What are you reading (novel) and how is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

I'm about half way through "It" by Stephen King. It's my second time reading it, but the first was over 10 years ago. I don't usually get much free time to spend on reading, but I should be finished before the movie comes out in September.

2. he he

he he New Member

Lollita . It is great

3. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:
    Theres only 1 l.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  4. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Just finished reading Rogue One: A Star Wars Story film novelization. Now, it's onward to the next "current canon" SW novel, Lords of the Sith. After that, it's Battlefront: Twilight Company. Four down, at least seventeen to go.

5. Toy Rogers

Toy Rogers ¿op uoʇʇnq sıɥʇ sǝop ʇɐɥʍ

I recently finished the 3rd Song of Ice and Fire novel. I can't tell if I'm enjoying the series. Like, is it actually GOOD or am I just trying to be a hipster and say I was on the ground floor before the show came out and it became nerd-cool to like?

That's exactly what I'm doing too. I started reading it years ago but didn't get far enough into it. And I want to finish with enough time to rewatch the 1990 version before I see the 2017 movie version. I heard they got approved for an R rating, so it should be bloody fun.

It's a classic and on a lot of "best of all time" lists, but it's hard to explain to some people without them thinking that you're "weird"

I liked that movie a lot too! I've been meaning to read that series.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GuardianAngel87

Managed to finish Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company today. It was okay. Outside of an somewhat interesting concept of the war between The Rebel Alliance and The Empire through the viewpoint of soldiers of the former that fought in the trenches and a few chapters taking place during the one of the events of The Empire Strikes Back which is the Battle of Hoth, it's really nothing to write home about. I am currently on Star Wars: Thrawn on which I'm already up to its second chapter, soon to be on its third. After that's finished, it's onward to the next SW current continuity novel, The Weapon of a Jedi.

7. GuardianAngel87

Currently, I'm reading Star Wars: Moving Target. I already finished reading Thrawn, The Weapon of the Jedi and Smuggler's Run beforehand. Hopefully I'll be able to get this finished either tonight or tomorrow at the latest. After I'm done with it, the next current continuity SW novel I'm planning to read next is Heir to the Jedi. But before I do so, I'm going to take a bit of a break from the Disney canon for now and read the Empire and Rebellion duology (it was originally set to be a trilogy) starting with Honor Among Thieves.

8. FanboyX

FanboyX is a real boy

Discworld. Not very far in, but I'm digging it. The narrative reminds me of Douglas Adams. And who doesn't love an animated carry-all as a main character?

9. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Finished reading the Tales of Dunk and Egg while I was on vacation and it was pretty interesting to read about what the Seven Kingdoms were like during the Blackfyre rebellions with Bloodraven as Hand. I'm planning to start reading some of the older Stephen King novels next if I have some time before getting all my things ready to move in to college.

10. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Anyone here ever read the Warriors series?

11. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Read through almost all of those books while I was in middle school. I think I stopped when Omen of the Stars series concluded but I think another series came after that.

12. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Same. Still have the entire series. I also had most of the bigger books as well.

After not picking up the book for a year, i will continue reading Brisingr

13. GuardianAngel87

Finished reading Star Wars: Razor's Edge today and with it, the entire Empire and Rebellion duology from the old Expanded Universe. It's back to reading the Disney canon SW novels again with Heir to the Jedi and then followed by Bloodline. After that, it's Ahsoka.

14. GuardianAngel87

I finished reading Star Wars: Bloodline (also finished Heir to the Jedi beforehand) last night and it is pretty good despite my serious reservations towards due to it being a prequel novel to The Force Awakens, a Star Wars movie I seriously disliked and even downright hated and not just in or even as a comparison to the post-ROTJ materials from the old Expanded Universe and the book itself is pretty solid in its own right. *shudders* Now, I feel rather dirty.

Anyway, the SW novel I just started reading today is Ahsoka and after that's finished, it's onward to Aftermath. Yep, the rather infamous one that is considered one of the worst Star Wars novels of all time, new canon or otherwise. I really hope the Force is strong with me when I get there eventually. :( 

15. GuardianAngel87

I managed to finish Star Wars: Ahsoka last night and while it is not the best book it could've been given the spotlight character, it's definitely not one of the worst either. In general, I find it is fairly decent though a bit underwhelming in some places. I do liked the book well enough (it's certainly above some certain novels of the Disney canon for me) and I don't regret reading it and as for any and all Ahsoka fans out there, I would suggest borrowing it from the library first (that's how I've been reading the Disney canon Star Wars novels before and since) and once you're done with it, decide for yourself whether it's worth buying or not. If you do so though, I would not recommend paying full price for it even if you're a hardcore fan of her. Now, it's onward to Aftermath and may the Force be with me. *cue training montage*

16. Koroside

Koroside Member

Twitter:
    More Than This by Patrick Ness :D 

17. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Finished reading Brisingr. I picked up on July 15th at page I believe 200. There was about 730 pages total so it took me about 3 weeks to finsih. Didnt read it everyday but anyways,

A very good book. 10/10 IMO. Now ive begun to read Inheritance.

18. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I read the whole series back in 2013 (I want to reread it, but I keep waiting for the next book to maybe come out), and to be honest I find that while the writing is good, it leaves me with a really bitter taste. I know it's touted for its realism, and it has that in spades, but there's just nothing happy in the books. I think now that the show is off-book I've noticed a few lighter moments like
    Arya's chat with Ed Sheeran and his gang
    that I think really help it. If life sucks for the characters and they die off randomly after a certain point it stops being shocking and you stop caring.
    But maybe that's just me. :lol  Like I said, the actual writing is great (a bit flowery at times, but that's fantasy for ya), but there needs to be a few more moments of levity so when things get serious and dark there's a point of comparison. Oh, and he has to finish that last book already. :lol 

19. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

They're one of the first series of novels I started reading. I was 6 years old when I first picked them up-- in 2004, I believe? My mother and I would both enjoy them together.

I kept reading till Nightwhispers. I might pick the series back up this fall or winter when money is less tight and enjoy the new books out in the series.

20. Herought

Herought New Member

I'm reading japanese light novels..

• Like Like x 1