What bugs you the most about DOTM?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by StarMaximus, Sep 27, 2011.

1. jazz_123

jazz_123 Banned

soundwave dying

2. StarMaximus

StarMaximus Active Member

Hi Blurayhidef,

Yeah, I understand you point. It's like giving them a quick death better than let them live or imprison all their life... I could see that Ironhide would have that attitude or belief, but Optimus would of handled it differently. You know how the good guy wouldn't kill and just send them to jail. Think about Batman or spiderman. Their intention was never to kill first, just a last resort.

3. decepticon2020

decepticon2020 Best there is @ what I do

THIS x1000.

4. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Medic

News Credits:
    1. The driller
    2. Sam
    3. Sam's parents
    4. Ironhide's death.
    5. Starscream's death.
    6. Jerry Wang
    7. Mirage's name

Dotm was a mixed bag. TF1 will always be my favorite.

5. BluRayHiDef

BluRayHiDef Well-Known Member

Yes, but the method of letting them live and sending them to prison is ultimately ineffective because they always wind up coming back. So, the best solution is to simply eliminate them.

6. StarMaximus

amen, brother!

7. StarMaximus

Yep, I agreed. Overall, the first one is the best one, out of the three.

8. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    :crazy:  :yuck 

Anyway... DOTM was my favorite of the three films, it really did improve on things since ROTF and the first film. More well-written robots (Sentinel, Optimus), voice actors like Leonard Nimoy, Francesco Quinn, and John Di-friggen-Maggio; genuinely funny stuff; epic battles. But it did have some flaws. It's not Best Picture materal, but I genuinely enjoyed myself seeing it.

Some of my nitpicks:

*Maybe this applies to the films in general, but Starscream never turned on Megatron. In Washington, he just seemed like Lugnut or Shockwave, a loyal follower of Megatron. Sure, he's not dumb enough to turn on Megatron while the almighty Sentinel was around, and an army of loyal Decepticons were on their way, but still. In Chicago, he could've sided with Sentinel, and shot Megatron off the roof, leaving him on the ground for Carly to find later on. He could've said, "Oh, how it pains me to do this!" The way he was talking about how "wounded and weak" Megatron was in Africa got me excited for some treachery. But, I suppose it's not reallly a big deal in the long run.
    *No mention of Ironhide after his death, a well-characterized and recurring Autobot among all three movies - and one of the few movie Transformers people can remember, besides Optimus, Bumblebee and Megatron.
    *The final "fight" between Megatron and Optimus was a one-hit kill. Megatron just proved he could whoop Sentinel from behind. He could've probably taken the heavily wounded Optimus in an equal fight for a little while until Optimus won.
    *The ending is so abrupt. Two minutes after Sentinel dies it's over. Sam and Carly do the typical "I love you", and Optimus makes a short speech, and no mention or real closure is given to any of the characters, Autobot or human.
    *The Driller attacking the building was a waste of CGI, just like Devastator. Nothing to contribute to the plot, and is killed randomly by Optimus just as Devastator was by Simmons. The CGI used for the Driller could've been used for more robot time for other characters, like the Dreads, Shockwave, Dino, Quejack, etc.

9. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

The fact that most of the films focus on humans rather than the transformers...might as well called it "Sam's mis-adventures in Bay-Verse"

While I do like the films, I like them for all the robot scenes, and can do without the human scenes.

I really wish they went in-debt with the Autobots and Decepticons, my number one example being Starscream, umm they never even hinted that he hated Megatron and wanted to over-throw him! But maybe that's just my inner fangirl raging XD

But for DOTM here is my list-
    1. Starscream's death
    2. Sam
    3.Jerry Wang
    4.Ironhide's death (No one even cared!? What the heck!?)
    5.Que(<---scared the crap out of me)
    6.The fact that the Cons' got taken down so easily
    7. Soundwave being rather...chatty (idk I'm used to the silent soilder XD)
    8. The fact that great characters we all know and love were pushed aside for lame humor and Sam's story

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

He was a bad guy in an action movie. Of course he was going to die. Get over it.
    Starscream wasn't being SERIOUS in Washington. I don't get how people don't realize he was being sarcastic. But I agree,the ending was too abrupt

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    He didn't say that. He said "we will kill them all." because he was angry and observing the mass slaughter of innocent humans commited by the Decepticons. That's actually not so far from when in the G1 movie he commanded the Dinobots to destroy Devastator, not "defeat" him, and that Optimus never witnessed such large scale atrocities such as the genocide of innocent people. Optimus, for lack of a better phrase, is not a machine. He has feelings and emotions, like Sam said it's what makes him "human."
    It wouldn't, because unlike G1 Prime, this Optmus is not a cartoon character. He's a soldier in a war. You ever see real-life military field commanders elegantly disable their opponents without killing them? No. Because that's not what war is about. There needs to be a level of ruthlessness in combat, and Prime, while he kills, never torments or slowly kills his opponents, and he never shows joy or lust for combat. He's always cleanly and quickly efficient, which is actually very much how any other Optimus would act in the movieverse' harsh realistic depiction of war.

Your choice of words confuses me. Afford? It had nothing to do with affording anything. Megetron was in hiding, he didn't have access to Shockwave or the ships on the moon, since they didn't have a means of transporting them and he couldn't risk being found out.

That was kinda the point, remember? The conversation with Carly, where she points out just that, and Megs is like "Oh, yeah, you're right" and then immediately turns on Sentinel. You even see it in his face as he thinks about it and realises he's been played for a chump. Honestly it was a nice change from a Megatron who's the big scary boss who everyone fears. He's more an old man who's slowly slipping from glory, once the big bad but having been forced into servitude by circumstances, and in the last moments of his hollow victory finally takes what's his. (for the five minutes he gets to enjoy it)

How can he be out of character when this is the first time he's shown up? That is Sentinel's character in the movie. He's an extremist, he may have had good intentions once, but he's kinda insane if you didn't notice, and gets so caught up in his pipe dream he doesn't see the immense damage he's causing. If you notice he doesn't kill Optimus when he first has the chance because to him he's still a hero. That's not being out of character, that IS his character. It's what makes him one of the better villains in recent Transformers years.

Again, that's the point, dude. Sam says just that, but basically the Government isn't gonna help him with trivial things like getting a job. Afterall they assume it'd be easy for him, but of course Sam being Sam, hence the movie. It's part of his character arc. Also, how would the movie budget impact how he gets a job or not? That doesn't make any sense.

Your "issues" are not really issues at all. They're more a lack of understanding or observation.

My issues with DOTM, though? Just three:

1. What the fuck happened to Wheelie and Brains? D:
    2. Though the lead-up to it was fucking epic, Optimus and Megatron's final confrontation was too short.
    3. No epilogue like the last movies. We don't even get to see if Optimus got his arm back just "Yup, we won, feels good brah."

Also:

The Twins' damage to devastor was almost entire cosmetic. Mudflap busted half his face but Devs hardly seemed bothered by it. The closest we see to any real damage done by them is when Devs slips on the Pyramid, and for all we know he's just clumsy. :p  The Rail Gun was an absolute Deus Ex Machina, though. Any sort of build up, maybe us seeing it be tested or used on something before Devastator would've made it a lot less out of place.

Though if it makes ya feel any better since we never see them after the fight in ROTF or at all in DOTM you could assume Devs killed them.

12. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I'm not objecting, but maybe it would be better if Bumblebee blasted Soundwave's head off, then one of Soundwave's minions (Yeah yeah, I know Laserbeak is dead too) would carry his head away, like in Animated or that battle between Soundwave and Blaster.

13. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

This isn't a cartoon. It doesn't work that way. Once he was Decapitated,brain waves and commands couldn't reach his body,plus his head was DESTROYED. There was nothing left. Though I do think Sideswipe or Ratchet should have killed him

14. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    I'm just saying.

I'm not going to argue or anything.

15. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

For the most part I liked DOTM,
    However I think you're right about Megatron. He was, for the most part; out of character. He was weak, frail, and pathetic. Cunning, yes; but pathetic.
    If Optimus Prime can repair himself after ROTF, surely Megatron can.
    Unless he was damaged in a recent battle against Optimus Prime...but I doubt it.
    Megatron was horribly underused, and his final battle was just pitiful as well.

I do think Shockwave should have played a more prominent role in the movie. Personally, I think Shockwave should have been the one who gave Megatron the pep talk in the alley.

Shockwave: 'You get you act together of I'll take over the Decepticons.' Or...something like that.

I'm going to expound a bit to what I would have liked to see.
    Sentinel's kicking Primes ass.
    Optimus makes one more plee to Sentinel; Sentinal quickly realizes Chicago's looking an awful like Cybertron now, with the destruction.
    Just as Sentinal comes to his senses, Shockwave jumps Sentinel, while Megatron jumps Optimus Prime.
    They duke it out. Sentinel kills Shockwave, but not before Shocky mortally wounds Sentinel too. Optimus Kills Megatron; Sentinel redeems himself, and dies a hero.
    END.

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Not that I want to split hairs, or anything. But the transformers are CGI, so that technically does make movie Soundwave a cartoon character still.

17. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    But that would've created a loose end and robbed teh movie of proper closure. As it stands, all Decepticons are dead and the Autobtos and humans live happily ever after. Leaving Soundwave alive would A. ruin that, and B. caused confusion for the audience, since most people aren't aware of Soundwave's significance and wouldn't recognize the minion carrying his head away trope.

18. Lazerwave

News Credits:
    Let's just leave stuff by our perspective. I don't want to start a fight about who or what.

19. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Fixed. The Decepticons have gone too far. Optimus has realized that shaking his finger and saying, "No, bad Decepticon!" isn't gonna stop them. The only way the Decepticons are going to cease their shenanigans is if they're all dead.

Those ships were clearly seen on Cybertron at the beginning of the movie, which takes place before the events of Movie 1. You know, BEFORE Megatron got half his head shot off. They have since then been hiding on the moon, waiting for their orders to strike.

Shockwave has had the Driller since before the war moved to Earth. It's a wild, vicious beast that was native to Cybertron, and Shockwave was able to tame and control it.

Even then, Megatron can barely stand those "Doctor" drones crawling all over him, which are, for a fact, trying to repair him; it's just their work gets interrupted because Megatron swats them away out of annoyance. He's basically trying to keep his image of a strong, fearsome warrior. Hell, he gets pissed of at Starscream for trying to be a suck up to him.

All Sentinel did was get strict with Megatron about the deal, keeping Megatron in check. Sentinel was on full alert, and Megatron wasn't exactly in the best of shape. Attempting to strike Sentinel down would be like charging toward a guy pointing a gun at you with your bare fists. Megatron was smart to not make Sentinel more cranky than he already was. Plus, Megatron wouldn't necessarily want to destroy his greatest triumph. Not yet, anyway.

Carly was able to sweet-talk and instill paranoia in Megatron. Megatron feared that Sentinel would strike him down sooner or later, and Megatron was gonna get him first.

Um...I think that was the idea. He was duped (by Megatron, of course) into betraying everything he stood for because Megatron "helped" Sentinel see a grand scheme of things - that Cybertronians, with all their power, should rule over lesser beings, not coexist with them.

There are so many reasons I can explain why I bought that plot point, but TFW won't allow political discussion. :p 

-----

Anywho, my only nitpicks are that the scene with Optimus and Sentinel overlooking the horizon and Optimus's ending speech should have been longer.

*Edit - Well, shit. SPLIT LIP more or less beat me to it.

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Optimus had the advantage of magical Macguffins and a fully-stocked NEST base. Megatron had dirt and sand.