What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

3. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

Updates on various shows I've been watching.

So I'm a Spider, So What?
    -Still good. For some reason, I really want to spoil people (specifically those actively watching the show) about things to come.

Don't Tease Me Nagatoro-san!
    -It's steadily been getting better, but it's hard to shake that unpleasant first episode. If it had started out with childhood friends or people who already knew each other slowly coming to terms with newfound feelings for each other, I think it would be more enjoyable. As it stands, it seems more about a bully/sociopath/sadist falling in love with (or just becoming possessive of) her victim, which is a lot less endearing. At this point I'm just kind of waiting to see if she snaps or something.

I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
    -I'm still enjoying this show, and still refuse to stop trying to force "Kobayashi's Isekai Dragon Maid" comparisons on it, no matter how contrived.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    We watched Galaxy Express 999 today and it was really good. The animation was incredible for what I guess is a compilation film? Like I couldn't even tell that it was just a TV production being cropped for a theatrical film as I can with others. My biggest issue was a few parts where characters would randomly show up that apparently you were already supposed to know and sometimes they died like a minute later. Was I suppossed to feel bad in that case? Because if so, it failed in that regard. Nevertheless, the journey was fun and the story was very intriguing. It was also interesting to hear Goku's voice actress playing the lead character. Overall, I am definitely going to pick up the Blu-Ray of the Adieu film at some point and perhaps even the TV series so I can get the entire story without those random encounters of certain characters.

5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    The Rintaro movie? Nope, that was all original. It's maybe feels like a compilation because it's an abridged version of a much longer story. But the animation was all new and the character designs completely different. They made Tetsuro skinny instead of chubby for no reason I can understand, still all these decades later.

As far as random encounters, that's kind of built into the episodic structure of the narrative, with all the different train station stops providing all new sets of characters. As far as knowing who any of them are, I guess you mean Harlock and Emeraldas? Yeah, anyone in Japan would know who they were, but their intro in the movie should be sufficient if you didn't. But if you somehow don't know Harlock, the movie you really should watch next is Arcadia of My Youth.

[​IMG]

The original Galaxy Express tv series is better paced and follows the original comic much more closely with fewer liberties, so I like it a lot more. And of course, the comic is by far the best version, but I don't think it's ever been published in English. Viz did part of the sequel comic series, which made no fucking sense to do at all, since the sequel is meaningless without knowing the story of the original.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Finished Emma: A Victorian Romance. I don’t think the second season is as strong as the first, with it kind of resorting to dumb melodrama to drag things out in the middle.

I’m not big on William getting engaged to Eleanor, since it felt like an easy way to waste time and churn out drama. It comes off as really out of character for Will to suddenly propose to her just because he wants to try and get over Emma, especially when he was very adamant up until that point that he didn’t see Eleanor like that. Like, I don’t know if I believe his character would do that, even with him thinking at the time that he’d never see Emma again.

Doesn’t help that Eleanor’s not that compelling of a character (let’s be honest, crying and loving Will are her only personality traits).

That being said, the last episode and ending itself are satisfying, which does help to counter the downsides of the second season. As a whole, I enjoyed the show. It has a nice atmosphere, and a good theme about going against negative traditions.

Oh, and Dan Green is in the second season voicing Hans! The dub may be enough justification to watch the show all on its own in my mind.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Odd because a few sites I've gone to said it was a compilation movie.

So how does it relate to the TV series then?

I know Harlock (did not know this is where he was from though), but have no idea who Emeraldas was, however, I was mostly referring to this old lady's son who shows up and then dies like two minutes later. It was very abrupt. Think of it as if you had the scene in Return of the Jedi where Luke visits Yoda and Yoda dies, but you never saw ESB to even know who Yoda is.

Oh, and Shadow. Like that plot on Pluto seemed pointless, at least the stuff with Shadow.

The only problem with the TV series is 113 episodes is a lot to deal with, especially when we've hardly even made a dent in God Mars' 64 episode run. I think right now I'll get Adieu and call it good for now unless Rightstuf has a really good sale on the TV series itself, then we'll do what we've done with several series lately and buy it to watch whenever we get around to it.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  8. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

This weeks fruits basket the final was the saddest thing I have watched in a long time.

9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The series is done then? Did not realize the final episode was already airing.

10. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    It’s not over, the last season is called “The Final”.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's a retelling of the same basic story.

TV:
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

Movie:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Look how different Tetsuro looks between tv series and movie.

You're probably fine just watching the movie. It's a long tv series because it was a long comic. But the movie gives you enough of a gist for you to enjoy what Galaxy Express 999 is. Again, I'd recommend Arcadia of My Youth over any other Matsumoto project for you at this point. It's a great origin story of Harlock and Tochiro (Harlock's dead best friend and Emeraldas' love in the 999 movie you watched), and a great intro to Emeraldas. It also explores some past generations of the Harlock family and how one of his ancestors during WW2 was tied to one of Tochiro's. It's also probably the best look at Matsumoto's overarching philosophy out of any movie or tv show made of his work.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks for the info, but Tetsuro looks far superior in the movie compared to the TV version. Wow, that image above the words "movie" like a drawing a 5 year old would have done.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kotori Sonoda

Kotori Sonoda Mihono Bourbon's hero

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Both 86 and Vivy being really good so far.
    Watching those two back to back, since they drop the same day, is quite bad for my mental health haha

Since I'm working on a gunpla right now I decided to rewatch Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise, but this time in dub so I can still follow the story while building. I'm not much of a dub person but I think they did a great job on the dub.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It was part of Tetsuro's character. He wasn't a hero or anyone special. He wasn't handsome. He was just a chubby little normal kid. And during the 1970s, boys in Japan tended towards chubby, so that made him relatable. Rintaro changing him for the movie reflected to an extent how kids were getting skinnier in Japan during the 1980s, but it also made him a little more cliche, imo. Sure he looked cooler, but that was exactly contrary to the point of the character. It's like saying Calvin is better looking than Charlie Brown. Well yeah, that's true, but Charlie Brown wouldn't have worked as well if he'd looked like Calvin.

Also, if you think Tetsuro is ugly, wait until you get a load of Tochiro.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

And thus we end the "Komi doesn't have an anime" memes.

16. CyberBlade507

CyberBlade507 Well-Known Member

I've been interested in picking up that series' manga for a good while. Nice to hear it's getting an anime.

17. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Oh I already saw that and was like, "Wait, he's the dude Emeraldas was in love with??? WHAT?!" :lol 

18. Preach Starscream

Preach Starscream Well-Known Member

I'm coming up on the end of rewatching Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight. Definitely a lot of fun.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am watching Strike the Blood. I do not know how I missed the 2nd opening the 1st time I watched it. It is a great song.

20. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

I just finished Binge-watching Martian Successor Nadesico, a very obscure mecha anime series from 1996. I love Nadesico because it's funny, and it seems to avoid many anime tropes as much as possible while taking the piss out of 70's-era Super Robot anime.

• Like Like x 1