What are you reading (novel) and how is it?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rattrap007, Feb 3, 2016.

1. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We got so many other thread on listening to, anime, movies, etc why not one for books. Been mostly reading books that have TV shows or films based on them. Kinda want to see the differences. Read Zoo after season 1 and both are good,but different. The read Under the Dome. Book was way better.

Currently Reading The Running Man by Stephen King. It is a lot different than the film. Film is way better in my opinion. The book Ben Richards volunteers for the show and is on the run for days. He hides out across New England area. Public is rewarded for leads to his whereabouts. I think the gladiatorial aspect of the film works better. The book everyone is racist and the black people are written terribly racist. The book is simply ok. The film is awesome and cheesy. How can you go wrong with Arnold in the main role like that?

2. User_93049

User_93049 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Martian.

Planning on getting an audio book copy, this thing is great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the last book I read I finished in August but it was the Martian (I wanted to finish it before the movie came out) and it is FABULOUS obviously not everything that was in the book was in the movie so I still highly recommend reading the book even if you have seen the movie because there is a lot of stuff in the book that we didn't get to see in the movie. The book is also so scientifically detailed I am seriously wondering how we aren't on Mars already and if we do go to Mars I want to be right next to this author (Andy Weir) because he has it ALL figured out.

4. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

Always wanted a thread centering around books.

Anyway, I'm currently reading The Immortal Rules which is the first book in a trilogy called Blood of Eden by Julie Kagawa. So far, it's okay. Will read the next two after this at some point for the sake of completion.

5. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 "Ambitiose Sed Ineptum"

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I just finished reading "Starfighters of Adumar" by Aaron Allston. I've always enjoyed the entire X-wing series of novels, and it is one of my biggest annoyances that none of it counts anymore...

6. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I'm honestly not reading any novels at the moment. I started on "Collapse" by Jared Diamond, but its nonfiction.

I am very much looking forward to "The City Of Mirrors" by Justin Cronin. But it's not out till May.

7. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Well non-fiction is fine too. I just didn't want graphic novels included. Just books of text for entertainment.

Finished Running Man. Again it was pretty good. I just greatly prefer the film. Now I'm 2/3 of the way through The Mist. Really good so far.

Lately I've been reading books that had movies or Tv show adaptations.

Zoo - different over all but both are well done
    Under the Dome - book is way better
    Running Man - film >>> book
    The Mist - been a while since I saw the movie but both seem the same. Movie seemed very faithful.

8. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

If light Novels count, Spice & Wolf. This is one my most favorite novels of all times and I love the story and the characters and I enjoy how in-depth it is getting into character's minds and train of thought which is something that's VERY absent from the animated adaptation.

Remembering the anime, there were times that I did not understand how the economy works and how these choices and decisions are planned, but reading the novels it helped making things more clear and much more understandable that I can follow what's going on. Not to mention the anime skipped a very important arc in the middle that changed the course of the entire story and switched it from "Economy of the Book" to a set on chase for a specific target.

Still following the English language releases so I don't know much further into the plot and I really, REALLY don't want to know because spoilers and all.

9. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  10. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Recently I had to read the first chapter or so of John Milton's Paradise Lost for school. We're not going to finish it because that'll take up the rest of the year and for some reason I kept confusing it with The Inferno which is also about hell. I'll also be getting my copy of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley later this week and there's a chance we might watch one of the film versions when we're done reading the novel.

11. DiamondTiara

DiamondTiara Class President TFW2005 Supporter

I'm reading a novel called "Lyddie" for my ELA module, comes with tests and worksheets with it. The book is alright.

12. Gonzoite

Gonzoite Theoretician

Finished reading "Detroit: An American Autopsy" by Charlie LeDuff. Great read. LeDuff is a journalist who moved back to Detroit after 20 years and wrote about how horrible the city has gotten. He hung around with firefighters with an sub par equipment and working conditions. He also wrote about the mayoral scandal that took place with Kwame Kilpatrick. If anyone is a fan of Hunter S Thompson, his writings are gonzo-esque.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I just finished "Uncharted: The Fourth Labyrinth." It is a great book, and I would definitely recommend it to people who are fans of the games. It definitely captures the characters really well.

I'm a little busy because of schoolwork right now, but I plan to read "All You Need Is Kill" or "Ready Player One" next over Spring Break. I will probably catch up on some more of the Star Wars canon books over the Summer.

14. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

I'm bringing this thread back up, it seems. I'm not sure if this would be better for the Five Nights at Freddy's thread or not, but I might end up cross posting.

I just finished Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes. It's a good book, not amazing like some books I have read but it is far from the worst book I have ever read. I think I would categorize it as an "average, and you should read it if you are a fan."

The characters are mostly bland. There isn't much personality to go about them, with the exception of the main character
    and the murderer, who is so at home with his actions and the things he says that it's creepy.
    I could tell he was the villain from when he was first introduced. The main character has a story to tell, which keeps me engaged in her. It is also interesting to see children enjoying Freddy Fazbear's and having nostalgia over it when they hit their late teens/young adulthood. That was an angle I always wanted to see on display.
    I don't know what's with this John person, he seems to either be flirting with her (which is weird, because they are reuniting because of a tragedy) or is being heavily nostalgic with her. My money is on the flirting, if only because of things like John being the protagonist's childhood crush and a few more things I'll leave out.

Major spoilers ahead.
    Nobody dies.
    Once I began noticing that the deaths were all fake outs, it was hard to feel any suspense. It was always: character appears to die; others freak out; character turns out to be alive. I started to know they were going to make it out. Even a seemingly major leg injury is inconsequential.
    The character that did die was the villain, and he went out anticlimactically after killing only what was essentially a background character. I feel like Bonnie doing him in would have been better.

15. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Finished Cell by Stephen King. Pretty good take on a zombie story.

Just started 11/22/63. It seems like it will be awesome.

16. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Was re-reading Order of the Phoenix this weekend. I admit as a child I was a fast reader and probably didn't savor the book as much as I could've. Nowadays I can really appreciate what's going on, especially helped by the years of Internet analysis and discussions to help me out, the whole story being out, and the movies completed so I have a proper list of voices to hear in my head when I read a character's dialogue.

Though I like Michael Gambon's take on Dumbledore (that one GOF scene + some DH2 scenes, though those can be blamed on the script), I still hear Richard Harris' voice as Dumbledore unless I slap myself and try to hear Michael Gambon. For some reason I don't hear Harris in most of The Prince's Tale except in the scene explicitly set during SS.

Also I hear J. Pat O'Malley as Slughorn (since O'Malley played the similarly bumbling Colonel Hathi and the Walrus from Disney films) even after his wonderful portrayal from Jim Broadbent.

And as a kid I always made up this horrible, throaty voice for Voldemort that was the most evil thing I could think of since I genuinely feared him in the books. I have trouble abandoning it to this day. And for some reason I used the voice for Mad-Eye as well, but I've pretty successfully adopted Brendan Gleeson's voice (fitting because he's my favorite character).

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Jumper Cable by Piers Anthony.

I always enjoy his Xanth series. Too bad it took me a while to start this one, i've been easily sidetracked by other things.

There's already four more books (Mass market paperback edition) after this too...which I have them all.

18. KevinSig

KevinSig Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    These days, I don't read much. As I prefer the audiobook experience, and it's easier to do while working.

Recently, I've just finished Calamity, the 3rd book in Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series. Fairly fun, and a good ending for the series about a world with only super villans, and the humans who fight back. (Well sort of, but I won't ruin anything.)

Before that, I was into The Aeronaut's Windlass, by Jim Butcher. A fun steampunk-like story. Granted, it takes a bit for the story to get going, but its fun all the same.

19. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Still reading Frankenstein and I'm at the part where the Monster is telling Victor about the year he spent before the two of them greeted each other again. Everyone in class has already reached the consensus that the Monster is a waay better character than Victor and I have to agree since it feels like in the chapters where Victor is explaining how he created the Monster makes him sound a lot like a narcissist.

I checked out A Game Of Thrones by George R.R. Martin today and I looked up most of the characters with the exception of say 95% of the characters from the Night's Watch, almost everyone from Highgarden, Dorne who apparently don't come in until later, The Iron Islands, most of The Freys, and the numerous minor characters. I'm quite liking the books so far and I know the show is relatively consistent with the books but I haven't had the time to watch any of it with the exception of the
    Purple wedding episode.
    Also my friend offered to lend me his copy of the Dothraki to English dictionary but I'm not sure if I'll need it yet.

20. GuardianAngel87

GuardianAngel87 Well-Known Member

I'm slowly but surely making my way through The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken. I also finished reading Star Wars: The Old Republic: Revan a few weeks ago and it's pretty decent and it kind of makes me want to read the remaining Star Wars: The Old Republic tie-in novels. As of now, I'm currently waiting for four Star Wars: Jedi Apprentice books to arrive via inter-library loans.