What are you afraid of?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autovolt 127, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Prime Jetscream

Prime Jetscream HE PULLS THE STRINGS AND HE MAKES THEM RING

News Credits:
    Snakes...

Mostly because my house is messed up and I've had 2 in my house before, one got stuck on tape but I know for a fact it came through the seams between the wall and my door. D:

2. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Tanks in Left 4 Dead. Had another one appear with no warning, giving me no time to react.

3. Starscream600

Starscream600 Certified Virtual Pilot

You should try Amnesia. Once a zombie popped out of nowhere and I got the shock of my entire life.

Also to add on to my fears:

A game called SCP: Containment Breach. Played it for 10 minutes and I didn't want to play it anymore. ;_;

4. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I know you better than you may think. So do a lot of other people. Some things are the same no matter where you go in the world. They're called "innate truths." "You don't know me" is a common fearful response whenever someone's hit the nail right on the head. Your reaction is a typical response to someone hearing a deep down truth that they're well aware of but wish it weren't so.

Thanks for being so open and honest. It's a rare trait and a sign of great courage that's within you. What would happen if you would just go up to people and start talking? Would it be the end of the world if they weren't interested in chatting? I know there's that initial "cold shoulder" that many people put up whenever someone new approaches them. Just look at that as a stupid, silly, selfish human defect built into most of us. The silly thing is that once that initial 2 minutes of defensiveness passes, things warm up very vast. Just have a "f**k it!" attitude and talk to everybody. Say "Hello" to strangers on the street. Study people. Watch how shy, anti-social and defensive they are. After you do this with enough random people, you'll start to learn just how little their reaction to you actually matters. You'll stop thinking that everything is so high-stakes, and be able to just relax and enjoy the moment.

The sad thing is that most things are not dangerous or potentially life-threatening. Spiders aren't life-threatening. If people choose to focus on the very few that are, then they're being exceptionists. There's always going to be exceptions, but it's unhealthy to focus on those. Most of these fears are all about not being embarrassed in front of other people (whose opinions don't actually matter) or blowing things out of proportion (a fall from a ladder most likely won't kill you, but many people with a fear of heights think that it'll be like falling off of a building).

No shame taken, and I disagree with you, I believe that post was motivational. A lot of people get too sensitive when it comes to areas that they are, in fact, able to improve on, but it's them who feel the shame of not being able to take the steps necessary to improve it. The biggest step to overcoming fears is to stop being so sensitive. It's the ego that says "Hey, that's offensive! My feelings are hurt!" Those who aren't held in the grips of egotism never get offended, because they know it just doesn't matter. They're not at the mercy of other people in terms of when they'll be happy or upset. They control their own feelings, as well as their fears. Think about that next time something scares you or pisses you off. Did you let it? Should you have?

5. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Spiders. Fucking hate them.

6. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Just ignore the guy.
    As for your friends, don't worry about them getting tired of you. They are friends with you for all of the whatever positive traits you have and will stay friends with you as long as you remember that friendship goes two ways.

Chuck

7. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

I have a question for you.

Are you a practicing psychologist?

8. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I'll answer your question truthfully if you answer one of mine: Why do you always ask this question whenever someone "thinks deeper" or asks "deep questions?" Are the only people you've ever encountered or heard of that have done this psychologists?

9. Arbitron

Arbitron Banned

No.

Its just that it almost feels like you're a student doing a test on the boards, asking somewhat invasive questions to get some reactions to study the human mind.

But I'm probably wrong.

10. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Thank you for answering truthfully.

To answer your question definitively: No, I'm not a psychologist, nor am I a student studying to be one. I'm just a "regular Joe" working a regular job. Despite that, I've discovered that it's okay to "think deeper" even if you're not a psychologist. It just seems to be frowned upon. :) 

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

Yes, it does seem to be frowned upon. doesn't it?

12. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

I wonder why people are so afraid of it?

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Thinking deep isn't frowned on here, but badgering people is.

14. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Mmm, basically this. I'm terrified just being at the hospital or doctor's office. To the point of having white coat hypertension, increased blood pressure in a clinical setting. Always worried they'll find something... Something terrible which would require surgery.
    Also despise the dentist. Dental work in general is just uncomfortable... Also worried about those dicks. Maybe they'll finally have to bust out the drill or something.

I also have mild trypophobia, if that counts as a fear...

15. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Welcome to my topic. Unfortunately your contribution is not on-topic. This is not badgering, just the truth. If anyone is doing the badgering in this situation, it's you. Why not just add me to your ignore list instead of "badgering" me? Not that I care about anything you have to say anymore. I don't consider it badgering or offensive. Just pathetic that you don't see your own hypocrisy. And no, "pathetic" isn't an insult, no matter how much it makes your blood boil. It's a description. Just to be absolutely clear on what I mean, I'm using it as defined by the dictionary: causing or evoking pity, sympathetic sadness, sorrow, etc.; pitiful; pitiable: a pathetic letter; a pathetic sight, miserably or contemptibly inadequate.

Sounds like your fear of pain or suffering is very strong. You do realize that pain is usually temporary, and can be controlled to a great extent with focus and concentration, don't you? As the old saying goes, "No pain, no gain."

16. MetalRyde

you are trying to force your help on people who did not ask for help.

17. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

Incorrect. You're blowing things out of proportion by using the word "force." Maybe if you stopped being so dramatic about the littlest little thing, you wouldn't get into so many arguments and be frustrated. I haven't knocked on anybody's door and demanded they follow my advice. If you think a suggestion on a message board is "forcing," then you need to re-evaluate your communication and interpretation skills.

That's a suggestion, not a "force." :) 

18. MetalRyde

:lolol 

19. Brave Convoy

Brave Convoy Banned

:crazy:  I'm not frustrated and I don't feel I'm arguing with anyone, only discussing. Those who have only chosen to ignorantly and childishly argue have been added to my ignore list (welcome to it, by the way). But hey, if believing that I am soothes your ego, do what you need to do to get through the day.

20. MetalRyde

i never said you the one who was arguing or frustrated.

you made the assumption that i was somehow frustrated or that i get into many arguments.

i don't get frustrated on the internet. nor do i get into arguements. as you said were are having a discussion. but you fail to understand or ignore to understand what im trying to say.

you made a thread asking people what they are afraid of. they did that and then you decided to give them advice that they didn't not ask for and you believe that you think you qualify to give people deep advice. are you a professional? do you have a right tell a complete stranger what they should do? do you want to fly? can you fly, bobby?