What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Please don't call Nadesico obscure... :(  That's one of my all-time favorites.

Probably could have had a second season, too, if the movie hadn't done so badly.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wouldn't really call Nadesico "obscure", because it's a name that always comes up. But it's sort of an also-ran among its late 90s contemporaries, behind other series like Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, and maybe Outlaw Star. Possibly because I don't believe it had a Toonami release.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CyberBlade507

It actually did have a Toonami release... but only two episodes during Giant Robot Week, as I recall (and rather randomly selected episodes from near the beginning and end of the series, as I recall).

Side note, I think that's how I originally heard about the series.

• Like Like x 1
  4. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

The movie had some beautiful environmental art, but in order to really understand "Prince of Darkness" apparently playing a Japanese-exclusive SEGA Dreamcast game was required.
    I pretty much followed Toonami from 1998 (when my mother would drop my kid sisters and I off at my grandmother's where I would watch DBZ with my Cousin) when it was a weekday-afternoon programming block to TOM's final sign-off on the night of Saturday September 20th, 2008.... I can't say I ever saw it on Toonami. I only know about Nadesico because my stepfather brought it with him when he moved in with my mother in 2005.

Thanks for the clarification, CyberBlade507

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kind of have a soft spot for dai-guard after watching it on toonami. No one remembers it today much.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    I rewatched all of Sound of the Sky the past two days. These 14 episodes just flew by, even with the last two being longer than average!

I’m really glad I did decide to watch it again after 6 years, since while I did recall most of the big story beats, I did forget a number of the supporting characters (even Yumina, despite her showing up all the time). Even though most things are wrapped up by the end, I can’t help but wish this got a second season. There’s still plenty they could explore if they wanted to, especially
    the “angel” skeleton

It’s just such a charming little show. Unique setting, likable characters, darker moments you’d never expect on the surface, and a heart-warming resolution.

I strongly implore anyone who hasn’t seen it to give it a shot. It’s not solely a “cute girls doing cute things” show if you’re someone who’s put-off by that genre. I’d be overjoyed to see this show get the love it deserves.

Just please don’t be one of those people who complains about the Romans speaking German, when they’re the Holy Roman Empire. Looking through YouTube and episode comments and seeing this be brought up as an issue really depresses me.

7. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am watching Osananajimi ga Zettai ni Makenai Love Comedy. It has been a pretty good series.

8. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Just started Banner of the Stars. I'd seen Crest of the Stars before.

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

10. CyberBlade507

Do I even want to know what specifically happened that resulted in this being made?

Also, "again"? Has this happened with Evangelion before? Or is it just a typical "stupid people are sending death threats over stupid things" deal?

11. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, it's happened with Eva before. Hideaki Anno received death threats years ago when the original Eva series ended.

12. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Yes, it happened before. Fans were unsatisfied with what they saw because it didn't go with their theories. The same thing that happened when Evangelion TV series ended because it wasn't the ending they wanted and sent death threats to Hideaki Anno and Gainax.

13. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I started Flying witch and High School Fleet last night. Flying witch was what I was expecting. High School Fleet blew my mind, I thought it would be like Girls und Panzer.

14. CyberBlade507

Watched Project A-ko for the first time. Fun movie, if too heavy on the panty shots.

Along those lines, though, I find I kind of miss the word choices/diction of old (roughly 80s to early or mid 90s, I guess) anime dubs. That, and that certain kind of audio quality. Weird thing to ask, but anybody have any suggestions for old and/or obscure series with dubs that might fit that bill?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka? has been great week to week. I love this show, especially Yuuki Aoi. I decided to read the light novel for it now.

16. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Do you mean like the slang of the decade? If so, ADV had included some 70s slang into their Gatchaman dub.

17. CyberBlade507

Not so much slang. At least, not necessarily or only that. It's more like... how people in media from the 30s speak a bit differently from media in the 60s? I guess it's kind hard for me to explain without picking out specific lines, and examples aren't coming immediately to mind at the moment.

I don't know, the more I try to think of the way to explain it, the more I wonder if my brain is overemphasizing little things.

18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  19. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

"Parts and labor are through the roof but pilots still need to be paid."

I never watched the full series but I loved the meta humor.

ADV's dubs always had some obscure freestyle to them, "Ghost Stories" being the obvious title.

I just restarted "GODANNAR!" and it's one of my favorites when it comes this kind of dubbing.
    Take a couple of examples from the Dannar Base bridge bunnies Momoko and Konami concocting a desperation plan:

Original Japanese: "What are you crazy!??" Dub: "Are you on CRACK!?"

In the final episode they make meta references to their Genre type.
    Momoko and Konami get their own robot, Operatiger with a Voltron inspired combining cat theme, and their former commander starts shouting at them about it being "10 years outside of our genre!!"

20. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a fun series. Lots of robot fights but they have to pay for all the damages so the pilots get scolded when the robot gets dents or breaks. One episode they had to fill out tons of paperwork to even launch the robot and the head board had to rush to fill out all the paperwork before the monster smashed up the city!

The english dub was not bad also.

Here is the sub of ep 1 and 2 but the dub had some fun stuff added.