What are you reading (novel) and how is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Feb 3, 2016.

1. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

I am finally finishing on reading Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Wild Space either tonight or tomorrow as well as starting on the third and final Darth Bane novel, Dynasty of Evil, which is a very long time coming.

2. GuardianAngel87

Finished reading Star Wars: Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil last night and with it, the entire Darth Bane trilogy and I am now in the process of reading Hard Contact which is the first book of the Republic Commando series.

3. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma Imagine Breaker

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Light novel

4. GuardianAngel87

I finished reading Star Wars: Republic Commando: Hard Contact last night and this is indeed the best Karen Traviss-penned SW novel so far and while there's a followup, albeit very short-lived, series after Republic Commando by the same author, on which I now managed to complete, I most likely won't get to that for awhile. As of now, I'm reading Star Wars: Shatterpoint and it's already off to a very good start.

My current SW TBR (to be read) list for those that are interested:
    The Last Command (the third and final part of the Thrawn Trilogy)
    Kenobi
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    Rogue Squadron (the first part of the X-Wing series)
    Death Troopers
    Allegiance
    Choices of One
    The film novelization versions of the original Star Wars trilogy
    Rogue Planet
    Outbound Flight
    Specter of the Past and Vision of the Future (parts one and two of the Hand of Thrawn Duology)
    Survivor's Quest
    Path to Truth (the book that serves as a prequel to the Jedi Quest series)
    The Cestus Deception
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    The Paradise Snare, The Hutt Gambit, and Rebel Dawn (first, second, and third parts of the Han Solo Trilogy)
    Death Star
    Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, and Champions of the Force (first, second, and third parts of the Jedi Academy Trilogy)
    I, Jedi
    Heirs of the Force, Shadow Academy, The Lost Ones, Lightsabers, Darkest Knight, and Jedi Under Siege (the first six books of the Young Jedi Knights series)
    Dark Tide I: Onslaught and Dark Tide II: Ruin (second and third parts of The New Jedi Order series)

5. Venixion

Venixion Resident Feather-brain

News Credits:
    I tried reading some of HP Lovecraft's works. He's descriptive, but he put no feeling and his tone is very flat and bland.

As an author, you do hafta trigger the readers emotions and imagination, but you hafta pull them into your imagination and emotions as well.

6. Kamijou Touma

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. Light novel Volume 2. Touya and his troubles, which i wish i could have.

7. GuardianAngel87

Finished reading Star Wars: Shatterpoint and it's pretty good for the most part though out of the all of the Matthew Stover-penned SW novels I read so far, I personally find the film novelization of Revenge of the Sith and Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor to be better and after a couple of years ago since I read the first two Thrawn Trilogy novels, which are among the first old EU Star Wars books I've read along with the Clone Wars Gambit duology, I've finally started reading the third and final book of said trilogy, The Last Command, on which I'm already up to its fourth chapter.

8. Kamijou Touma

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. LN 5 this is the funniest series I have ever read.

9. BigToysFan

BigToysFan Visit my blog! - http://bigtoysfan.blogspot.com

Twitter:
    I'm up to page 176 of The Count of Monte Cristo, and trying to decide if it's really worth seeing through to the last page.

10. Kamijou Touma

Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni. LN 6. Up to 6 fiances for Touya. He is a lucky man.

11. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Recently finished Mistborn: The Final Empire and Mistborn: The Well of Ascension. Not sure when I will be finishing the trilogy though.

12. andyz

andyz Banned

The Republic of Plato
    Seriously good read if you are past that "I hate books" phase

13. Galvatron Rage

Galvatron Rage Question Authority

I'm reading 1984 and am right at the end. I have no idea what's gonna happen!

How is it? It's awesome. So many parallels to modern-day society and it really drills deep down into the screwed-up human psyche and society in general. Great book so far. I'm gonna finish it in the morning, I think.

14. GuardianAngel87

Recently finished Star Wars: The Last Command. It's been couple of years since I have the first two books of it but I've finally completed The Thrawn Trilogy and it's easily some of the best SW novels I ever read and among my personal favorites. To me, they are basically what the sequel trilogy should've been. Whether you're an EU veteran or a newcomer, The Thrawn Trilogy is highly recommended to any and all Star Wars fans. Speaking of Thrawn in general, since the sequel novel to last year's, well, Thrawn is making its release this July which will be titled, Thrawn: Alliances, I figured that before temporarily jump back into reading the Disney canon SW novels for that, I'll be doing something of a reading marathon of the rest of the old EU Star Wars novels that are written by their author, Timothy Zahn starting off with Allegiance.

15. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    So I asked my friend what his wallpaper on his laptop was and he said it was from the Stormlight Archives which led to this long conversation on the Sanderson works before he lent me his copy of Mistborn: The Hero of the Ages which he had in his room. I have a few tests this week but I will be starting that soon. :D 

16. Kamijou Touma

Outbreak Company Light Novel

17. Jazz1992

Jazz1992 Adult Toy Collector....that came out wrong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Up to page 112 of Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton. Very good read so far. Just bought it today. Trying to find the time to read more.

18. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

Witcher: Blood of Elves

• Like Like x 1
  19. GuardianAngel87

Finished Star Wars: Allegiance about fours days ago, which incidentally happens on my birthday but I digress, and it is pretty solid and enjoyable especially the fair amount of spotlight that is given to a small group of Storm Troopers and the writing on Luke, Han, and Leia in their appearances in the novel under Zahn's penmanship is is just as good as always. Up next, it's the sequel to Allegiance, Choices of One.

20. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I could join in this thread, but right now (and for the foreseeable future) it'll just be Warhammer 40K books as I'm buying all the Warhammer Legends books off Hachette Partworks...

I'm up to Titanicus at the moment, written by Dan Abnett. I liked his comics in the 90's and I must say am enjoying the shit out of his writing. Not all the Warhammer books are great, but most are.