What are your collection guilty pleasures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by kraven, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love duocons like overlord battletrap skythread or owning a collection

• Like Like x 2
  2. Erwin

Erwin Well-Known Member

Oooh, I would love a photo of that army building, sounds like fun!!

3. Erwin

Erwin Well-Known Member

My Guilty Pleasure at the moment, is that I actually paid $170.- twice for two different FansToys MP insecticons. I think it is *way* too much, but don't see a re-issue in the near future and now I have them, I am so happy with how awesome they are! So yeah, there's a lot of pleasure there but also some guilt..

4. Topshelf

Topshelf Well-Known Member

I mean, unless you’re mother Theresa living in rags, EVERYONE spends money on things they don’t need that could technically be donated or given away. There are people that spend at least $5 a day buying Starbucks before work. I don’t spend my extra cash on anything but transformers. So instead of buying a bunch of fast food, or alcohol, or Starbucks, I use my money another way.

5. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

2000s era repaints.
    PSX_20190105_150818.jpg
    Like universe what's his face here, that era's repaints where tops.

6. bignick1693

bignick1693 Maximal

News Credits:
    I guess the MPM line. With ss I’m like I don’t need MPM anymore but then I find the figures on clearance and I buy them.

7. Leopold Xerovsky

Leopold Xerovsky Capricious Chill

I'mma use this from now on for when something is as cool as the sofa king. Can't get much cooler than the sofa king.

Most of my collection aside from my "movie poster" cast might qualify as guilty pleasure. Like, I've got no connection to Optimus but here I am with both the POTP evolution and Siege Voyager because one has a neat gimmick, and the other is basically MP-10V. RTS Jazz, POTP Punch, frickin G2 Dreadwing, none of which I have any connection to but are sofa king cool for one reason or another to me.

8. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    RID Jhiaxus

9. Daedelus

Daedelus Know sacrifice, know victory

G1 is my guilty pleasure. I grew up on the TEC era, which was shameless on marketing unrealistic gimmicks, especially Minicons and powerlinx.

Then I saw bits of the 1984 cartoon that just had so much character from the hand-drawn, grainy, almost cheesy-smooth block Transformers. I barely have any attachment to that era's Optimus, yet I have TE-01 and MS-01 because of how that blockiness is more aesthetically pleasing than TEC. Plus the alt modes are real/realistic - THOSE are robots in disguise! (Also how Bayverse brought me back to the franchise)

G1 combiners blew my mind. Bring on MP TEC tho. Pls *Galaxy Manus* T&R Commander of Stars*

10. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    G1. G1 centric. Though with regards to BW, thanks to the MP line, I've already gotten the following(not really into BW before)

Original BW (Years ago)

1. Lio (not the RM version)
    2. Big
    3. Magmatron
    4. Megastorm
    5. BW Galvatron

Now

1. Legends Blackwidow
    2. MP Beast Convoy
    3. MP Dinobot
    4. P.O.ed MP Blackwidow
    5. Will P.O. MP Lio

(skipped on Cheetas (didn't dig him)

11. Capirus

Capirus The Gray

News Credits:
    Repaints. All the repaints.

12. RetrogradeMercury

RetrogradeMercury Well-Known Member

Repaints and even remolds to an extent feel like guilty pleasures to me. Is Starscream “but now in green!” really something I need? At the very least I should just buy a different mold I don’t already own instead. But sometimes I’m persuaded by a pretty new deco.

Sometimes I feel I indulge too often if something is available for a good price. I got some RID figures I wasn’t terribly interested in simply because they were available on clearance. Good deals are appealing but I don’t always weigh if it’s still worth the price and space it might take up.

13. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Don't. Your purchase benefits Hasbro employees, Vietnam workers, shipping yard employees and retail workers. Your purchases keeps hundreds of people employed and their tables full. While charity is always good, never underestimate the power of a working capital economy.

• Like Like x 7
  14. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I mean, I'm still buying toys so I'm obviously not all that concerned about it, it's just something at the back of my mind that bugs me a little bit. I guess it kinda skewed the point of the thread, so I'd say MPs and anything over $100 are more specifically associated with financial guilt and I. $20 Siege deluxes? No worries.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Building displays after finally getting a good toy of a character I love. Case in point, Siege Shockwave. I want to build a laboratory for him and populate it with Insecticons, caged Dinobots and maybe build some lab equipment, a flight stand for his drone.......... I just talked myself into it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Tougher than Leather.

Mixing my out of scale CHUG figures with the Masterpiece figures.
    To be honest, I am more interested not in G1 but designs that span that entirety of the franchise. So that means MP Prowl and Universe Bluestreak (Silverstreak.)
    Characters like Kup, Perceptor and Tracks may be out of scale, but who cares. I am just happy to own that character.

17. StapDLambs

StapDLambs Well-Known Member

Volcanicus with both PE upgrade kits. o_O  I don’t know why I bought them.

18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    I wouldn't guilt myself like that.

It's YOUR PERSONAL HOBBY! It's not money wasted on, Gambling, Drugs, Alcohol or ungrateful women either. It's also a hobby that if I was to give up and sell all of it today or tomorrow, it could bring me back a good $8K - $10K. Which would all go to my kids.

**************************************************************************************************************

As for Guilty Pleasure. I like to break them all down into factions and Subgroups which broadens my TF Universe courtesy to some the original IDW stories.

19. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

It's kinda the thread. As I said though, it's just a little thing that bugs me a bit. It's kinda like eating hot dogs. Of course I like hot dogs, but I feel a little bit guilty eating them...just not enough to stop eating them because I enjoy the way they taste.

20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Sorry, just trying to throw in a silver lining in the event that you do sell off your collection you could donate all or some of the earnings to various charities. That kinda makes it a win/win in the end.

• Like Like x 2