What are your 'can't miss' classics figures?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Zethrofax, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Zethrofax

Zethrofax G1 Traitor - Beast Wars 4 life

So I recently picked up a generations deluxe Warpath after reading a lot of positive commentary about it and it absolutely surpassed my expectations. I had sort of written off a lot of classics figures as cheap hollow low quality toys. Obviously I was wrong, so I wanted to ask what other classics figures are of this quality and absolute must haves regardless of scale. I know Springer/Sandstorm are also amazing having owned them. But what else am I missing? Top 5 or 10 lists are welcomed!

2. Wh33l JcK

Wh33l JcK Well-Known Member

Classics Hound IMHO might be the best classics toy ever!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Classics Mirage
    Henkei Hound
    RTS/Universe Cyclonus
    Generations Kup
    Generations Scourge
    United Jazz
    RTS Wreck-Gar

• Like Like x 1
  4. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    This is of course my opinion, I don't think you can really pinpoint definitive CHUG figures since peoples taste will be different but...

I think any of the deluxes from the Combiner Wars lineup including online exclusive Slingshot, Groove, & Wildrider are some of the best deluxes I've put my hands on. Especially the Rook & Dead End molds.

Thrilling 30 had some amazing figures too, there is Skids/Crosscut, Arcee, Chromia, Windblade, Scoop, Jetfire, Waspinator, Armada Starscream, & Trailbreaker/Hoist.

Chromedome, Astrotrain, Mindwipe, Hardhead, & Blurr are some of the best offers currently from the new Titans Return line.

The Thunderwing/Sky Shadow mold and Wheeljack from the 2010 Generations line is also really good and a stand out of the okay figures released at the time.

You can't go wrong with the deluxe Seekers either.

5. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    Classics Starscream, Classics Hotrod, Universe Hound, Universe Inferno, Generations Wheeljack, Generations Kup, Legends Arcee...

6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Temp Banned

News Credits:
    Most of the classics molds good as they are (Mirage, Astrotrain, Prime, Starscream) are kind of outdated, the only one that is still kind of relevant is Jetfire.
    The Universe molds where never that good to begin with.
    The kind of molds you are asking about really are all to be sought in the generations line:
    Wheeljack, Thunderwing, Warpath, FOC Shockwave, FOC Jazz, FOC Prime, Skids, waspinator, Sandstorm, Chromia, Swerve, Cosmos, Whirl, Roadbuster, Hoist, Brainstorm, Rhinox are what i would call the fun toys of that line.
    And offcourse - barring the motormaster mold - CW is the apex of modern Transformer toys engineering. TR coming in a close second.

7. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I love the CHUG figures to the point it would be easier to make a list of those not to bother with (*glares at Dlx Galvatron*)

Of the older CHUG's you must have Classics Prime & Starscream.

More recently Leader Magnus is a damn fine figure.

8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Runnin' like a constipated wiener dog

Classics Prime, Seeker mold, Mirage, Jetfire, Astrotrain
    Generations Wheeljack, Scourge, Cyclonus, Rhinox, Waspinator, Rattrap, Springer, Sandstorm, Warpath, Hound, Arcee
    WFC Prime, Megatron, Deluxe Soundwave (3 of my favorite Deluxes ever), Seekers
    I personally love the Universe Onslaught/Hardhead mold. Big, beefy, blocky, and intimidating.

Wow, I think you're right. Avoid Galvatron, Ironhide/Ratchet... ummm, any others to completely avoid?

9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    RTS Lugnut
    hftd Seaspray
    generations Straxus/Skullgrin

10. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    The thing with Classics is that some of the old molds haven't aged particularly well, go for ludicrous prices and are almost certainly going to get new toys of the same character eventually. I'd probably focus on characters like Lugnut who won't be getting another toy anytime soon.

I hate the Classics Starscream mold, the Classics Hotrod is almost as bad as Galvatron and I'm not particular fond of the Sideswipe/Sunstreaker mold either.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Zethrofax

I can see that a portion of them may seem outdated due now, but my example if Warpath actually feels better than a lot of newer releases to me. And speaking of that, while I will concede that the engineering in CW and TR is top notch, I am not a fan of the gimmick being present in almost every figure. I personally don't care for combiners or headmasters, so it's been a rough couple of years for me haha. Also, while it has been discussed to death, I am not a fan of how hollow most of the CW and TR figures are. I ackowlwedge the realities of the cost of plastic and manufacturing, but I wouldn't mind paying a few buck more to get extra flaps to hide gaps.

Yeah I understand your point if your collection focus is on classics figures, but I want to focus on a few outstanding pieces and avoid the completionist trap that has plagued me.

yep and this is why I want to get some guidance from you folks who are more experienced with this scale. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone :) 

12. Zethrofax

oh and I was curious what your opinions are of the classics jetfire vs the generations leader class version. Are both worth having or is the newer one definitively superior?

13. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Universe Ultra Powerglide, his arms will never tab in. CW Brawl and his weird stomach isn't up to snuff.

Well if your going to twist my arm, then my top three (at this very moment in time) would be Generations Springer, Leader Magnus and Universe Onslaught.

14. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I do enjoy some of the newer stuff, none of it really seems like it's going to be looked at later as fondly as the older Generations/Universe stuff.

The Inferno mold is outstanding. Easily one of my favorites, and I'm not even a big fan of the character.
    Universe Hound is pretty awesome as well. The transformation is fun and tight. Just ignore the gawdawful Ravage it comes with. That thing is terrible.
    Springer is almost on the level of amazing. It's one of those figures I'll never part with.

15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    These plus:
    Classics, Henkei or AOE evolution Voyager Optimus Prime (not even remotely outdated, far and away the best CHUG Prime)
    Classics or Henkei Deluxe Bumblebee (better then Masterpiece or the upcoming legends - he's got a functional interior!)
    Universe 2.0 or Henkei Sunstreaker (IMHO in a fight with Jazz for best deluxe mold ever ~ Sunstreaker beats out Sideswipe and hence red Alert because i'm not crazy about their head sculpt)
    Generations Wheeljack and/or United Tracks
    United Stepper (takes an already near-perfect mold and elevates it with jaw-dropping paint)
    RTS Scout Windcharger - an absolutely sublime little figure, I really wish all the minibots could have been done at this scale and engineering level

Even if you are anti-Headmaster, don't sleep on Legends Deluxe Blurr, he's another one I'd put pretty high up there on the "best Deluxe" list - his animation accuracy in both molds is really something to behold.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I think the older one is superior in every way but size.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I can't agree that Generations Jazz is a great figure. Sure, it hits a lot of the right spots, but that non-locking torso just eliminates it from the running for me.

18. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:

The Junkion mold.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Zethrofax

based on pictures alone, I like the look of the older one better honestly. With classics I don't care about scale I just want a cool fun to handle toy.

20. Booster Gold

Booster Gold Accept no imitations

News Credits:
    Generations Rhinox...an almost masterpiece level piece of design.

• Like Like x 1