What are the best IDW comics periods?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Sep 23, 2018.

?

What are the best IDW comics periods?

1. Simon Furman and the "-ations" era

29.2%
  2. Shane McCarthy and "All Hail Megatron"

7.7%
  3. Mike Costa and "The Transformers"

5.4%
  4. James Roberts, John Barber and "Phase Two" (Season 1)

69.2%
  5. Post-Dark Cybertron, Mairghread Scott and "Windblade" (Season 2)

24.6%
  6. "Revolution" (Season 3)

11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the release of the latest issues, has anyone changed his mind?

2. onefromthedark

onefromthedark Target Master

Phase two season one is still legendary (regardless of how i feel about there conclusions). Sometimes one of the worst things to happen to a franchise is fans get involved. Transformers is a franchise where when fans get involved it genuinely shines. And we also saw that when people don't care for it, it can really suffer. I still think Mike Costa is the worst thing to happen to this series. For all the things i did not like in Barber's later run it was "mostly" stuff established in Costa's run. I'll give Barber props for working with what he had instead of constant retcons like i would have done.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

MTMTE and RID should have been separate. Roberts is a far superior writer to Barber who was more promising before he brought the story to Earth and focussed too much on humans since.

He ruined Prowl and Thundercracker. He made Prowl too much of a prick like Furman before him and the screen writing, dog lover he turned TC into was terrible.

Mike Costa was the one who made Thundercracker interesting and Swindle and Hot Rod for that matter.

The early Furman stuff was mostly good though he ruined his two best villains from the Marvel comics. He stripped Thunderwing of his most interesting trait, his Matrix affinity, and turned him into the soulless monster of the soulless Stormbringer.

He also turned Scorponok into a one dimensional villain.

Regeneration was a slap in the face to fans waiting 2 decades for a continuation of the Marvel comics. It ignored the far superior G2 comics and turned the previously interesting Headmaster Spike into a third rate version of Circuit Breaker, herself a third rate villain.

There was too much focus on the usual G1 headliners like Optimus, Kup and the Wreckers. Megatron was almost as big a joke as Wildman's dated and empty artwork.

It would have been nice to see character models based on contemporary toys. Soundwave's been back on Cybertron 20 years, surely he'd use his War for Cybertron body rather than keeping the useless tape recorder mode.

Also would have been nice to see newer characters like Kick Off and Acid Storm in the spotlight though Furman isn't great at characterisation.

Overall, Roberts and Roche's comics were the highlights of IDW, with Roche proving himself as good a writer, if not better, as he is an artist. It's a crime that Roche wasn't given writing duties on some of the on going series.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Half-mummy, half-vampire, half-nerd

I really enjoyed Simon Furman's series of books. I can't get into the other ones. Not bad just fine.

5. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

The Roberts, Barber, Scott era. It introduced me to TF comics. I tried reading the spotlights and -ations and I just couldn't get into them. Not saying they're bad, mind you, I just couldn't get into them. I have yet to finish AHM.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Αἰών

News Credits:
    IDW had a strong start, it truly began to descend in terms of quality around the time of Post-Dark Cybertron. That isn't to say there weren't not-so good stories before that, but that's when the quality really began to disappear, it was a slow development over time. There are still some good stories we got during that period, but there was just less of them as time went on.

• Like Like x 1
  7. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    Placing Roberts and Barber under one check box isn't right. So I just selected Furman's "-ation" run only.

8. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i really enjoyed all hail megatron, but phase two reigns supreme...

...the tail end of the furman era had some really intriguing worldbuilding coupled with pretty hack-job storytelling; it was interesting to read but not really good comics, served as a reasonably epic foundation for phase two...

9. oturan

oturan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where should I go to read the comics for the best budget value?

10. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...the IDW collection hardcovers, commonly discounted around $35 apiece, are a surprisingly tough deal to beat: great value for the money by any metric, and precompiled into a comprehensive reading order to boot...

...occassionally you can find digital bundles heavily-discounted on special, but the regular price for digital releases doesn’t save much by comparison to the dead-tree editions...

11. Lucas35

News Credits:
    It is because they have been published at the same time and complement each other.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    -ation, since it's pretty close to what comics were like in the 80s.

• Like Like x 1
  13. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    One is a compliment and the other's an insult. What Barber did with Unicron at the end of the run was almost as lame as what that TF Prime show did to'em.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Chiller

Chiller Failed Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ok, who the hell voted for Costa? I'm assuming sarcasm or accidental clicks. I understand the reasons to why any of the other eras are the best, but Costa? Really?

15. Lucas35

News Credits:

[​IMG]

16. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    It did some interesting stuff. Costa is somewhat responsible for MTMTE making Magnus so cool.

17. Lucas35

News Credits:
    It has been 15 years since the first story of the continuity was published. Are people's opinions still the same?

18. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Half-mummy, half-vampire, half-nerd

I think everyone's perspectives are still consistent. Simon Furman's run was good, All Hail Megatron was awesome, the 2009 series felt like filler, MTMTE was good until season 2, RiD was... meh, Lost Light was hit or miss, and Optimus Prime isn't liked by some people.
    I have not read pass Dark Cybertron, but these are the most agreed on opinions.

19. Rojixus

Rojixus WE. ARE NOT. THE DECEPTICONS!!

The -ations era, IDW went straight to hell after it ended.

• Like Like x 1
  20. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

I really liked IDW up to MTMTE and Lost Light. Police Action is one of my favorite Transformer stories.

• Like Like x 1