. I fear though that a lot of romance the fandom had with the series has cooled in past years. I believe the market exists, but the people who want it might not even know they want it at this moment.

Movie?
    This has some potential, but not a lot. People have been begging for a Leader Blackout since the first movie hit, but no one has taken up the call yet. There are a few more cases of characters lacking decent toys, or more properly scaled toys, but I could probably count most of them on 2 hands. That aside, the first movie is 7 years old, and like Armada, was a jumping on point for a lot of fans, so I believe a big enough market exists.

What's your take? What do you think comes next for 3rd party Transformers? There might even be a shift to some other franchises that people want, such as Sentai, or anime. Share your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    GoBots!!!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  3. divinecomedy

divinecomedy Board Certified Fans Trollar

News Credits:
    Masterpiece V3 where they'll produce a different scale chart like everyone should really be 2 cm taller, and they'll cover obvious hollowness in figures such as Prowl.

And after that, Masterpiece V4 .... boy they can keep this going forever.

4. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Masterpiece plus classics......... maybe Masics?

5. Stuntastic

Stuntastic Well-Known Member

It'll depend on the generation of collector...

Many older collectors totally skipped out on Beast Wars, and got back into collecting during RiD, Armada/Energon/Cybertron...

I'm a Classics collector first and foremost, with only two Masterpiece figures, but I'll buy whatever is neat, simply because I'm a Transformers ("transforming robot" for the politically correct fans of 3rd party transforming robots) fan.

After my Season 1-3 G1 Transformers Classic toy collection is "complete," I'll add cool toys to my collection of toys. Then if whatever company decides to revisit a character that has a more aesthetically appeasing look that'll fit in my collection, I'll replace said revisited figure and keep on going.

6. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I can't say what would be most sensible for HasTak and the 3Ps to do in terms of market draw. But for myself, there are a number of characters from the Unicron trilogy for whom is like to see better articulated or just plain better designed toys. I'd love to see the leader Optimus Prime with really good articulation. Same with Overload and Jetfire (the one with the wings full of missiles and Gatling guns for hands). I think it's Blur who had a cool alt mode, but ugly and brickish bot mode. I can think of a number of others who could use well-designed updates.

7. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Nothing. At least not for me. I feel like my collection is actually nearing completion.

8. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd like to see some of the Beast Machines designs get tackled.

Also, I think a neat thing to do, and maybe would be a bit more affordable, would be to start making G1-toy styled versions of characters that never got toys in the 80s. Basically do what the Retro-future line is doing, but with people like Elita One, Impactor, Devcon, Straxus, etc.

9. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

I also would have no problem with 3Ps carrying on making original designs, like Steelcore. In the end , I care less about a specific cast than I do about cool figures.

(My bank account and wife, OTOH, might have a serious problem with that strategy…)

10. Ionus

Ionus Well-Known Member

At this rate we might get a complete Masterpiece G1 cast when were 90. I think it's safe to assume there won't be a post G1 in our lifetime.

11. Clanure

Clanure Well-Known Member

I prefer Classterpiece...

12. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    I like to think of it this way-we, now, have G1 fans making toys that were never made. So when the Armada fans are old enough to design all this themselves, then we'll get em.

13. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

I agree with this sentiment. When their old enough to make it themselves we'll get them.

I'm mainly a G1 fan. I want everything from 1984-1989. American, Euro, and Japanese. 84-86 is getting close to done.... but 87-89 still has a lot to go.
    This classics collection isn't complete until we fill all the gaps that were on the front and back of those old those catalog scans and add all the Euro and Japanese exclusives!

I also love IDW G1 and want it to continue so we get awesome new toys and characters from it.

After that, start filling in the other lines from Beast Wars on... as those generations age. Its just a natural progression and I do not expect classics to ever die out for this reason.

Personally I'd say we're already starting to get into the beast wars era of 3P with Lio Convoy coming up, similar to when city commander first came out.

14. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

The end...

15. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    We're already getting to a point where we're re-treading a bunch of characters that had prior Classics releases each year. It'll be cyclical as newer collectors come in (just look at all the fans trying to track down Classics and Universe 2.0 figures because they weren't involved with collecting at the time). So I doubt even with stuff like the club and third parties every 80's character will get revamped before they move on to something else.

Let's be honest, we'll probably get another Astrotrain at retail before we ever get a Classics Longtooth.

16. wingheaven7

wingheaven7 Well-Known Member

G1 has so much source material. Don't forget the Japanese shows and toys. 3p could ride g1 for years.

After it's all done, i wouldn't mind more crossovers. Like space ship themed transformers from Star Trek, battlestar galactica etc. MEGAMAID from space balls with blow to suck action!

But if keeping it strictly transformers, I'd like to see the 13 primes done right. The covenant of primus is an interesting read and really does a great job of telling an origin story. Shame so few are represented in toy form.

And lastly, some transformable space ships from transformers, ark and all it's various interpretations, nemesis, lost light, etc. All would have a base mode, and fit at a minimum cyberverse figures. But be nothing like that half hearted attempt that hasbro release of the transformers movie ark.

17. redrum2581

redrum2581 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I maybe nearing the end as well going with the strikes my fancy collection, after all the combiners are done at the MT/FP size and i'm satisfied with my 13 dark primes counsel random cool figures like BW or minicons or even MEGAMAID now that sounds awesome

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    For third party/independent groups, why not take the step towards making their own fiction and characters? That's what I'd like these companies to work on NOW. I love the g1 homage or update, but I also want to see these guys branch out and create their own world.

Oh, and yeah do more Beast Wars.

19. canonball

canonball Well-Known Member

News Credits:

YES.

20. KARR

KARR Roving Robot

Yeah, that's pretty much me right now. I was collecting at that time, but I couldn't afford the Takara Classics figures I wanted; now I'm trying to find them late in the game.

The reasons is, I kind of see the Classics era ending and moving toward Masterpiece. What we consider Classics came out of the same vein as the AEC lines (quite a few Classics figures are repaints from these lines), and it seems like 3P figures are getting bigger and more in scale with MP. Not only that, but the aesthetic of Hasbro's figures is changing too. Just my observation.