What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. grindcore138

grindcore138 桐生会は不滅なり!

News Credits:
    Well, sort of.
    For what it's worth, the ending of what turned out to be Part 1 would've still be been a proper, satisfying ending that wrapped up the main story even if the sequel series hadn't been announced. Like a self-contained movie that hits you with a sneaky post-credits sequel-hook.
    Literally nothing is known about Part 2 though. When it'll start, any kind of plot details, it's all a mystery for now.

2. Codeveronicaxxx

Codeveronicaxxx Goddomasuta member

News Credits:
    Just finished Nagatoro san and it was just so wonderful! The humor, ecchi and love story were very satisfying to watch. It was so Ke’ai and heart warming.

3. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Killed slime for 300 yrs ended, I'm gonna miss it since it was my feel good show of the season.

Yu-Gi-Oh progress, after Duelist Kingdom there were2 mini-arcs that weren't centered on the card game, Legendary Heroes and Dungeon Dice Monsters. I've gotten to the ep where Kaiba gets Obelisk so the Battle City tournament looms ever closer.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    A shame they pretty much turned DDM into just Duel Monsters in the anime as opposed to what it was in the manga. Not to mention they altered the plot and gave Ryugi's dad's role to Bandit Keith.

5. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I watched the 1st Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha movie. It was just a recap of season 1. I still enjoyed it. Some much English in this show.

6. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Random question: are there any relatively recent, good, "ship-based" (no humanoid mecha) sci-fi anime out there? Admittedly I haven't been keeping up on that specific type of show, but the last ones I can really think of off-hand are Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star.

7. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199. It is one of my favorites period. The show is from 2012.

8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Starship Operators
    is a decent, and lesser-appreciated show.

The basic plot setup has a young trainee crew set out on the maiden voyage with a new, top-of-the-line starship. A sudden military of coup leaves them stranded in space with no port of return, so they're forced to venture deeper into space in search of a friendly port to take them in. Enemies come out of the woodwork to commandeer the ship and its new technologies for themselves, and the kids have to do everything within their power to survive.

Tying into the early 2000s zeitgeist, when the show was made, the kids are forced to make a contract with a TV crew to receive funding for supplies, turning their life-and-death story into a live reality TV show.

It's an interesting mish-mash of styles, but the show and script take themselves remarkably seriously. The ship-to-ship combat is quite hard sci-fi in nature, and the reality TV gimmick factors heavily into the combat strategy. It's only downside is that it's a mere 13 episode series, so a lot of its dramatic twists and turns come quick, with not enough time to really let some bits simmer.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  10. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

11. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I watched the 2nd Nanoha movie and it was better than the 1st.

13. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 INSTANCE ABREACTION

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Rewatched Gridman and finished Dynazenon earlier this month. These two shows are beautiful, to say the very least. With how close to home the messages and themes hit, the subtlety of the animation, direction, and dialogue, and reworking and reimagining an old tokusatsu to tell a poignant story by mixing old and new concepts is just amazing and un-TRIGGER-like in its subtelty, in a good way, yet still TRIGGER-like in that TRIGGER is very open to new things. It's inspired me to start writing an anime reimagining/sequel to Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers in my own way, obviously inspired by these two shows but I have a head full of new ideas. Thank you, Akira Amemiya.

(Yomogi x Yume is the couple of the season and Mujina is best girl don't @ me)

• Like Like x 1
  14. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Finally caught up on the Index franchise, and finished Railgun T recently.

Daihaisei arc was better and more dramatic than I was expecting, considering its parent arc in the Index series. Although it runs into the classic spin-off/expansion issue where so much stuff gets crammed into that narrow time window that you start wondering how it all works. Index made it seem like all of Touma's time was spent dealing with Oriana Thompson and St. Peters' sword, but somehow he has time to bail Misaka out again as well? That jackass Baba also didn't get nearly enough immediate comeuppance for what he did to my poor girl Mitsuko Kongou (although things really don't go well for him in the end, with his next canonical appearance in Index III).

Dream Ranker arc was sort of fun, but it was a hard story arc to follow overall since so many of the peripheral plot points tie into the Accelerator series, or Index III, and so it gets hard to peg down some of the motivations for the side characters.

The first two Railgun seasons were definitely better overall, if only because they functioned better as stand-alones. Railgun T winds up playing a lot of catch-up, finally synchronizing the spin-off's timeline with its parent series, but then leaves a bunch of weird narrative gaps that are followed up on elsewhere. Still a much better season than the rushed mess that was Index III, however.

Now here's hoping that there's not another 7-8 year wait for another season of Index-verse. They've still got a ton of material they can adapt. None of the usual trouble with manga/novel adaptations of them catching up to the source material.

I do sort of wonder if the Power Rangers franchise will head in that direction sometime in the future. I do believe there were some behind-the-scenes talks of that awhile ago (perhaps back when BoA/Saban was doing the Mighty Morphin' rehash?). But with Hasbro taking over the IP, they've been sort of stuck in this unenviable position where the current Japanese output doesn't really fit with American tastes. So I'm not sure how they plan to keep it going.

15. Cyberbot8460

Cyberbot8460 INSTANCE ABREACTION

10 miles away from you and rapidly approaching
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Funimation and Netflix.

16. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Is it dubbed on Funimation?

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Dynazenon was not simul-dubbed. There is a dub coming, though.

18. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Lame, so I'll just wait until it's out on BD. Thanks.

19. Revoticus

Revoticus Big Combaticon fan

I watched the entirety of Code Geass side story, Akito the exiled and came out of it feeling perplexed...

Doesn't it feel like the story took a different turn during the third movie? I thought they were going to do more with the Japanese bigotry in their country but it felt like that was forgotten and replaced with more philosophical rambles and Geass stuff.

Granted, Code Geass was always more philosophical rather than political so I should have expected that but the first two movies felt a bit more grounded and sets up something a bit different than the main series...

Didn't like the ending, it kinda implies that it's okay to give up on what you're fighting for as long as you are happy for now which I guess is a more realistic and unconventional message but it really leaves nothing accomplished on the grand scale of the world which I guess why it's a side story.

Maybe I'm getting the wrong messages from this movie, could anyone else who watched this movie give their two cents on it?

The fights look cool, I didn't expect to like it considering it's done with CG which I usually dislike.

20. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Akito The Exiled suffers from being a prequel to Season 2 and therefore having to end in a manner that is suitable for Season 2.

I'm not sure about a message though. I never thought of any message from it one bit.