What are your 'can't miss' classics figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zethrofax, Oct 16, 2016.

1. flik68

flik68 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yeah there are so many I love. I don't like typing enough to name them all. arcee, gen scourge, and univ hound are my top three I think. I love the junkion mold and the classic seeker mold too.

2. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Because :useless , all of them... or at least a decent chunk :ev:  (sprinkled with some 3P and Unicron Trilogy).

20160509_214404_2.jpg

20160511_203830_2.jpg

20160509_224329_2.jpg

20160509_235245_2.jpg

20160806_152232_2.jpg

20160510_005902_2.jpg

20160806_143403_2.jpg

CW/UW aside, I built the bulk of my collection off of Classics. Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Classics Bumblebee
    Classics (voy) Optimus
    Universe Hound (Ravage is OK too)
    Generations (dlx) Warpath
    Generations Waspinator
    Generations Arcee
    CW Megatron (OK, a bit big for my taste, but everything else is pretty nifty.)

(lots of honorable 'nearly there' mentions, and stuff that I like now, but I don't know if they'll hold appeal long term)

RTS/United Jazz is definitely a "really like it, but..." toy for me. The "as the arms go, so goes the chest" torso and that uncharacteristic Judge Dredd scowl are the black marks on an otherwise very nice figure.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    man, classic is practically 10 years old, huh?

my 10 in no order:
    • mirage
    • hound
    • thundercracker (i do like the seeker mold)
    • hot rod
    • jetfire (or one of his repaints, its a fun mold)
    • jazz
    • cyclonus
    • wreck gar
    • the powerglide mold is fun too
    • i also like the thunderwing/black shadow mold

5. peddlerofwine

peddlerofwine Starscream's Robot Gun

-Gen Kup
    -Gen Sideswipe
    -Gen Sunstreaker
    -Gen Drift (good luck finding a cheap one)
    -FoC Bumblebee and Cliffjumper
    -Gen Arcee
    -Gen Coneheads

The list could go on.

6. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Another one? Why? I am geniunely curious as to why anyone would recommend that mold.

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

- RTS Wreck Gar
    - CW Powerglide
    - Classics Voyager Optimus Prime
    - Gen Hound with Ravage
    - CW Ultra Magnus
    - Uni Inferno
    - Classics Jazz
    - Leader Jetfire
    - CW Devastator

At first I didn't want to added Classics Prime but the alternative is blah.

8. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    This question is to hard lol i have almost all classics.

If i had to nail it down to one i would say wfc prime is a must have

9. Tresob

Tresob Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't have much to add to the list, but I'm pretty surprised that Classics/RTS Bumblebee only popped up about three times in this thread. (And I'm surprised Hasbro never bothered recycling it for the Throttlebots.)

10. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Classics Bumblebee is a really good toy. It's fun to play with and is a good representation of Bumblebee. Aside from him, Classics voyager Prime, but this is almost a given, or at one point it was.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Fallout

Fallout Banned

News Credits:
    rhinox and the lambo mold for sure. OG BB is a gem but i don't like the original paint job.

12. Zethrofax

Zethrofax Well-Known Member

Awesome collection! Thanks for sharing :)  But I am trying to be as selective as possible as my MP collection already eats up most of my display space :/

And that's the real problem here, I like so many figures that have been suggested, to think going into this thread I assumed there would be very little I would want haha

Yeah when I write 'classics' it's to avoid 'chug'. I have an irrational aversion to the term...

So wreck-garr and hotrod have popped up in equally positive and negative lights in this thread, I am really torn about including them on my list at this point

• Like Like x 1
  13. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well if I have to narrow it down to just one... then easily Henkei Convoy with the G3 Trailer :thumb 

20160312_110848_2.jpg

Please ignore the photo-bombing combiner :ev: 

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  14. iacon45

iacon45 Missing: One Custom Title

News Credits:
    Here are the best ones I would recommend:
    • Reveal the Shield Scout Class Windcharger - This one might be hard to find, but it has a better animation style look and is definitely better than the TR Legends figure, IMO.
    • Generations Voyager Class Springer - One of the best triple changers ever made. Each mode is well balanced and has no visible drawbacks that some triple changers suffer like kibble, joints, etc. By extension I would also say Generations Sandstorm who is a remold of Springer.
    • Classics 1.0 Deluxe Mirage - Has a sleek alt mode and a robot mode to match. The combiner wars figure is ok, but I prefer the unique look Classics 1.0 has without the combiner parts.
    • Generations Legends Cosmos - Mainly because everyone should at least have 1 Cosmos figure in their collection. This one is the more articulated than the older Legends class figure from the Universe 2.0 line.
    • Generations Leader Class Jetfire/Classics 1.0 Voyager Class Jetfire - I listed this as a tie because both figures are great and have various pros and cons depending on which one you find easier to get. Both have extra armor and masks that can be removed or added for more play value and have incredible articulation.
    "Honorable Mention" recommendations go to United Deluxe Class Stepper and Voyager Class Artfire. I didn't list these in my main recommendations because they are more obscure characters and most casual and new TF fans might not be familiar with them. Also they were Japan book mail-away exclusives but various online collector shops carried them here at pretty high prices. After awhile though said online stores started clearing them out at better to manage prices. Stepper uses the RTS Deluxe Class Jazz mold and comes with a Targetmaster while Artfire uses Universe 2.0 Inferno/Grapple's mold and also has two targetmaster figures. If you want something unique in your collection that not everyone might have and if you can find them at a good price, I'd recommend picking them up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    huh, i don't know if i was lucky or what, but the locking chest has never been an issue from me: I have Stepper here on my desk and i can pick him up by the front of his hood and shake him vigorously and nothing moves. he's VERY tight. I don't recall Jazz being any different.

I'd easily rank him top 5 all-time Classics.
    i actually have always been bugged by the Inferno/Grapple mold because it lacks a proper waist ~ he's basically a cube on legs ~ all he needed was a T-crotch that came down a little lower to fix that. the flap that hides the fact that his hips attach to the body too-high is really tacky looking too.

That said, i think the complaints of modern hollowness are far different: things that used to look/feel solid now just aren't, and often are leaving unsightly gaps ~ the Blurr mold is a great example of hot to do it right, where the hollow bits mostly cover themselves up, but examples like PMOPs forearms are just unforgivable. It looks so cheep and tacky.

I really miss the days when flip-out forearms had opening panels that covered the hollows.
    Can't argue there. Will always wish that mold had been a voyager, would have been much better scale-wise AND you'd have had the room to solve most of the problems it had. In a vacuum, i still like it (i actually love the coneheads in that mold ~ i think their heads fix some of the proportion issues and they historically HAD oversized weapons compared to the Seekers), but it's got some serious problems.
    i really don't think the new Hot Rod looks that much better: for every improvement he's got a new detriment, and he still suffers from some goofy proportions. I like it, and the character enough to buy it and have both, but neither is scratching my itch for a definitive Hot Rod ~ the new ones proportions might be even worse then the old one with the humungoid shoulders and overly lanky body.

16. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't see enough Whirl in this thread.

17. artiepants

News Credits:
    maybe because he has those horrible reverse angle legs? (completely and totally ruins the figure for me)

18. Gir

Gir I want to be a mongoose

A lot of good ones have been mentioned, but I have not seen anyone mention Generations Cyclonus. I love that figure. Just so good looking. The 2 pack with Hot Rod version is all lighter purple like the cartoon where as the generations is more toy colored. I've got both and they are great.

Also I'm one of the few people I think that like the Ironhide / Ratchet molds. They're a bit complex to transform but I think they look good.

• Like Like x 1
  19. artiepants

News Credits:
    TOTALLY agree on Cyclonus, he's absolutely a "can't miss".

20. heltskelt

heltskelt Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Cyclonus was mentioned in the 3rd post and at least once per page so far. I never liked how the lower lega are not secure in alt mode.

i don't understand the dislike of the Hot Rod mold. It's not the best, but it has a nice alt mode and the ability to store that ridiculous weapon. I like the alt mode better than the upcoming TR release.

I think the best molds have been mentioned: BB, Hound, Inferno, Jetfires, Springer, Arcee, and Black Shadow.

• Like Like x 1