What are your best and worst TF buys of 2016?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by plastic therapy, Dec 12, 2016.

1. gnodprime1

gnodprime1 Made of sterner stuff

Ebay:
    Best: MP Inferno, nice job on the accessories
    Worst: MP Tracks, he just lacks the engineering polish of modern MPs. Way too fiddly and floppy. A very frustrating figure. He's just no fun to transform.

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm... Bit of a toughie...

I said Soundwave was my favorite figure, but oddly enough I'd say Blaster was my best buy. I'd kinda taken a break during Combiner Wars, and I happened to get Hardhead...who I found kinda boring. But when I got Blaster, my opinion of the line did a 180. Besides, if not for Blaster, I wouldn't have gotten Soundwave.

Worst buy... I guess TR Nightbeat? I really hate to pick on the little guy, and I love drill tanks, but I just keep thinking of other Titanmasters I could have gotten.

• Like Like x 2
  3. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Sadly, the only figures I've purchased so far this year were CW Bruticus and TR Skullcruncher, Carnifex is my gift to myself for Christmas and I suspect he'll take the "best" part when I open him alongside my family.

Best: CW Swindle
    What a damn well engineered figure, the only complaints I have are the lack of his cannon, the hollow legs, and the poorly hidden hands in vehicle mode. 9/10
    Worst: CW Onslaught
    This was the figure I was most looking forward to in CW, and he is such a disappointment. Onslaught has the basis of a good figure, but he can't even hold his damn arms up, his backpack cannons are entirely unimposing, and his vehicle mode is less convincing than the original G1 figure. Not to mention the plastic that is by far the thinnest I've ever felt on a Transformers figure and, to add insult to injury, he doesn't even have his gun! Has/Tak really, really cheaped out on this guy. I'd still give him a 6/10 because he manages to make an excellent core for the other four Combaticons, but I tend to set him off to the side while I pose the other four who are mostly decent figures.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Best: GP Slag tho no disappointment with other 3P like UT Abominus, TFC Liokaiser, FT Hound, XTB Scourge and sweeps, KFC Junkion (great as GP Slag).

Worse: Hasbro CW Sky Lynx. Poor engineering choice at the rear foot as it droops when trying to stand. I'd have forgiven the fact it doesn't separate like the G1 toy but those foot just droops. Probably a better choice if it was also a leader scale too.

Btw, what is so bad about MP Tracks??? I bought the KO ver cuz of rubber tires and better alignment and much much cheaper and I love it. No real issue

5. plastic therapy

plastic therapy Banned

Already answered that

6. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Best:
    MP Ironhide - Floored by this figure. Amazing transformation and the grey paint makes for a great likeness. Goes from a small van to a much larger robot(kind of how Animated Lockdown went from a car to a much taller robot). The epitome of a robot in disguise.

MP Shockwave - The plastic is solid! Much heftier than I expected. Transformation is crazy in a good way. Likeness is excellent. Love the cartoon colors. Normally I prefer toy but if it's as well done as this, sometimes I'll go for the toon look.

Legends Fort Max - Enough retooling to appear substantially different from Metroplex. Huge figure with loud ratchets which I am always a fan of. Plus 2 headmasters!

Titan Return Legends Rewind - Absolutely a joy to transform and pose, just don't forget to remove the stylus before transforming!

Worst:
    Titans Return Legends Laserbeak - I did not expect to be underwhelmed but I was. Definitely 1 of the weakest TR tape-formers. It's decent but could've been a lot better. Outshined by Rewind/Rumble.

Titans Return Legends Ravage - I was really looking forward to this because I like Soundwave's tape minions from G1. It's hard to say which is worse, this or Laserbeak. Jet mode for me is my favorite and it isn't even a mode from G1! The Ravage that came with Hound in 2008 is much better.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bcm77

bcm77 Well-Known Member

Best
    MMC Overlord, Iron Factory Scorponok & MP Optimus Primal

Worst
    MP Ironhide & Ratchet (Bought to try and win myself over on the newer cartoony MP's and resold both in less than a week as they looked bloody awful with the rest of my '84 Autobots.)

8. motorthing

motorthing One of these days.........

News Credits:
    image.jpeg Best Official: TR Triggerhappy

Worst Official: I didn't buy any "worst" Bots this year so.......well done me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Taureanstar

Taureanstar Well-Known Member

Worst: TR galvatron by a long, long way. Hasbro short for the moon on this one and miserably failed.

Best: KO OS MP-10B. If I were hastak I would use it as a guide for future mp's. Mp soundwave to me is the only official mp on par with it. It's pure transformers power.

Edit: TR fort maxx for best but just because I paid $75. If I had paid retail I still would have liked it but it wouldn't have been in running for best buy- but either way I do love it. In the minority here but better than metroplex to me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  10. Smokescreen38

Smokescreen38 Fight fire with smoke!

News Credits:
    Best: Geez...toss a stone at my TR collection and I could make a case for almost any of them. I have to give this one to TR Blaster. Such a fun toy.

Worst: CW Bruticus. Don't get me wrong; I really like CW stuff but in my opinion, Brutie was the lowest-effort set of the whole line. The only new mold was seriously disappointing, the rest were serious misses in one way or another. By the time I got my Combaticons, I was so thoroughly tired of the CW molds that I instantly regretted it. Shockwave was the highlight of the set, IMO.

Runner up: Masterpiece Optimus Primal/Beast Convoy . Simply gorgeous figure. It only missed the top spot by being more than 2x as expensive as TR Blaster.

11. Electro Rush

Electro Rush Just a guy waiting for the perfect Whirl

Best: MMC Carnifex. My Last Stand Of The Wreckers display now feels complete. You can't beat that lovely grin. Now I need a Rotostorm with a hole in his head.

Worst: TR Stripes. I've enjoyed the majority of the TR figures (even Galvatron!) but nothing on Stripes looks good. Kill it with fire.

12. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Worst is fairly easy: MT's Gundog (aka Hound). He looks good, but he's like 1/3 or more die cast, and I HATE diecast, especially when used so extensively. Like, MP Shockwave has just the right amount of diecast to not irritate me, and it's used in all the right places, where Gundog feels like it was just, "hey, let's add diecast here just because!" I knew about it before hand and thought I could get over it once I got him in hand, but nope. I don't hate him or anything, or dislike enough to get rid of him, but I definitely regret getting him.

And for those that have issues with 3rd party mentions ... TR Galvatron I guess. Again I don't hate him, but that mask gimmick is just BAD.

Best is going to be a lot tougher. For one, I still have a pile of loot waiting to ship with the wave 3 TR stuff and MP Inferno that's still waiting on stuff to come in, and I'm highly anticipating many items in that shipment.

Out of the ones I do have in hand though ... runners up are probably TR Fort Max, MP Hot Rod, MP Ratchet, and TR Weird Wolf, which are all great figures. But I think the #1 spot is a tie between the Walgreens TR Brainstorm, and TAV Starscream (the warrior class one). Brainstorm is just an excellent figure, and Starscream may be my favorite seeker design ever. I so can't wait for Thundercracker to be made from the mold, and I really hope Hasbro at least does an Acid Storm too, in addition to the announced Skywarp. Hell, I'll take all the seekers even.

13. Blot

Blot Terrorcon Foot Soldier

News Credits:
    Best Purchase: G1 Metroplex (a nice, complete, minty, plastic wheeled, two butt-screwed version at a reasonable price--a grail of mine)
    Worst: G1 Kick-Off
    (found some random Action Masters for super cheap and decided to grab them for the heck of it--he's not bad for what he is, but someone had to be worst!)

Of things that came out this year:
    Best Purchase: CW G2 Menasor for $30 (the price pushed this one into first)
    Worst: TR Mindwipe
    (I like him just fine, but again, someone had to be worst)

14. Megasquared

Megasquared Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best purchase: UW Computron
    Worst purchase: Nonnef Hands/Feet

15. scamper

scamper Well-Known Member

Best? - crikey - it's been a hell of a year - TR has been almost universally amazing - however, UW Computron takes the prize - it's just achingly beautiful and looks stunning combined or individual bots
    worst?- RID legion Windblade - looks like ( and feels like) a cross between a really cheap and nasty 3P KO and a toy you'd get out of a Christmas cracker...

16. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

UW Computron and Sky Lynx for my best. That last one I'd been hunting for since August. I think I'll just buy a voyager case from BBTS and save myself the trouble.

Worst would have to be UW Galvatron, and that's only because Seibertron scared me into paying full price for him and every other purchase was so much better.

Honorable Mention going to CW Scattershot that I'm customizing. I'm not 100% sure if the end result will be worth it, but I'm already this deep in I might as well finish.

17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Blue=Sarcasm; Purple=Snarkcasm

Best Purchase: TR Wolfwire tied with RID Warrior Bisk.

Both just insanely fun toys that stand out in a display.

Worst Purchase: CW Wreck-Gar.

He was an impulse buy so I could have the character, and he's not terrible but just underwhelming. Perhaps he'll look better with other "Junkions" in the future.

18. grindcore138

grindcore138 I'm tryin' to get a Sprite sponsorship

News Credits:
    There's been too much good stuff this year for me to pick a definitive "best" figure, but I guess I'll give it MP Optimus Primal because, holy shit, we got a MP Optimus Primal and it's amazing.

For "worst" I'll go with UW Bruticus just because mine is such a minefield of QC issues. I otherwise love the set for how it looks on the shelf, it's just a shame Takara dropped the ball so thoroughly on such an important aspect of it.

19. Gremnock

Gremnock Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    IMG_20161212_145537.jpg Best: FT Stomp, Scoria, Soar, Sever
    Worst: TR Alpha Trion. His arms came apart at the mushroom pegs straight out of the box. They also fall out anytime I try to pose him.
    Honorable Mention is Masterpiece Ratchet. Only reason he made it is because his crest came in broken on both faces.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ricky_Stream

Ricky_Stream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    worst!

[​IMG]

he's not bad...but the weakest bot mode of my purchases this year. (gorgeous alt mode though..)

BEST:

tie beetween:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3