What are you playing, and how's it going?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Chaos Muffin, Jul 19, 2008.

1. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, this is part of the M/W/F player guides episodes. We're still livestreaming REmake 2 tonight for Leon's B Story! I helped Nate get everything working on his end so we're good to go.

(I think Hannah is playing Castlevania SoTN after Nate beats Leons story but it'll be up to her).

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Started Yakuza 4 today. Not playing as Kiryu is interesting and weird. The guy I'm currently playing has some pretty cool moves and he has a bit of snark to him, which is great.

• Like Like x 2
  3. JamieBGood

JamieBGood Member

I've been getting back into Elite: Dangerous recently. Currently making my way to Sagittarius A* via the Eagle Nebula and Colonia.
    20210318185352_1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I have to say, Yakuza 4 is not gripping me like the other games. Initially, I liked the first dude I was playing as, but then his story started to get repetitive for me. The new guy I'm now controlling (who I thought was dead based on how they talked about him in 0) is slow, slugging, and boring. I also don't like that I lost EVERYTHING I had with the previous dude, so now I'm starting all over from scratch. Not just in stats, but also money and items I had in my inventory.

5. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

BOTW, have all the Divine Beasts, and the Master Sword, and just generally mucking around Hyrule.

• Like Like x 3
  6. gregles

gregles quintesson

Perhaps it’s lockdown inspiring me to do so but I’ve been putting a lot of time into several modern Metroid-vania style games so I will rate them below.

Bloodstained: ritual of the night 7/10. The level design is both pretty consistently fun and varied so it has it where it counts if you like this kind of game. There are some great little additions like turning levels upside-down but what let’s it down slightly for me is the art style and tone of the story seems to have an awkward and overthought combination of anime and slightly bland fantasy and combine this with the inconsistencies in terms of how it looks between 2D and 2.5D areas it makes the game appear a bit scruffy and unpolished. I feel this problem is further compounded with cluttering the game with some filler challenges like the making food one.

Blasphemous. 7/10 The first thing that is not hard to to be struck by with this game is how it looks. The very strange and grotesque take on Catholicism is both refreshingly different to the gothic norm of these games and also gives it a unique look for any video game to have. Some of the unusual creatures you encounter will be etched into my nightmares for a long time to come. Where the game falls down for me is how they seemed to fail to take any risks to elevate the gameplay beyond the norm as there is very little in this game that goes beyond the usual castlevania: symphony of the night formula. It has a few tasteful and confident decisions like leaving out a double jump but it feels a bit formulaic and unambitious by the time you get to the end.

Hallow Knight 10/10. This has to be one of the best games of any genre I’ve played in a long time as it does the rarest of things in that it gives you an insane amount of content and variety without spreading itself too thinly or giving you a watered down take on more committed games of a genre. The gladiator battles and some of the boss fights reveal the combat to be some of best this genre has to offer while if you get towards the path of pain area it try’s to out-do super meat boy at its own thing. The shear amount of hidden stuff to discover in this game out does pretty much everything in terms of exploration as it really does feel like it’s the gift that keeps giving. The beautiful and unique art style with the unusual storytelling also deserves a special mention for elevating this already exceptional game even further.

Dead cells: just got it so too early to say/10 I got this just after getting a bit bored with blasphemous so this feels refreshingly different and unusual splicing of the Metroidvania genre with fast paced run and gun platformer’s and randomiser level designs. Initially I wasn’t too pleased with any randomisers in these kind of games as I like exploring unique levels but now I’m beginning to get my head around combat and progression it all seems to fit together very perfectly in terms of game mechanics so I’ve got high hopes this could be a refreshingly different sub genre of the already niche Metroidvania sub genre. I also love the art style as it feels like a love letter to early video games where nothing had to make sense and that is okay.

Incidentally if anyone knows of any other modern hidden gems of this genre I can play on my PS4 please let me know as I would probably check them out next.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime WORLD CHAMPS! Chop on!

Hmmm, I just don't know what it is.
    I LOVE Metroidvanias, it's one of my favorite genres. Everyone and their grandmother says Hollow Knight is the mac daddy of the genre...but I just don't feel it. I played it for a while, got pretty far, but quit because I got bored. I have almost zero interest in going back to it. It's a weird combination of the tedium of taking forever to get anywhere with insanely difficult bosses. I must be one of the very few who don't like it.

Anyway, now that I'm done with DQXI (which was my obsession since Christmas), I can devote more time to the games I've been neglecting: Bioshock Collection, Final Fantasy X/X-2 Remaster, Nier Automata. I downloaded River City Girls as part of my birthday present, and it's pretty good, though not as amazing as Streets of Rage 4. The combat is really repetitive at the beginning because your move pool is so limited. Now that I've unlocked more moves it's become more fun. I like the pixel art and animation, graphical style, and overall attitude. What I don't like is the sound effects; your moves have no impact at all because the "hit" sound is like someone scraping sandpaper.

9. gregles

gregles quintesson

Thanks for the tips and I will probably give some of them a go when dead cells is done with destroying my thumbs.

I tend to prefer games that graphically reference the 16 bit era rather than the 8 bit as I have more nostalgia for then but I’m willing to give some of them the effort they deserve.

• Like Like x 1
  10. That Guy

News Credits:
    Oh yes Mummy Demastered is awesome!

We just got to our first dungeon in Zelda Link's Awakening and here's where I'm wondering how Hannah will handle things...

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    My review for Yakuza Kiwami 2:

• Like Like x 2
  12. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Sorry, I just look very gouda. That was cheesy.

• 4 and ahold years later, and Titanfall 2 is still so much goddamn fun. I recently played it, and damn, Respawn can do no wrong.
    • Persona 4, I have yet to complete it, but that game is killer!
    • Iconoclasts, decent gameplay, fantastic story and characters.
    • Doom 64 came to Game Pass on PC recently, and I've been playing a lot of classic Doom.
    • Of course my goto games Roblox and Smash Bros been good.
    • I've been emulating tons of PS2 games, and they aged well years later.
    To play list:
    • Persona 5 Strikers
    • Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse
    • Crash Bandicoot 4
    • Super Mario Maker 2
    • Shin Megami Tensei 3 HD
    There's more I wanna play, but this is what's on my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Finally finished Saejima's section of yakuza 4 and damn I am glad to be past him. I hated this section. Worse though, I hate this character swapping. All of the items I needed to do some of Saejima's tasks are stuck in Akiyama's inventory, so I'm screwed at the moment. Thus, I just went ahead and moved on to the next character's stuff. Tanimura is much better so far, though I'm sure there are going to be things I won't be able to do right now since items are probably also with Akiyama.

14. xKAINxCAINx

xKAINxCAINx Goonies Never Die!

Had some downtime to play sword and shield today, did some adventure raids and this happened!
    CDD3E431-B3FF-4A47-B1D8-47839CD924CF.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  15. DrWho42

DrWho42 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    spore (2008). achievement unlocked:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  16. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Playing the Arkham Asylum remaster (?) on the PS4 and still find the game enjoyable. What’s not enjoyable is that I’m suffering from motion sickness...something I never experienced when I played the original release years ago.

17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd check the refresh rate on your display/monitor/whatever you're using. If it's a TV, make sure it's in Game Mode (it'll slow down and lock the frames to 60 or 120 if it's a higher refresh rate panel) instead of varying the refresh rate. Are you using the PSVR to play it? I'd try the PS4 on a different display and see if that helps if nothing else does.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Well I finished Tanimura's section of Yakuza 4 and am now nearly done with Kiryu's. I messed up earlier and completed his second chapter before doing his side missions, so I've got a butt load of sidequests to do with him in his final chapter.

19. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

There's a few things to try - the frame rate and latency changes can help, along with the viewing angle/distance, screen brightness, and room brightness.

Also, (and this isn't intended to be offensive) but age is also a factor. Just about everyone I know who games/did game and has come back to it now has some degree of it, especially with flight sim and FPS games. It takes time to train it back up, and you can, just small doses. but epic hours long gaming runs in crappy light when you're tired are kind of out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. That Guy

News Credits:
    Just beat her first Zelda Dungeon and now it's time to explore more of Koholint Island!

• Like Like x 1