What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You know, it's been a while seen I've seen a favorite's list here. What is everyone's top 3 series/movies/OVAs?

Mine are:

Series:
    1. Gankutsuou
    2. Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
    3. Escaflowne
    Movies:
    1. Princess Mononoke
    2. Redline
    3. Perfect Blue
    OVAs:
    1. Le Portrait de Petite Cossette
    2. Ninja Scroll
    3. Gundam Unicorn

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah, I can't wait for the pay off for the in medias res from episode 1. I just find it funny that, as I'm going to say again a bit later in this post, that for the past 7 years the only anime I've watched has just been Gundam series, OVAs, and movies. As far as non Gundam, it's only been Konosuba and then Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. Funny how Kabaneri is also Studio Wit and is also fucking phenomenal.

Going to be hard picking just three for each but here we go:

Series:
    Gundam. I'm just going to say Gundam as a whole. There's some shit series out there, but there's more amazing than good. Just holy shit Gundam defines my anime experience now. For the last 7 years or so the only anime I've really finished from start to finish have been Gundam series. While Gundam was never my first anime...I have Akira and Vampire Hunter D through the Sci-Fi Channel in the 90s to thank for that, I can safely say that I'm a fanboy for Gundam on orders of magnitude more than non Gundam anime as a whole.
    Cowboy Bebop. I had a bunch of things I wanted to put into this spot. Konosuba. Card Captor Sakura. Gun Gale Online. But I felt that for the no.2 spot it had to go to Bebop. Bebop takes you through so much. We live alongside our characters, their highs and lows and struggles. In the end, we have to remember that we will carry that weight. Bebop defined my night time anime experience on Adult Swim. Throughout the course of a few years I finally finished it up. What a goddamn good series.
    Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song. My god why aren't you watching this. I haven't seen an anime deal with the concept of AI, the dichotomy of human experience vs artificial experience, and the concept of singularity in an anime with this much punch and emotion in it. Studio Wit has really come a long way since adapting Attack on Titan and have really grown as a studio that is absolutely worth paying attention to.

OVA:
    MD Geist(and MD Geist II: Death Force). My god Geist is a wild ride. It's dated. It's pretty shit. It's sexist and offensive. But goddamn it I love it. It's such a good example of what this slice of the anime world was all about. Visual spectacles that valued shocking your watcher rather than providing a quality story. Plus, MD stands for "Most Dangerous." In the story it's a class of super soldier genetically enhanced to be total badasses...but they're all literally psychotic pieces of shit, and Geist, an MD, is our protag, haha. MD Geist is pretty significant historically. It was literally the poster boy of the company US Manga Corps, the anime distribution arm of Central Park Media. Oh yeah, and it got a sequel that's even more garbage than the first!
    Cyber City Oedo 808. Japanese cyberpunk has a special place in my heart. While Western Cyberpunk often dealt with xenophobia of the Asian tech world dominating the world, Japanese Cyberpunk instead deals with themes of the rise of technology and how it interacts or subverts the traditional culture of Japan. Cyber City is a product of this theming, showing a Japan that's so riddled with technology that naturally people will just want to do evil with it. It's a Suicide Squad style format. Evil tech villains and terrorists need to be stopped by a group of felons with bomb collars. Succeed the mission and they have time taken off. Fail, or if the mission timer runs out, them off with your heads. Well worth a watch.
    FLCL. Can't talk about OVAs without throwing this one out there. A killer soundtrack, killer visuals, and a story deep and easy to take in at the same time. It's effectively a barebones coming of age story that's wrapped in such awesomeness that you think you're watching something completely different. If you've never actually seen this then do yourself a favor and fix that problem.

Movies:
    Redline. For many, I think this is going to be top billing. What an experience. A simple story carried by the visuals and a character design that is absolutely out of this world. Words can't properly describe this movie. Like with any high octane race it must be watched.
    Kimi no na wa. Makoto Shinkai is a master of emotional weight. My first foray into Shinkai's films, though I was aware of him since his films Voices of a Distant Star and The Place Promised in Our Early Days. This is another movie that I feel would be a disservice to just talk about. It's something that absolutely needs to be watched!
    Summer Wars. Like with the series, I had a difficult time really picking something and excluding others, because goddamn there's a lot of good films out there. But if I had to just pick one more, I'd go for Summer Wars. Amazing visuals, premise, story, character design, and musical direct. Just watch this!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

Series:

1- Gundam 00/G Gundam
    2- Overlord
    3- Toradora!

OVA

1- Yukikaze
    2- Gundam 0080
    3- Armored Hunter Mellowlink

Movies:

1- 00: A wakening of the Trailblazer
    2- Five Star Stories
    3- Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion Story

• Like Like x 1
  4. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Tough question listing my favorites.

Series
    -Gundam. Put a gun to my head I'd say its Re;Rise but that basically changes with my mood...
    -Uma Musume. Cygames' new cash cow franchise with two surprisingly good seasons. Hoping they put out a third.
    -Madoka Magica. Magical girls with a dark twist. Watched this without any spoilers and it really surprised me.

OVA
    -Gundam 0080. Yes, Gundam makes an appearance once again...
    -Fragtime. A Yuri OVA about a girl that can stop time.
    Macross Plus- really enjoyed the aerial fights in this one, plus the soundtrack too.

Movie
    -Girls und Panzer der film. Take the cool stuff from the anime and ramp it up to eleven.
    -Black Fox. Kind of like a superhero origin story, except we never got more content afterwards.
    Love Live movie- the end of Muse. Really enjoyable, love the songs. Sunny day song!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  6. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    :lol  I don't really watch series that I don't own on a physical disc. It's very rare I watch something streaming, though, Netflix is starting to make it hard not to since they don't seem to be releasing stuff on physical media, which is getting very annoying.

I haven't watched MD Geist since the days of VHS when I first got into anime back in 1998.

7. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Series:
    1. Evangelion
    2. Zeta gundam
    3. Dragon Ball
    Movies:
    1. Laputa: Castle in the Sky
    2. Children of the Wolf
    3. Akira
    OVAs:
    1. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
    2. Getter Robo Armageddon
    3. New Getter Robo

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Having finished Cutie Honey (1973) some weeks ago, I continued with Cutie Honey Flash. The change in style is quite jarring, as this is animated by the same studio who did Sailor Moon - and the show is more Sailor Moon in style too, with some focus on school and Honey's friends there, as well as adding a Tuxedo Mask style love interest with the Twilight Prince (he even tosses flowers as his signature move and is ever so mysterious). The show is far longer and the plot deeper this time - while we are still thrown into the thick of the action, except Honey's dad doesn't die just gets kidnapped, and she still doesn't know she is an android.
    Seiji is a private eye in this one, not a reporter, and Danbei is not his dad - he is the principal of Honey's school. Junpei is thankfully nowhere to be seen, I don't miss the little perv for sure!
    Sister Jill is in this from the get-go, so I expect she will do more than in the original anime.

• Like Like x 1
  9. YellowCorvette

YellowCorvette Average Core Gundam enjoyer

News Credits:
    There will be some unusual picks here (And TBH, most of the animes I've watched these few years are Gundam-related), but here there are:

Series:
    • Mobile Fighter G Gundam
    • Love Live (As a whole)
    • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (As a whole)
    Movies:
    • Love Live Sunshine!! The Movie
    • Howl's Moving Castle
    • Mobile Suit Gundam 00: Awakening of the Trailblazer
    OVA:
    • Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise
    • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
    • Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Watched both Gundam Hathaway's Flash and Princess Principal Crown Handler today. They're both part 1 of a movie series, coincidentally enough.

Animation on Hathaway was good, the mechs were all CG and a lot of the action was dimly lit but I still enjoyed it. The Davao segments were done quite well, they look quite believable to be something in the Philippines.

Princess principal I probably should have refreshed myself on the characters and story first, but it was great seeing Ange, Princess and the rest of the gang again.

11. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I've watched Geist a dozen times now, Death Force a littl less. It's definitely one of my favorite pieces of late 80s-early 90s garbage!

I'd just completed another watch of it a day before this post lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Was taking some pictures of our DVD/BD collection this morning, so here is the anime side of things:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Series:

1. Gurren Lagann
    2. Fate/Zero
    3. Steins;Gate

Movies (if we’re including series-related films):

1. Steins;Gate: Load Region of Deja Vu
    2. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
    3. Non Non Biyori: Vacation

OVAs (I’ll just include OVA series rather than standalone episodes for existing shows):

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
    2. Gundam Unicorn
    3. Planetarian

Could always bump the old “Rank your Completed Anime” thread if people have an interest in that

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Series
    1. Clannad After Story
    2. Toaru Kagaku no Railgun S
    3. K-on!

Movies
    1. Kimi no Na wa
    2. Mononoke Hime
    3. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya

OVA
    1. Yamato 2199
    2. Gundam Unicorn
    3. Gundam 0080

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Our new Righstuf order arrived:

[​IMG]

16. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am watching Non Non Biyori. It is the funniest thing I have seen in ages. Renge is the best.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:

19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I finish Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha last night. It was a pretty good ending. Now on to A's.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    C8D1963F-B7B8-4175-B084-FA2106FE8549.png

I just finished The Hidden Dungeon Only I Can Enter, and while it was not in anyway groundbreaking.... I loved it. Each and every episode was really fun, and they weren’t afraid to vary it up a little. Sometimes the main protagonist is the only member of the “main cast” to appear, and I love that.

Like I said before, it’s a really simply story with a setting we’ve all seen before, but it’s fun, and the characters are all fun. I switched over to the english dub for the third episode and was glad I did, as the cast did a fine job. Also Brianna Knickbocker voiced a blonde character and Cristina Vee voiced a blond loli. That alone is enough.