What anime series are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by mrhillz, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I found "Acchi Kocchi" and "The Devil is a Part Timer" to be pretty funny. (not sure if you've already seen them or not :)  )

2. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I have seen Hataraku Maou sama already but I will give Acchi Kocchi a shot, thanks.

3. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    I'd also recommend Kill Me Baby if you haven't already seen it.

4. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Thanks, i will check it out.

I have a link under my sig which shows what i have watched. just for future reference.

5. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Sad Derpfester Noises

News Credits:
    Ah I seeeeeeee!

In that case I also recommend Daily Lives of Highschool Boys(I will never not recommend this whenever anyone asks about comedy). :D 

• Like Like x 1
  6. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Level E

7. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Thanks for the recommendations, I will watch both eventually. I am starting with Acchi Kocchi.

8. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So, my best friend convinced me to watch "Gamers". Even as someone who doesn't like video games, I think it would've been much cooler to see the characters play video games, rather than have an anime all about misunderstandings. Definitely the worst anime I've watched since Blast of Tempest, which was two years ago.

9. spiritprime

spiritprime Dudes, I'm a girl!

News Credits:
    Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS. It's 29 episodes in with... three recap episodes? Sigh. Yeah its good if it didn't have that many in just a short span of time. I mean I do hope that things pick up a little more. I don't need a recap on what I already know.

• Like Like x 1
  10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  11. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Finished SAO S2 and that final episode was so sad, I could barely get through it. Watching Ordinal Scale on Monday, finally.

12. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Finished both the 2004 and 2013 Rozen Maiden series over the last week. Both were fairly average at best, though I’d say the original has an edge over the 2013 series.

Part of the problem with Rozen Maiden lies with many of the characters having some sort of unlikable personality trait that is presented so prominently that you can’t escape it. While I wouldn’t say these traits ruin the characters (well maybe Suiseiseki, I really couldn’t stand her), they do damage them all to some degree.

These problems with their personalities also hurt the many slice of life moments in the 2004 series, making them hard to get through. This isn’t necessarily to say the show would be better off without them (as these moments help to hammer home why the many of characters so dearly want to retain their life free from the Alice Game), but they aren’t especially enjoyable in the moment you’re watching them.

Our MC Jun is kind of a dick and isn’t super easy to like as a result. Yeah he has trauma and won’t go to school because of it (the reason for said trauma is different between the two series), but this doesn’t make him more sympathetic. Maybe if it was presented in a better way it would have worked out, but it didn’t here. In the 2013 series where we have the younger Jun and older Jun things are a bit different, as older Jun is actually likable and younger Jun isn’t around all that much. Older Jun does do more stupid shit than younger Jun to balance things out I guess, but he’s still a better character than his younger self in either series.

The plot for the 2004 series is fine, though the ending of second season can potentially be very annoying due to where it leaves things and the twist it pulls with its main villain. It’s not a cliffhanger ending really, more so one that resolves the main issue but leaves plot points hanging that you’d think a third season (which we never got) would deal with.

The 2013 series has its own set of issues, starting off with the fact that it adapts from the second manga which was a continuation of the first manga after it got cancelled. Because the 2004 Rozen Maiden series diverges significantly from the manga, it can’t be used as a substitute for it. And because this series adapts something that continues from something that was never really adapted, there’s a major disconnect with respect to caring about and being invested in what’s going on. These characters aren’t the same ones you saw in the 2004 series, and thus you can’t just transplant your knowledge of them from that show into this one. Now the first episode of the 2013 series is dedicated to rapidly recapping the first manga to explain what had happened, but this expectedly comes off as poor and rushed.

The story for the 2013 series is interesting to a point even with the aforementioned disconnect, but here we really do get a massive cliffhanger to close things out. And it’s not something you’d see coming, since the show seemed to be headed for a legit conclusion until the last few minutes. And so, both series leave you with endings that have much to be desired. Yeah I guess it could get a second season, but you can’t count on that happening (besides I don’t think it sold too well anyway).

Ultimately, I don’t think I’d recommend either series unless you think it’ll scratch some particular itch you have for a show. Both have sizable problems (the 2013 series more than the 2004 series), and don’t really offer enough to make up for them.

13. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Shakugan no Shana is so much better than I thought it would be. Shana is just such a great character.

Watched the Kaoru arc in Amagami SS Plus and I love her she is just so fun to be around.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Got Well Soon

News Credits:

I can’t stop watching it :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  15. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Now, that I get the whole picture of the scene. I prefer the Japanese version.

16. Chuggington

Chuggington Is not a train

Currently on season 4 of Bakugan (though I really think of it as an "Americanime" personally) after suffering through the fan-ficy terribleness that was season 3.

This is the second time I've watched this show and I've found out that I barely remember anything about season 4.

17. Nemesis251

Nemesis251 Wakanda Forever!!!

I'm loving Garo Vanishing Line. Hope this version of Garo and the Dark Knight get Figmas. Sword without armor does too.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

I am starting Blend S tonight, I hope it is good.

19. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus Scale Charts are pointless.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Started ID-0 last night.

20. solarstorm

solarstorm Well-Known Member

I normally don't let my kids watch a lot of anime stuff because of adult concepts in a lot of the shows.

However, last week, while I was sick and zoning on the couch, I put on a few old episodes of Death Note on Netflix to pass the time. My daughter was playing on her 3DS and I didn't think abut it. She's eleven and in middle school.

On Saturday, she asked to watch more of the cartoon I had on and I realized that maybe I was being a little too strict/worried. So I showed her the show on Netflix and put it on to watch a few. She got really into it and a few became a ton. She watched it in the living room, then her room, and back again throughout the weekend. Binged the whole show. I didn't watch the whole show, but most of it, with her.